Greetings from Gippsland, Vic.

Not Again

Hi all.

I've dabbled in a legitimate fish related interest for the past few years now. I started out breeding African Cichlids (by accident) and from there have plodded along with the hobby.

I recently moved out East from Melbourne with a 5x2x2 Discus project taking foot, but now have a 4ft tank with some Discus, Peppermint BN, and Rummy Nose Tetras swanning about in it.

Notwithstanding the previous comments, I've found Bettas to be just about my fave fish. Elegant, aggressive, and very easy on the eye... it's just like describing myself really... sigh...

Speaking of which, I was looking for something more humane than a jar to keep a HM Betta in ... I came across this - http://www.thereefshop.com.au/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=1475 - which is basically a 12lt tank with a small biowheel of sorts, a light, and I can put a heater in there as well. The only thing I'd do is remove the mirror so the fish didn't constantly feel threatened - oh, and put a lid on top of it as well.

Quick question for the multi-Betta keepers here - what methods do you use to keep your fish? If I wanted to breed Bettas, how should I accommodate them. It's not like a normal community type setup obviously.

Cheers.

Welcome Not Again, to the forum.

If you wish to see the breeding setup for most people, usually you can find them on 'The Gene Pool' section, where people put in their spawning logs.

At the very least, you will need a sponge filter, and some plants/ornaments/driftwood for the female to hide in, a heater and something floating to help the male build the nest.

To keep Bettas, many people use barrack system. Quite a few have posted their barracks on the forum.

Hey Again, welcome to the forum.

I hail from Foster (originally) so, lovely to see another Gippslandian joining the fold..... oh, that makes it sound cult-y, I shouldn't give away the addictive nature of Betta keeping just yet.

As for the multiple bettakeeping conundrum, well, I think we all have our own ways of getting around it..... do a search for Shadoh's fish room tour to start with.

For us cool climate southerners, a barracks system is a good idea - and a nightmare to design.

You could always partition a large tank, work out a way to heat and filter the bloody thing, and you're half way there.

I'm working on a barracks design for 8+ fish at the mo'..... I'll keep you posted on that.

The mirror box looks good size-wize, but I imagine would be a pain in the bottom to photograph through, and the mirrored back might be a constant antagonist for your firey little steed.

it sounds revolting, but Kmart & Woolworths have a few really cheap ranges of straight-forward little tanks with filters/lights/etc all buit - in (just add water, and a fish..... and a heater...... and condition the water properly)

For a fraction of the cost.... not a bad way to see if you like keeping fish in small quarters (as opposed to equally small quarters, in a bigger tank, with more and more and m... oh)

Welcome. We like photos. Please take them.

-Ness

Ya know Ness, you make some good points. Btw - I know Foster - I'm about 250km east of said town ;) Viva la Gippsland lifestyle, not gonna head back to the city for a while now I feel.

They sell those Marina? brand funky looking Betta tanks at the local aquarium... but they don't really seem like much more than a glorified jar tbh.

What I do have... and depending on how the motivation strikes me with my 1000 other "home handy" projects is 4x 2ft breeder style tanks, and a spare 4ft tank and a 2300l/hr pump... if I got the plumbing and heating sorted, plus some opaque sort of dividers... This will not end well.

I could divide each 2ft into 3 partitions effectively giving each Betta a 20cm wide x 30cm high x 30cm deep place to live. That gives 12 spots... plus the sump for a sorority.

With a little luck, I should have something worth photographing on the weekend.

Thanks for the info!

lol as long as they are comfortable around someone who constantly mutters and swears under his breath they are most welcome!

My Malawi and Tanganyikan Cichlids showed their contempt for my potty mouth with a seemingly perpetual breeding cycle that would make rabbits jealous.

Hmm speaking of foul mouthed ranting, I have an email to "compose."

Hopefully the weekend is kind to me, otherwise it might just be a case of an obligatory photo of my pleco ;)