Katapang Trees

les

Hi all

Affter writing to I dont know how many people trying to find some one who sells Katapang seed I eventualy asked at the shire in Cairns and the guy ther was from Perth so he sent me about ten seed which was so good of him to prep the seed and plant I did as follows

Prepare seeds

1. Dehusked the seed (take all vegtable matter away from around the seed kernal)

2. Two seeds left as is

3. Two seeds the kernal slightly opened (use secaters to remove part of the kernal untill the seed shows set to one side

Prepare the potting mix

1. place potting mix in small pots and pour boilling water over the potting mix and allow to cool

After potting mix cooled I placed the seeds just below the surface of the soil and put the pots into a propagater with bottom heat I labled the seeds so I knew which ones where which and low and behold two weeks later I have two Katapang seeds germinate they wher the ones that had part of the kernal removed (I Use this method when germinating Mangoes)

It was an easy job so they have now been placed in the glass house and will be potted on when I have a few more leafs on them

cant wait for them to be big enough to plant in the garden

Cheers

Les

Sounds interesting Les!

I've read that they can reach 35m tall... so hope you have lots of room.

Future IAL supplier possibly? Hehe. Which brings the question - how long will it be before you can get leaves (terrible in the plant department myself... um, don't ask Matt about that haha)?

LOL at you two

It should be about twelve months befor the first drop

The size of the tree isnt realy a problem as I will polard them at ten foot then keep the auxilery branchess not to long and prune back each year. This method is used to keep tall trees under control as street trees and should work on the Katapang if not my brother inlaw has a huge property and he wont mind growing some or I could secretly at night plant them all over Perth and call myself The Katapang Ninja

cheers

Les

The Ketapang Ninja - I like it, I like it a lot!

Sounds like a good plan (even though it went straight over my head.. ahhh). Good luck, keep us updated!

They are deciduous, yes? You have to pick up the fallen leaves, rather than the pick the IAL's off the tree, right?

If this is correct... I'm going to be so proud of myself (Matt I didn't google!) :D

Edited by Sarah

Thats correct Princess Botanica

When trees get ready to lose there leave a certain amout of nutrients and elements are taken back in to the tree thus the leaves turn brown and drop of but in this process certain elements are left in the leaf and this is what every one is after in the tanins that are produced by the leafs I have a break down of an analasis some where of what it is for catapang I would like to try the bark as that should be a consentrait of the leaf

but first and formost you where right the leaves have to brown and drop to reach ther full potential

Cheers

Les

Ive read that the sap that is withdrawn from the leaf is noxious in an aquarium environment, thats why you have to wait for the tree to withdraw it rather then picking leaves, i would guess the bark would contain this sap as well ??

Thus with the two conflicting theories it calls for an EXPERIMENT and time to pull out the VT sisters if they still live by the time the trees are big enough but I am sure there will be other VT girls thowing there fins up to volenteer LOL

Cheers

Les

I not aware in any of the articals I have read the it actualy sheds it bark but I have heard conflicting stories that it is poisness and that it isnt so I thought id put it to rest by running an experiment I cant say that no animals will be hert but but it will be run humainly like all the others and documented so results can be posted

with every experiment ther is allways risk

Cheers

les

Hi Mighty Matt

I think that could be a good reason ther are trees from south america like the jacaranda they are originall from jungels ther are a number of other trees that come from similer climates that do the same some gingers are deciduase so this kind of behavier in botanical speicies is not just restricted to temprate zones you can also find evergreens in extreamly cold conditions (Aint nature grand)

Hey Ness do you meen pictures or me feeding the two darlings LOL

Cheers

Les

Les (a dose of your own medicine)

YES PHOTOS PLEASE PHOTOS , I want to know what POT they're in - what they looked like when they were... whatevering....

Just being cheeky - actually i'm interested in what the seeds looked like - but might be a bit late for that!

:P

Edited by melbournebetta

a bit like an almond kernal but longer and they have a realy nice almond tast the fruit its self is green and sort of like dull looking I have only seen pictures of the trees. The first set of leaves are just unfolding so as I have to takke Alex to scholl tomerow Ill ask her for her camera a get a pic I need to do a few pics of whats in the spawn tanks anyway

Cheers

les

Katapang babies only two in this spawn<P8110317.jpg they dont look much but seem to be growing quite fast

and hear is a spawn of bisexual PawPaw these are therd Gen in my gardenP8110322.jpgP8110321.jpg

and one more for Ness second gen BananaP8110316.jpg

all will be used in some way with the Betta

Cheers

les

Edited by les

Well I eat the PawPaw whilst watching the fish but they do have antibacterial properties so I think I will try and find a way of using it as an antibacterial maby in a salve form on the skin I just have to find some fish with bacterial infections and see how it works out If you can get hold of the bisexual PawPaw you will only need one tree as it polinates its self otherwise you need a male plant and a female plant in order to produce fruit Ill send some seed if you like

Cheers

Les

Oooh I hope it works out for you. That would be great Les, I need to clear some room OR build a new bed first. Are will they all be bisexual? Or will I get some males and some females as well. What variety of Banana is that? I'm wanting to grow one, it would be lady finger, do they work?by the way, how are the melelueca leaves going?