Will frogs eat shrimp

les

Well I was going to move the shrimp to the glass house but I have a group of motorbick frogs that live out there in the bromalids and seeing that they are an endangerd species I am relucktent to move them on. so dose anyone know if frogs eat shrimp (sounds odd now i have writen it down) but it is a serious question I realy dont want them to eat my shrimp

Yes definetly Frogs will eat anything that moves

It just depends on if they can actually get to them, if the shrimp tank is deep enough i dont think they would be able to get to them. great at swimming but i dont think they dive much they would launch into the tank at a speed tho and go through the water for a bit but there is a naturall boyancy that would bring them back up. I think they wouldnt be bothered and the shrimp too fast, a very unlucky shrimp near the surface might get eaten. Also id be carefull of the frogs drowning in the tank if they even got to the top, they might not be able get back out since motorbike frogs are ground dwelling they climb a little but not really good climbers like a tree frog.

A lid would solve all this easily.

Ok then Ill have to make a cover then as I was going to use barrels cut in half not actually glass tanks.

I dont want to diturb the frogs as we have lost so many species hear on Perths coastel planes and where I live is the last area that these little monsters are found in the northern corridoor and the glass house stops the cats from getting them.

Thanks for the input

Cheers

Les

Yea a cover would be good, they might take to spawning in them otherwise as well and the tadpoles would def eat shrimp.

Do you have a pond for the frogs? even the other half of the barrel with lots of rocks and sticks in and out? a place to encourage them to spawn would be wonderfull for helping the population!

wikipedia tells me!

Litoria moorei: Motorbike Frog, Moore's Frog, the Western Bell Frog, the Western Green and Golden Bell Frog, and the Western Green Tree Frog.

The male's mating call sounds like a motorbike changing gear.

They realy do sound like a motorbike changing gear and its a sound we like to hear in our garden I dont have a pond for them as they seem to produce in the bromalids I have realy big bromilads and havent realy had to worry about the population up untill now. we have been hearing a lot of squielling (poor frogs beeing eaten by cats) of late as the cat population is increasing. I have asked the family across the road on numerous ocasions could they pleas keep ther cats in, as it is allways pooing in my garden but they recone ther isnt a prob so I am getting a cat trap and they can pay for the pound fee to get there cats back. I have been hearing our dog go of at some cats that come over our back fence and fight each other so the trap seems to be our only option. when our estate was first built we had teal ducks and mained geese breeding all the time down by the lake but now we rarely see any ducklings or goozlings at all its such a shame

Cheers

Les

Hi All I just finished up putting two half barrels in the glass house today and the bore water is now curing with duckweed and watersprite added so tommorow I will add another two half barrels and have them filled and cureing. I had a look around and I have frog spawn in my hair grass its not a deep tank and the hair grass just touches the surface with the frogspawn on top so I will make an area down the side of the house under the Banana trees for them with lots of bromilads and ferns I am sur I can make it cat proof if I try then I can reclame the glass house and not at there expence

Cheers

Les

Shame some people just dont understand the damage cats can do to the wildlife and let them roam around.

Goodluck with getting the frogs to move well worth the effort and our frosts are nearly over and time to move my broms out to the garden

love it when I hear the frogs in my backyard makes me think how good the backyard is but I do miss the skinks though have not seen any for years maybe there around and I am just getting to slow to see them

Goodluck with your shrimps I am sure they will do fine

Ray

Well the guppies got the barrels but I stil did what Razzi sugested and put netting over them that freed up two tanks so I can now split the shrimp in to two tanks but first I will make a proper fitting lid for them before they go into the glass house and I will have to remodel the bench in there

@ Ray

What type of frogs frequent your yard? and do you put your broms away durring winter I only had mine in ther for the frogs.

Cheers

Les

not sure what frogs they are never took the time to find out but i get tadpoles now and again

I receceived a heap of broms from up north (NSW) and it was very close to winter at the time so i didnt want to subject them to our cold so they have been in my spa room that has a little garden area in it to help protect them from the frosts

Not good pics but you get the idea

I have 20-30 some named but most no idea also received a few seeds to try when and if it gets hot enough down here (names at home)I know one is an air potato, I am really looking forward to trying but will need my fingers crossed for it to grow.

P1040195.JPG

P1040196.JPG

This was some before they got potted

P1040197.JPG

Edited by pritch33