How do you set-up a new tank and cycle your tanks?

melbournebetta

I think we'll need a whole new thread for the monster tank Yan, I can't wait to see how you scape it!

Thanks for specifics, it's an interesting topic for new fishkeepers to see how everyone sets up their tanks.

Lord knows if I'd read this thread with my first tank i might not have melted all my boys. AH WELL... live and ya learn eh?

(les, I think i love you, your the only guy i know who wouldn't press backspace and go again.)

Ok well here's an oopsie for you. Looks like I forgot to add the amazon buffer, or I didn't add the correct dosage. I can't rightly remember. kH is 0 and as a result my pH is 7.6. I'll get things back where they should be over a few days.

Ammonia 0

Nitrite 0

Nitrate 0

kh 0

ph 7.6

phosphate 0.25-0.5 (been battling black beard algae for many months now.. GRRR!!!)

I did start a thread/tank journal (we should really have a tank journal forum section.. hint hint) in prep. for the new tank.. But then the delays hit. I will be using it when the tank gets here. Trust me, you guys will be sick of the 'And I just fed them and they are all eating.' updates every hour.

They are pretty quick growers but it can take a while for them to get that growth spurt. Mine was very small for a long time, then within 2 months it more than doubled it's size. I wouldn't use them to cull fry, they're pretty useless really. Nocturnal and slow moving with a small mouth, despite what some other people have said to me they appear to be pretty lousy hunters.

He hasn't touched a single fish in my tank where as the red-tailed black shark I got a month earlier grew extremely fast and managed to pick off over 15 pygmy and habrosus corydora, 2 rasbora maculata and several rasbora espei before he finally got what was coming to him :devil: A shark would be much better for fry recycling! LOL

Well thats a real suprise as everone seems to say watch out for the knife fish but a red tail shark you recone MMMMM do you recon they would be better than an Oscar? I jut hate to see things go to waist so if I am culling somthing should benefit from it.

Cheers

Les

I think I'm the king of going off topic lol.

When I set up a new tank I add a layer of soil (full of bacteria, a layer of fine gravel, then I fill it up with plants, test amonia after a few hours if I haven't used the soil before or soaked it. If none is present I add fish and a filter if the tank is bigger than 2 feet.