Katapang Trees

les

Is it the kind of tree that could be pruned quite small? Eg no more than shoulder height? Or smaller, like a bonsai? I know those big leaves won't look very nice on a bonsai. But I'm thinking if it could be pruned small, it could be grown indoors in colder climates and given artificial lighting and heating. I could put them next to those other heat loving plants that I'm forced to grow indoors. *lol*

I'm kidding okaaaaayyyy..... *lol*

Ill build ya a glass house Razzi if you have room with solar heating it would be somwhere to sit on rainy Melbourne days LOL

I do like you idea of Bonsai the leaves would reduce in size if done proply But Polarding will keep them under control for now

@ Busman Paul

I realy dont have a clue how long it will take since those Pics they are now a foot tall but there is a fare amount of CO2 in the glass house with the composting along one side I do it to fsten growth in winter

Cheers

Les

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Well I havent reported on these trees for a while. Shortly before Christmass About November our English Staffy thought she would help out in the Garden and started pruning and relandscaping she also gave a hand with ripping out the not so old retic I just put down last summer. I was OK with everthing except for the prunning of my two surviving Katapang trees I replanted and reticed the whole garden and left the stumps in and to my releaf they sprouted and where grwoing quite bushy till four weeks ago when I pruned them up to single stems and dried the leaves (which work just like bought ones)

I took these pics on the week end

IMG_0240_1.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

IMG_0241.jpg

the other tree is only marginaly smaller. I will place plastic protectores around them for winter just to extend there growing period so next summer I will have enough not to buy to many LOL

Cheers

les

Hey Razzi

Long time no hear. I am sure it would work if the room was light enough. What I wood sujest for Melb members to pick a north facing wall that wood suply radiated heat during winter I do this with my Bananas and get such large crops it ammazes people but it is a good way of growing a plant by creating a micro climate for them. I will endever in the future to get some more plants on the go and will offer them up for members to grow, Your first on the list

Cheers

les

LOL a bit of George of the jungle. I use half wine barrels wich I atach coasters to the bottom, then fill with potting mix and plant with diferent lettuce, that way I can move them out of the heat in the middle part of the day and I get a longer crop out of them. This could work for a Katapang outside and you could keep it small by prunning

Cheers

Les

hey Razzi

If you are Set on that track then make sure you get grow tubes for terestrial plants any Hydroponics outlet should have them in fact they would be the best people to see about growing AIL inside. Matt is getting some seed from Harry so maby he will have some trees for you before I do

Cheers

les

I think there used to be a place that sold saplings. I'd be more inclined to get that rather than start from seed. Has your tree started to drop leaves Les? And do the leaves have the same fragrance as the leaves from thailand? I'm just wondering if there are different varieties of Indian almond. I was sent some leaves from someone in Qld once which had no fragrance at all. Mind you they were picked while green and then dried which is not what you're supposed to do. You're supposed to collect the leaves after they fall off naturally.

Hi Razzi

I have picked and dried the green leaves when I trimed my two trees, The water that I put the dried leaves into had the apearence of green tea but it had the same effect on the male PK he had a nest the next day and was champing at the bit.

The main reason a leaf turns brown or red before it drops from a tree is all the cloraphyl is taken back in to the tree as the tree can use this. The diferent types of soil with diferent trace elements available to the trees would certainly have an effect on the minerals left behind in a dried leaf, and also the process of drying. To my knowledge and from reserch I have not found there to be varieties of Terminalia Katapa as we would get varieties of apples, but that dosnt mean that there wouldnt be diferencess in trees grown in different countries a bit like natural selection only those that adapt will survive.

I do like the tast of the nut though it has a more consentrated tast than the true almond strange as it may sound.

When I first got the seed Jodie told me they where very frost sensative for the first year so thats why they spent the first part of there life in the glass house but this will be there first winter out in the garden so hear is hoping they pull through, I will put plastic grow sleaves around them to get more growth over winter so that I will have a better harvest next year.

I hope this helps and good luck with finding sapling I had a hell of a time and couldnt get any thats why I had to get seed

Cheers

Les