Baby biOrbs and biOrbs in general

Nicola

Has anyone here used a Baby biOrb? or one of the bigger ones to house Betta in? Are they any good? I like the look of the Baby one its 15L but was wondering how well they do at housing betta with the filtration and such.

Thanks in Advance

-Nicola :)

I don't have one, and I'm interested to hear what the reviews are like...

End of the day I think you'd find yourself having to do water changes weekly anyway, my concern is heat... every betta needs a heater (rhymes)

x

What's in the box?

• Baby biOrb aquarium
  • 450g of ceramic media
  • Air stone
  • Filter cartridge
  • 12v transformer
  • Low voltage baby biOrb light or low-voltage baby Moonlight (Moonlight supplied with baby biOrb Moonlight version only)
  • Low voltage air pump
  • Water conditioner and beneficial bacteria liquid
  • Fish food
  • Instructions

Dimensions
  • Height: 12 inches / 32cm
  • Width (diameter): 12 inches / 30cm
  • Weight (empty): 2 pounds / 1kg
  • Weight (full): 35 pounds / 16kg
  • Volume: 4 Gallon / 15 litres

Transformer

• 12v transformer (UK)
  • Two connections (light and air pump)
  • 12 month guarantee

12v Air pump
  • Quiet operation
  • 1.5m air line with one way valve
  • 1m power cable
  • 12 month guarantee

Electrical and environmental requirements

• Voltage: 12v AC
  • Maximum continuous power: 8W

12v baby biOrb light
  • 5w bulb installed
  • Spare 5w bulb supplied
  • 1.5m power cable
  • 12 month guarantee

Of course i would be getting a heater for it :) they sell little heater stands to that it fits in properly :), I saw a 30L one ( or was it the 60L? it was big anywhoo) With a Betta in it and some community fish, and thought that the small 15L would be perfect for a betta. :) Just trying to look around to see what people think of it.

I love the look of the bio orbs but when ever i see them they have huge coloum of bubbles in the center from the filtration, and to me it seems like itd create too much water movement for the betta trying to breathe at the surface it might wear them out especially the more heavily finned ones, they are built for water that has little to no movement.

Since I'm not sure what BiOrbs looks like, I did a google search. Is it the 'ball' shaped tank? If so, there -may- be a problem when you're taking a picture of them.

Okay, besides the picture concern, I agree with Neffy regarding the surface movement. Also, space - wise, I think it's less efficient than the classic square aquarium (though, you will need to put in extra filter with the usual one)

On the plus side though, I think the BiOrb provides more 'fancy' looks to it than the good-old square glass box :P

EDIT: I suppose you can put the control valve to control the air flow, and as long as it has water circulation, I suppose it'd work :)

Edited by kertaz

biorbbaby.jpg

^^ Thats a pic of the baby biOrb.

found that vid of a halfmoon in one,

I'm limited in space in my room as Mum doesnt want it out in the house as there is "nowhere to put it" <_<

one plus with the biOrb that i can see, is the lack of cords, the airpump and the light cord go into one 12v adapter..less cords to get tripped on or caught on things or to tangle up. :blink:

Yea he is getting pushed about terribly :( constantly swimming against the current he goes too the surface at the end and gets dunked about a bit

I can't see an airline to adjust but if you could reduce it then it could be possible

Yea he is getting pushed about terribly :( constantly swimming against the current he goes too the surface at the end and gets dunked about a bit

Is that why the music in the video is so.. 'horror/thriller' type? :blink:

From what i can tell about setting the tank up, a air tube goes from the filter/airbubbler thingo to a pump, that connects to an adaptor, so if i put a cut halfway down the tube i can put a valve to slow the flow down so they dont get pushed around, but also so that the filter is still effective, and just to weekly 30% water changes

edit>> the set up vid i found

Edited by Nicola

ahh fair enough, i dont think plants would kill fish unless they died and rotted or something :P They really help with water quality when they are healthy tho!

fake plants can damage a bettas fins so the silk varieties are better if you do use them!

Ii do use the cloth type ones :) otherwise i also hurt myself on the hard plastics :/ im a bit accident prone <_< always have at least one or 2 cuts or bruises Lol. I am planning on getting a halfmoon off Aquabid :) tis gonna be a pretty one :cheer:

I cant recommend live plants highly enough, im sure the forum could help you learn about them

You can look into Jodi channel first http://www.youtube.com/user/Fishchick65#g/u for good fish that she gets from thai breeders, there is always the risk you will select this beatifull halfmoon from aquabid and on the trip over he will chew his tail or isnt the same fish :P on Jodi channel they have been thru that already so you know they have made the trip fine!

Edited by Neffy

yeah that is the one i am talking about but there are different prices all over the place like this one http://www.mypetwarehouse.com.au/store/product/12490/AQUA-ONE-START-KIT-TROPICAL-40/ I'll have a look in petbarn tomorrow ( drag mum there <_< ) and see what their pricing is, how big it is.. it is a case of if i can fit it in my room

Right at this very moment? Not so much, maybe in the future when i have money saved up.. yes lol there are like ANZ prepaid debit cards... you can see why im a bit frazzled with all the price differences.

Edit: I managed to find a old petbarn Catalogue online from december 2010 as there are no recent ones... and it has the 45L one.. "Aqua One Tropical Starter Kit 45L NOW $89 SAVE $31 Includes: Glass Aquarium with lid, hang on filter, coloured gravel,tropical food, water conditioner, glass heater, and thermometer.Suitable for tropical fish." soo.. 89+31=120.. so the tank is aparently around 120.. Humm.

Edited by Nicola

Decided agaisnt the biOrb :) Went to pet barn today and looked at the Aqua one tank(turns out its only 38L for 120$), and also the Blue planet classic 50L tank for 150... it doesnt come with a heater but i decided to get that, and a 50W heater to go with it. :)

at the moment my neons are hanging around the heater and filter getting used to so much room :cheer:

Newtank026.jpg

Edited by Nicola

I honestly do not know :) but i got a 50L tank today, owe mum 20$ though..oops Lol. I moved most of the gravel from the smaller tank into the bigger one, and dosed it with stability, and now the neon tetra's are in there crusing around like fish do.

Nicola - sounds like you're on the right track.

Personally I love live plants - i keep killing certain types - so I just cross them off my list and buy different types next time.

Crypts and Java fern, and Anubias all seem to do well with any sort of lighting conditions.

Those silk plants are kind of alright (especially when they're up the BACK of the tank!)

Good luck!