Best filter material for New Barracks

Rhysmachine101

Ok so my barrack is ready to be cycled and I was wanting to get some suggestions on the best filter mediums for the job.

Here is a side on pic of the filter medium compartment:

DSCF0703.jpg

water comes down the tubes into the far right compartment and comes up from the gap at the bottom into the left compartment.

Volume is 5.4L to fill with filter media... What do you recommend?

In the talk that Scott Haymes gave at EDAS he suggested that filter material should go something like this:

1. Pre-filter media designed to trap solid waste. Some ceramic noodles are designed specifically for this. Fairly open sponges are also good. You should rinse out the pre-filter media regularly.

2. Biological filter media like Seachem Matrix, sintered glass or ceramic noodles (make sure you get the biological filter kind not the pre-filter kind). Make sure you have enough volume of biological media so that the water will take about 4 seconds to pass through. You might have to slow down your pump or use more media than what's recommended on the box to meet that 4 second requirement.

3. Chemical filtration media like carbon or Seachem Purigen. Carbon needs to be replaced monthly while Purigen can be recharged in bleach. Get Purigen that already comes in bags. The loose stuff is a pain.

4. Lastly a fine sponge to remove any fine particles.

I'm planning on re-doing the sump in my barracks along these lines.