splendidbetta

Copper Gold OHm male + Rosetail sibling female

Hi All,

Some of you may have seen in the 'bidding prospect' thread in the auction watch sub-forum, that Luke won a fanastic copper gold OHm male that I really wanted :D Once I let Luke know that I would love to buy the male from him after he breeds him, he very generously and graciousely gave me the auction :D:D I will of course be paying for the fish and the rest etc ;)

So thanks so much Luke! :)

I had to buy his sister as well, since Luke has no use for her without her brother, but I think I can fit her in my breeding program somewhere :) If anything, her heavy branching and rosetail trait is sure evidence that this line must be a strong HM line, and the male is perfect for my metallic green mask 8-ray female.

So here are the photos...one of both of them together, and one that has been brightened in photoshop to show the male better. (red is showing in the edited photo where the black used to be...would this really exist?)

Posted Image

Posted Image

Please tell me what you think of them.

Thanks in advance :)

I think you are very lucky to get a female witout the typical bad copper characteristics (backwards pointing over-long anal fin). Nice straight edges on her fins too. Her fins are not as full as you could hope, but for a copper I think she's a step in the right direction in terms of developing a better form. The only problem I see in the male is the irregularity in the anal fin. It's hard to tell if that is just the angle he is flaring at, or if it is irregular in its length. I don't know about the red wash, sorry.

:) Thanks Lisa, I gathered she was HMPK, thanks for that Edie. I would have liked her fins to be fuller, and to have less rosetail trait, but at least I know that the females of this line have nice HM finnage... I also like the idea that I might have more PKs pop up in the future ;) BTW, most likely I will not be breeding her, but I will deal with that when the time comes. With the male, he is the intended mate for the metallic green female in my sig. She has nice strong rays to balance out his heavy finnage, and as long as the anals are short, I am not fussed. His anal looks damaged in the front half, I cannot see any ray extensions in the front of his anal, which leads me to believe that it was either torn off, or simply flaring toward the back of the photo, out of view. :D About the color of this pair: They have more of a greeny color than a goldy color. Would this be them reflecting the color of the water in the photo? The rest of the photo is tinged green. These will be my first coppergold bettas, so I have never seen a copper gold in real life before, and I am exited and anxious to see them :) Thanks :)

I have bred coppers that are seem to have a base colour of green, some with a base colour of brown, some with a base colour of black (with more of an orangey-copper metal) and some with a base colour of red. I expect that he is the sort that has the green tinge. I'm not sure how to differentiate between coppers and copper golds. I just call them all coppers to be safe. What exactly is the difference, does anyone know?

I think that coppers were bred to golds and coppergolds were produced :) Coppergolds usually tend to have a paler, golden green color compared to other coppers, but I have seen coppergolds with purple... Maybe someone else has more info?