My boy won't make a bubblenest

luv_my_fish

It's been 3 days now, and my red CT male still hasn't made any sort of bubblenest.

I used some bubblewrap at first, which he seemed to like as he sat under and stared at it for almost hours! No nest..

Then I changed it to half a foam cup, which he also took somewhat interest to. No nest...

I google search why he wouldn't be making one and found out it may be because of the filter making the water current too strong. So I turn it off. No nest...

Then I read that I should take the female out because she may be stressing him out. So I take her out. No nest...

I don't understand? Am I missing something???

heres a few things u can try

release the female let them play chasey for a bit then jar her again keep her in the tank so he can see her.

add another male in view with female in jar in the tank

give them 10 min sessions of viewing then remove female out of his tank several times a day.

let them spawn with out a nest he will build one as they go.

It also depends on the individual fish. Some boys will make nest in advance, some will wait till the last minute to make the nest.

The size of the nest also depends on the individual fish. Some boys will make it small, but large enough to hold the eggs, some boys will make it unnecessarily huge.

If it's only been 3 days since you introduced them, and no nest yet, you shouldn't need to worry. It took my boy almost a week or so to get him in the mood of building the nest.

Thanks for the tips guys!

I'll have to try them out. I haven't tried to breed in a little over 2 years, but the bubblenests where the least of my problems back in the day lol. I've only ever seen him make a VERY poor bubblenest once, and that was when I got the new fish from yatzy and they were put next to him.

I wasn't planning on a spawn juuuuuust yet, but the female looks ready to explode if she doesn't release some eggs soon =)

Hey there,

I've got the same issue - although I'm not 100% convinced the male is a full six pack (if you know what I mean)

It's been around 5 days, she's floating in a chimney, he's doing all the right wiggle dance moves.

This is the bit that will just take time, and like plenty of people have suggested - each betta has their own style.... and at this stage I don't mind if they decide to wrap, not wrap, hang out, start going steady or just "be friends"

I'm letting them out for a 20 min flirt session daily - the rest of the time is spent pulling faces and building up the sexual tension - oh the joys of the dating game.

Fish, yeah - right.... um...

Let't not forget it's kind of the 'wrong time' to be breeding, as far as I understand it's pretty seasonal - I'm trying my luck (as are you it seems) but spring is going to be much easier.

As for bubble nests, make sure you're not overlooking the obvious:

-Humidity

-Tannins (make the water sticky for the nest to last)

-Undisturbed tank (so the male feels secure)

-Lots of flirting/intros/short chase sessions etc

Good luck!

-Ness

Hey there,<div><br></div><div>I've got the same issue -&nbsp;although&nbsp;I'm not 100% convinced the male is a full six pack (if you know what I mean)</div><div>It's been around 5 days, she's floating in a chimney, he's doing all the right wiggle dance moves.</div><div><br></div><div>This is the bit that will just take time, and like plenty of people have suggested - each betta has their own style.... and at this stage I don't mind if they decide to wrap, not wrap, hang out, start going steady or just "be friends"</div><div>I'm letting them out for a 20 min flirt session daily - the rest of the time is spent pulling faces and building up the sexual tension - oh the joys of the dating game.</div><div>Fish, yeah - right.... um...&nbsp;</div><div><br></div><div>Let't not forget it's kind of the 'wrong time' to be breeding, as far as I understand it's pretty seasonal - I'm trying my luck (as are you it seems) but spring is going to be much easier.</div><div><br></div><div>As for bubble nests, make sure you're not overlooking the obvious:</div><div><br></div><div>-Humidity</div><div>-Tannins (make the water sticky for the nest to last)</div><div>-Undisturbed tank (so the male feels secure)</div><div>-Lots of flirting/intros/short chase sessions etc</div><div><br></div><div>Good luck!</div><div><br></div><div>-Ness</div><div><br></div>

I actually don't think he knows what to do. It's like he goes to blow a nest and then goes "haaaaaang on just a minute here...what am I doing?". Then goes on his merry way, only to come back a few minutes later and do the same thing *sigh*

I was happy for mine to just "be friends" as like I said, I wasn't planning on a spawn just yet, but now I've started, I'm getting frustrated that they aren't doing what they are meant to be doing lol.

I hope you get some better luck with yours Ness!

The boy in my breeding tank is too busy flirting. No bubble nest.

The boy in my barrack made a small bubble nest overnight..

I was like, "Hey you're not the one that's supposed to make the nest! It should be him". Of course, they ignored me, as usual.

But I realized that the relationship between the boy and girl are necessary before the bubble nest. I've tried to 'destroy' a bubble nest before, as I was convinced, it was time to spawn, but the bubble nest was very poor (okay, it wasn't poor, but he didnt maintain it, so there were heaps of big bubbles in the nest). At that time, both sides were completely ready. I destroyed his old one, gave him a new material to work with and overnight, he made a bigger, more sturdy looking bubble nest than before. I released the female and they started their stuffs.

So get them ready would be the first step I guess :)

And don't worry about the female. From my reading, if the female is not mated and no male is present, she'd either drop the unfertilized egg or re-absorb them again.

And don't worry about the female. From my reading, if the female is not mated and no male is present, she'd either drop the unfertilized egg or re-absorb them again.

Ooooh I didn't know that. Maybe I've done the wrong thing by trying to spawn them now? Oops! :blush:

Naw, you don't do the wrong things by trying to spawn them. The male might not be in the mood yet. How old is he?

Many fish re-absorbs their eggs if not mated. But there are occasions that they won't. In that case, in long term, it may cause sickness on them.

I had a female Betta under my care for about 1.5 years after purchase time (From LFS, maybe her age was around 8-10 months at time of purchase?) and I never bred her. She didn't get sick at all :)

I don't know exactly how old as he is an LFS bought fish. I only bought him about 2 months ago.

It's been a while since I've bred them, but he seems pretty aggro that she is there. I know they are suppose to flare/chase etc, but he seems extra flarey and chasey lol

Give it a little more time. He might suddenly realize why he is in the spawn tank *lol* I have many reluctant breeders and I've discovered (with most of them, anyway - won't mention the yellow CT boy) that the most important thing is to make sure they have been conditioned and are ready to breed. There are some good advice above. I've tried most of it. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. The secret is to have patience. These fish are on their own timetables, not ours :)

How old is your pair? If they are young and it's their first time, have patience. My dragons were in and out of the spawn tank for months before I had a successful spawn out of them. Some fish are shy and won't even think of breeding if they can see movement around the tank throughout the day. My Dragons were like that. Once I worked it out and moved the spawn tank to the spare room, they spawned within 24hrs...

Sometimes they can get too used to the sight of one another. Try isolating them or carding them so they don't see one another for a week or so. You can spend that time re-conditioning them with plenty of live food. Sit the boy in sight of another male who blows nests (if you have one...) He might learn by example :D

Don't mention your yellow CT, Shadoh. In the time I have had him, he only blew one nest and that was in sight of another male.

Now I want him too, not one bubble. Tried everything, put another male in there (jarred) for 24hrs, nothing. Female in, nothing. Maybe he's g.............whoops, can't say that. Lol.

Tried everything, put another male in there (jarred) for 24hrs, nothing. Female in, nothing. Maybe he's g.............whoops, can't say that.

But then if he's...

Shouldn't he make bubble nest when you put another male in there? Lol.

It's a start - and I have to quash the inferred sexual persuasion of the fish, it's silly.

Him not blowing bubbles is more of a reflection of your provision of environmental factors, techniques, expectations and his instinctual disposition.

Killjoy, totally; but mind that we've been asked politely once about this (:

Must be the weather.. I've heard these guys sometimes prefer to nest after rain?

I've two boys here who have yet to bubblenest either. Must be more diligent with the meet and greets.. I'm just paranoid about them ripping each other apart <_<

I get my best nests after water changes and when the lights left on in the garage its like a contest whos got the bigest bubble nest Ill nock up some banana tea that will get them going

cheers

Les

And courting style - it's winter, so we're battling uphill for spawning.

I have a notorious pair that I will get around to documenting the courting process with (soon enough) but they've been within eyesight for 2 weeks....

and had 5 x 15-20 min kiss-chasey sessions in the spawn tank.

No bubbles, but at least I'm not seeing any biting or super agro behavior (That they are known for)

I'm happy to plod along with this until I start seeing some more pro-active nesting from him.

I might even pop a few bubbles in from my juvi jars to see if he takes the hint.

next steps would be

- float another male in the tank with both indented spawning female and male loose in the tank (competition)

- try other female (seems it's the male that is reluctant)

- further conditioning, rest the pair, try later.

So if you're not getting bubbles, persevere - you're not the only one.

xNess

What I find annoying is some fish are blowing nests, some arent. The Apache male has blown two small nests and the male orchid had the biggest nest going before I put him in the dating tank.

Hate to say it but I know, "just be patient". Lol

I have a nest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I pretty much tried everything you guys suggested, so it's hard to say which one was on the money. It's not the most fantastic nest, but it's good enough and big enough to hold many eggs so I'm happy :D

I've let the female out for a run around today, but I haven't noticed any sparks yet