Sign in to follow this  
Wild Nut

My holy grail wilds

This is Minnie my unimaculata female I got off someone. Sadly, her partner Maxi found the 10cm gap where the filter/heater cords go through and jumped out about three days after I received them. Fortunately, Minnie is much quieter and I've since made the gap as small as possible to dissuade future carpet surfing.

Minn1.jpg

Minn4.jpg

It was hard to take photos of her as she was thoroughly convinced I was feeding the persephone pair in the tank over.

Minn2.jpg

Minn3.jpg

The blue-tipped thing is my thermometer. Everyone is fascinated by it so I used it to coax her out.

I have always wanted a pair of persephone, but as they are rather rare I thought I would never get a chance to own them. Luckily for me someone had some available and I quickly scooped them up. I’m hoping once they get out of their temporary tank and into their permanent home, I might see some fry in the future. They remind me of my rutilans as the male is very rough with the female on occasion. My poor rutilan female is missing some of her dorsal fin after a bit of rough wooing yesterday.

Per1.jpg

This is the best and only shot out of about 20, that I could get of my persephone male. Unfortunately, his female was hiding in the moss as he was being a little bugger and chasing her. They are very tame and hand-feed, which is nice. It's good to have wilds that don't spend the first month quivering in the corner.

Its funny I always thought the rarer the fish, the more expensive.... but this fish that is Critically Endanagered compared to a Macrostoma which classed as vunerable is far cheaper.

Yeah I know. I was surprised that they were so cheap. Possibly because they've been captive bred vs wild caught?

I thought I'd never get a chance to own a pair. That whole complex of wilds is my favourite. They're always so feisty and in your face.

Sign in to follow this