What the Hell?

I just went to feed my fish and all the ones that have always been in my barracks are dead. I have lost all the males from my first spawn except the one that is in the spawn tank and one that wasn't looking healthy last week. I have lost all of my CT's except one and have lost one of my HM's.

So from having 16 males a few months ago I now have 2 HM's (one of which doesn't look the best), my copper SD and 1 CT.

I did a water change on the weekend and they were all fine. I also fed them all last night and they were all fine. I had stopped the water cycling through the containers on Saturday because 2 of the younger ones had clamped fins but the others all looked completely fine. One of them looks so bad I can't even tell which one it was, its belly is burst open, the water is cloudy and the smell is revolting.

All of the females are fine, the only ones I have been losing are the ones in the barracks which are in a different part of the room to everything else.

I think I'm going to have to empty the barracks and completely clean them then move what I have left into them. I have no idea what has happened. The only difference is that I have been using a bit of rainwater over the past few months and used more tap water this time. It was still put in a reservoir tank for 2 days before I put it in the tanks.

I guess this gives me a chance to work out where I want to go with my breeding and start again.

Sorry to hear that, BettaObsessed. As Busman said, do complete clean with 100% water change. If you don't have other containers with cycled water where they can stay until this one is cycled, don't forget to change the water often to keep ammonia in check.

Sometimes rain water might not be the best water to use, especially if there is a heavy pollution in the air. The water droplet -might- gets impurities and nasties on its way down the earth. Then again, that's just what I read. It could be wrong though. I have never used rain water because I have no way to collect them at the moment.

Hi Bev

You may be experiancing fall out from kwinana as the cement works there puts a lot of polutents out with the Nrotherly winds it would be blowing straight your way I would not take the risk down you way with rain water

Thank you all.

Les and Neffy both of those would be a factor and now knowing that I will not be using anymore rain water. See where trying to help the environment gets me :D

This weekend I will be giving my barracks a good clean while the fish live in coke bottles for a while.

I still have 2 males from my first spawn. One of those has just spawned and has around 35 fry swimming around with him. The other is currently sitting in a small take away type container as he was not looking too good last week. Hopefully there will be some males in the 2 spawns I have just done and I can start again from there. I think I will use some of my tax return to buy a nice pair from aquabid as well. I'm really disappointed that my last spawn didn't have any males as that was a line I was interested in continuing. I should be able to find a male that will match but I will just have to wait until the girls are a little bigger.

I know I was thinking I needed to cut back on the amount of fish I had, but I wanted the option of which ones stayed!