Heartbroken.

Sarah

Went into a chain petstore today, and didn't like what I saw.

The Bettas were in cups, most had fin-melt, others had some other disease - and a couple were laying on their sides breathing heavily. The other fish didn't look particularly healthy, either.

In their planted tank, were two axolotls. One was in the corner at the back, I couldn't really see it. The other was covered in fungus. It was bloated. They were on large pieces of gravel - the perfect size for impacting them. I stuck my hand in the tank (getting a funny look from an elderly looking man), it wasn't overheated for them, thankfully. Not that it was going to be hot with no heater in Winter. Pretty sure those plants needed tropical waters, though.

One of the staff came to feed them as I was there - a massive cube of bloodworm, still frozen. Right in the mouth. Axolotl swallowed it, but did choke on it halfway.

Of coarse with chain pet stores, puppies and kittens were in little glass enclosures with the bright lights to 'show the customer's.

I was so close to tears, wanted to say something, but when I do hint advice at places, people never take me seriously. I get the 'what's-this-14yr-telling-me-how-to-do-my-job' look. Often staff don't have the power to change things, either.

Mum dragged me out of the store, and gave the suggestion I write to the head-office. I think I shall.

Write to the head office, maybe even the manager, it may help, i get enraged when animals are not getting proper care at places... its also a reason i do not buy cage eggs, i have my own chickens now, and when they are not laying i get free range eggs. Home laid egg quiche is the best.

I do hope that, that store cleans it's act up though :(

Sarah,

It is heart breaking - and you are right to respond the way you have - the horror stories we hear about "wal mart" betta and other fish are just horrible.

Any time you pair animals with industry, the animal becomes a commodity and a dispensable one at that.

horseracing

cage eggs/chickens

puppymill dogs

pigfarms

....it goes on... and the way to change things is not exactly clear.

but don't bother telling the staff what to do - it's management, owners and the higher-level individuals that are responsible for welfare and practice.

Let me suggest that you write your letter (even dot points) and get some academic-kinda-people involved to proof and edit it before you send.

Certainly go the emotional angle - but you really need to make it sound not-too-hippy welfare-focused where if they have the proper care for their "stock" they will have greater success in reputation, repeat customer patronage, and in the end - you'll actually return.

Good Luck!

-Ness

My :censor: 's :censor: is exactly the same, perhaps they are all run on the same set of rules/guidelines? The axolotl tank has big gravel, plants (which mostly arn't aquatic), bettas kept in disgraceful conditions. I don't ever shop at Pet Paradise anymore, they are a horribe buisness :( Where are there puppies from? I'm afraid to ask... If writing yours a letter does anything I might write mine one too.

Edited by Matt_95

It's a sad reality of the pet industry that there are stores out there like that that give the rest of the stores that are doing the right thing a bad name.

Writing a letter is a good idea. Make sure you remind them for every customer like yourself who walks out in disgust, they will tell several of their friends about their experience which will turn away many potential customers...