Black Orichid CT

Fletch

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

Today yes................yesterday, no and as for tomorrow, who knows. Lol.

It has been amazing to watch. He really stands out and is very interesting to watch. One of my favorites for sure.

Not sure if I am mentally strong enough to spawn marbles though. I am so indecisive, I think, that I couldn't do the choosing for sale or breeding. :-)

Oh my god... shiny pants!

this has been awesome to watch, but personally... I'm with bussy - I'd be heart broken if I had a perfectly ink black spawn and they all did this!!!

So we know it's the marble gene at the root of all colour-evil.... but do you think there's a specific marble gene that just gradually strips them of all colour and cellos out?

There's a bit difference between even marbling that changes... and just colour loss.

Interesting that his finnage is getting scrappy, I've had some very early Betta form the LFS with great finnage (CT) that just start to look like rays are ...weakening and breaking or... just getting messy - is it like that?

He's a fantastic little dude, can you call him "ta-da"?

-Ness

Yep, that's what it's like Ness. As you know, not all fish from a spawn are "top shelf". I THINK it's the norm for b grade fish. With my reds, all look "A" grade until a certain age. Then some went scrappy, some didn't. Same water, same food. I honestly can't think of why this happens except that it's genetics. Not all will be perfect and maybe this is the normal defect.

This is my opinion only. Just what I have seen and experienced.

Would love others opinions of this.

Hi Busman Paul

From what I have been reading some of the Indonesian breeders say water quality is even more esential with CTs than with other long fins and some keep thers in larger volumes of water than u would with normall Betta sunning the fish whose rays are curling can help and also heavy AIL dose.

I only have one CT at the moment but his rays are great by using there methods they dont have the limstone around the Jakata area thats why ther water is so soft

My pair of CTs I bought from Joty are pout of quarentine today so I am making sure every thing is good with the water as I have trilled it out with this red fellow

I hope this helps in some way

Cheers

Les

• 2 weeks later...

Quick update. I put this guy down yesterday. He went downhill very quick. He was in a barracks and his rays melted??? Wasn't fin melt, I don't think and no other fish is showing any symptoms but that is the only way to describe it. His body shape changed with a little dip between his dorsal and head. He lost his flare. He also started to struggle to eat. He would approach a pellet off centre, to the right. At the last minute he would snap at the pellet. He missed four out of five attempts. As I have read on other threads about blindness, I thought I would record this for everyone's benefit.

No other fish is showing any symptoms. Was this a genetic issue?? Only one to cellophane out, only one to deteriate like this. Is this linked??

Your thoughts??