"love" betta

melbournebetta

While I could happily jump up on my high horse and harp on about how wrong this is..

I just can't be bothered

people are stoopid

But curious, has anyone seen this before? kinda creepy - and isn't it what they do to parrot fish?

...and dalmations, and lambs and... meh.

lvbetta.jpg

I put the image in my photobucket - but found the forum and image here

kooky.

Pics of this fish were doing the rounds a few years ago. I remember it caused a lot of controversy and a few forums had to close the topic due to the amount of arguing it caused. I remember that the guy who bought it was trying to breed it, but never followed the story to whatever the outcome was.

There is a lot I could say about it. Let's just say it is not my bag and leave it at that... :(

I doubt anyone here will think it's a great idea (come on, they're BETTA, the bigger the betta!)

But I've never seeeeeen such a thing... how dus it swim?

Why would you bother breeding it? it's hardily like it's genetic informaiton will be any different since it's tails been cut off... I mean, Dobermans tails are still long on puppies despite every gen getting docked...... like i said... hoominz is stoopid.

But the I realized those parrot fish I photographed in Thailand had no tails (I wasn't aware they were snip snip'd)

Is there a lot of this going on in the industry??? I have my blinkers on and only focus on the shiny little HMS in front of me!!

-Ness

...at first i thought it was photoshop'd 2-legged-horse.jpg?w=200&h=216

interesting, I have to say - at least they're arguing each of their points with a healthy attitude, no hicks just saying eff orf.

(just read Bussy's post - yeah, eggzaktly)

And, while I don't agree with breeding her at. all, at least they're having a healthy debate about it

...and then nothing.

Wonder what happened? $10 says the little lady died before the second spawn attempt.

Edited by melbournebetta

Jarrod, you're like a blood-hound with these things! You always seem to be able to sniff out more stuff on stuff!

Hey Ness, interesting find! I think you'll find that they're suggesting the fish in question was born/develped that way naturally and didn't get the snip. The issue of tail docking animals is a topic all of its own and too broad to cover at present.

I'm going to get philosophical now so those who get bored easily turn away now.

I find that article/thread fascinating on many levels.

On the scientific level, is it genetic, multifactorial, environmental, traumatic etc etc. The rarity of the finding probably suggests a multifactorial pathology. I have my doubts that the complexities of such a abnormality could be disclosed by a couple of generations of line breeding, however pure the intentions.

On the fishy level, this... I don't care about as much. It looks healthy (though deformed) swims/eats/poos/has reached sexual maturity and is probably completely oblivious to its "longitudinal impairment" LOL ...So from the fish's perspective life is OK!

On the human level, most people who know what normal looks like are automaically repulsed by the fish, and so naturally they are repulsed by anyone trying to breed such a fish or who is trying to create more of them, or even trying to understand the reasons for their existence. Some people seem intrigued but opposed to the idea of breeding. And fewer seem to be truly interested in the reason it exists, simply because it is there. A few just seem to think it's "cute". I love the range and depth of human reaction to such a simple thing... a mongy looking fish, and it exemplifies the diversity of human emotions, insight, philosophy and understanding.

I found it particularly interesting that Joep, internationally recognised breeder and biologist was against the idea of breeding the fish even from a purely scientific curiosity viewpoint.

Discussions of this nature are really fascinating because they then lend themselves to much broader discussions of genetics/genetic testing and then ultimately implications in humans too. Then we get into all sorts of trouble... what is a good mutation??? what is a bad mutation??? if it were available, should we all undergo genetic testing as a screening tool for cancer prevention??? if you have a genetic test for some other reason, should a health insurance company charge more if you carry a genetic mutation even of you may never show signs of any disease??? how far can we go with "designer babies" (being aware that alot of human babies with genetic deformities get terminated... Wiki downs syndrome = 92% get aborted when diagnosed)??? with genome mapping and understanding of the human genome, should people be allowed to patent genes/gene products for the treatment or prevention of disease??? and the list goes on and on! These things open up really big cans of really big worms, and they are worth thinking about, as they are real issues, and can be a lot closer to home than we realise!

Not sure what's come over me, but I wanted to comment here.

Edited by paul

Paul,

I think you've articulated what my sugar-deprived little brain was trying to deal with at 2:30 this arvo (cake-o-clock)

I'm mostly curious about everyone's reactions, the more I look at this little fish, the cuter I think it is.... but do i want one? hell no! would I breed it... nuh, why?

I thought Joep's contribution was poignant, and would love to have heard more about his opinions on mutations.

While I've encountered a few unusual mutations - I find it really curious about what's considered a 'good' mutation, particularly that this is such a new genetic field to me....

my background being in equine breeding and heritage, it's pretty obvious what to do with a 3 legged horse.

It is a philosophical dilemma, and perhaps a moral one ...and I was astounded at the forum's techniques for discussing it, while the poster obviously was having a hard time defending their position - the questions posed were all eloquent and less "hot headed" than most other forum contributors I've seen. (however, a perfectly good response to this is "yuk")

Just curious about everyone's opinions/reactions I guess - I had a lot of conflict with this, as I do with disability in any and all domestic species.

It's hard to follow a true darwinian approach to the world, with that in mind.

(and yes - Jarrod is our beagle! Neffy also forwarded some other links in PM)

-Ness

I like your response Paul and agree with you. This type of topic will couse some people to react and some people to respond and the difference of of the two IMO is a reaction is a knee jerk and a response is a well thought out and thought provocing narative. I do not say this in a derogatorie way its just how people are. I do love articals like this

Cheers

Les

I was going to write a response, Ness, then started designing a survey that would answer your questions, with the back up questions to catch the cheaters too! Somethings not right with my brain today. Anyway, you could just ask yourself... If I found that fish in one of my spawn tanks, would I cull it? Then ask why or why not, and then what does that mean.... and shazzam.. you're a philosopher!

One of my blue/red CT spawn, on his caudal, each ray extension splits into two. As these have grown they have bent/curled behind each other. All do this.Very strange looking fish. It is very even and quite a sight to see when he flares and is on the move. Adds a lot of size to his tail. Major faults though.

I still have this fish, a few people wanted to buy him but I wouldn't sell him to anyone. I definitely wouldn't breed him. But there is just something about him. He has the wow factor.

You know the one Jarrod. :-).