Sign in to follow this  
Chuckie

Shipping fish

This is a link to fastway couriers, who I believe is the only courier that will ship fish:

http://www.fastway.com.au/

Just a reminder that shipping fish via the post is ILLEGAL. You do so at your own risk.

Over and out!

I revisitied the Fastway terms and conditions the other day. Interestingly enough - they state they do not carry livestock or perishables. So I guess we should be happy for the service we do get!! Going to make life difficult if they pull the plug! Cheers, J

Hey guys fastway do carry fish so do Australian Air express and can get next day and next flight service especially good for interstate (Shh I work for australian air express that is how I know) we do most of the aquarium industries shipments into qld only thing is they like you to pick up from there depots in your local area. In most cases.Or for same day service from airport depots eg brissy.

Thanks Briddo. Most of us do use fastways to ship fish. It's good to know about the alternative.

Here's a tip Jodi-Lea very very kindly called to give me yesterday.

If you are using a heat pack and pick-up of your parcel is for some reason delayed, you can seal the heat-pack in plastic, squeezing all the air out, which de-activates the heat pack (which needs O2 to work). Then when you open it again later, it will heat up again and you will have the remainder of the number of hours it works for.

It is an interesting situation.

Austpost T & C states no livestock. Yesterday I received a large box via express post (sender would not ship any other method) - very obviously emblazoned with "Live Tropical Fish" hmmmm

If you are going to send fish in the mail - perhaps not advertising it to all and sundry would be prudent?!?

One fish was DOA despite only being in the bag overnight - it is still not a very good method.

cheers, J

Im about to ship some fish next week using a courier service called couriers please im not to sure how there prices compare to fastways but there ticket system seems alot better.They are the people that my mate that owns a fishshop uses and he has never had a problem.

http://www.couriersplease.com.au/

i find it odd that it's illegal to send fish through aus post, and you can send them through AAE, which is a partnership of qantas and AUS POST :)

i have sent and received livestock through australia post without any problems, one delivery driver even asked what was sloshing around in the package and i told him it was fish. there 5kg express satchels are perfect size for fitting small styrofoam boxes! it's very conveniant to use aus post as i don't need to buy prepaid tickets (i don't send things often enough) the only problem with aus post's 5kg satchels is you can't buy them, you need to be a business i think. though if your fortunate enough to know people with access to them you can ask them kindly to get a couple off them. though for sending shrimp the 3kg satchels which are available from any post office are normally good enough.

couriers please are good, i received fish from sydney overnight through them, only cost 15 dollars for a large styro box.

virgin blue offer a freight service for pets/livestock/perishables, though iirc it's rather expensive.

Edited by MJay

Quarantine laws can seem odd, but they are designed to protect our native flora and fauna from exotic pests. The 'not through post' law makes sense in that it discourages (in theory) your average layperson from sending potentially harmful organisms through the post. The increased cost of courier/air services should (in theory) dissuade all but the most serious aquarists (that's us!).

Aus Post is also quite traumatic for fish. They get tossed about, x rayed, hot/cold, you name it.

same chance as a box labelled "LIVE FISH HANDLE WITH CARE".

I'm not very experienced with shipping fish, but I have received fish 3 times through Aust Post. Twice in styro boxes, once in a cardboard box. Each time the fish were fine. This is not necessarily very representative, I know. But the fish should be in transit for approximately the same length of time whether sent by courier or Express Post.

Of course, it's better still to just send your killies as eggs :)

Sign in to follow this