My Walstad Shrimp Tank

Shaun85

Well i set my tank up this morning and it looked quiet nice however i have come home and it looks like the tank is full of smoke the water is all grey/white and visibility is poor lol. Due to the conditions all shrimp flightsh ave been cancelled until further notice.

Advice please? I am kinda disheartened

That is really wierd, the water parameters might help. I would turn the filter back on, if it stinks you wouldn't want it to go stagnant, I have no idea what is going on here but if it stinks I wouldn't let it sit still.

I would do a big waterchange too, dilute what ever is causeing this.

Please correct me as I dont know anything with the method allthough have used diy substrates but I thought this method should have a lot more plants in it from the start both root plants and stems to uptake nutrients from the water colum and substrate?

You may find that you have a bit of a problem with both sediment from filling and the start of an algae bloom? both of wich could take up to a week or more to resolve, I hope less.

Hopefully it will slowly improve over the next few days but I would suggest to run the filters as normal and as Matt has suggested run filter floss

and keep us updated on the progress

Ray

Just another quick one but how deep is the gravell substrate over the soil?

and you could try adding some pond clear or something similar to that to see if it helps

Ray

There is a big mass of HM in there somewhere, that clump could be used to plant out the entire substrate lol. I've started my tanks with less and I usually fill it to maximum capacity of plants with in a week and have never expeirianced this. An algae bloom would be green.

Sorry I ment bacterial as you mentioned, and that and sediment can look very similar.

As for amount of plants reqiured to start, I would have thought that would depend on the anount of nutrients in the substrate and the thickness of the gravel over the top of the soil, how much leaches into water colum

Just trying to throw some suggestions out there

Ray

The smell, to me, suggests bacterial bloom. Had this happen with my first NPT start up, suspect it was caused by the excess nutrients in the water column.

Leave your livestock elsewhere for now as this kind of bloom seems to use up a lot of oxygen in my experience.

Patience is your best bet honestly, leave the filter running but watch it for scummy build up. What kind of filter are you running, and is it brand new or 'seeded' with beneficial bacteria from prior use? Either way, water change or not it should settle itself in a day or two :)

the 2cm of gravel should be enough to keep the substrate down unless you where a little ruff in filling the the tank, with a soil substrate you need to be fairly gentle in my experince as it can very easily be disturbed even through the gravel, there may have been a lot of very fine particles in your soil that have just seeped through the gravel

The smell may be the bacterial bloom or ferts also seeping up from the substrate as suggested sit it out for a few days

Shaun there is nothing wrong with the method used and I dont think you have done anything wrong as I said I have seen many people have different problems using diy substrates the same way, and there is a possibiltty that it may go through more stages as the tank matures.

Ray

I got the sh^ts today and drained the tank and i dont know how the hell it got in there because i sifted the soil until it is very fine, but a worm was there and quite a big one. I didnt see him when i put the soil in as i did it by hand rather then tipping nor with the sifting. Unless he miraculously appeared when i was putting the soil out back.

Sorry but I think you are being a little impatient if you stripped the tank at this stage some things take time to achieve but hopefully you can sort out the problem?

As for the worm It would not have been a major problem given that this is a natural setup, one dead worm equalls plant food?

look forward to you trying again and hearing how things go

Goodluck

Ray

I did something similar with my tank and i'm pretty sure it was all just really fine dirt for me.

I put an extra filter pad in the top section of my filer and just kept washing that and also

diluting the cloudiness with new water.

good luck with what ever you try though, and keep us updated ^_^

I remember reading somewhere that the substrate needs time to mature it's bacterial balance when establishing something like this. I recall reading that you should only put in enough water to cover the soil in the first ?week(s)? Then increase the water level. This will help prevent getting a bloom of stinky anaerobic bacteria from the substrate -which is what seems to have happened here.

Maybe reduce the water level, put in an airstone and wait until it's not stinky before topping up the water level.