Brisbane Betta Club *MEETING SAT AUGUST 20, 11AM*

shadoh

I was in Fishchicks today and we were chatting about shows and clubs and it got me thinking about local betta clubs. I'm just putting some feelers out at the moment to guage interest...

So is anyone out there interested? Leave your thoughts/intention of interest here and perhaps we can organize an informal meeting to start off, discuss things and take it from there...

Edited by shadoh

• Replies 121
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, that's a start... :D

I was thinking of an informal meet towards the end of next month and perhaps a visit to fishchicks.

Honorary members always considered and welcome! Was thinking of interstate/club shows sometime down the track (definitely not until next year...)

Come on people, let's throw some ideas around! :D

I'll be in Brisbane 13/14 October for work - would be happy to meet somewhere on the Thurs evening or even the Friday afternoon..... could time meetings around the major auctions for those coming from out of town and at other times in between for the Brisbane members.....

Organising a fish shop crawl would be great - perhaps in conjunction with members of other aquarium societies - I'm VP of the Wide Bay Aquarium Society and could see if we could organise a few members to join in a fish shop crawl..... maybe even have it as a regular event with a start or a finish somewhere to share what has been 'found' and a bbq or something like that.....

I've just received an email from Jack Tobin of the iBC. He is asking for a list of members for Betta Australis. This club is still on their books, and still has a bank account with a substantial amount of money in it. Depending on what people would like to do - this club could be resurrected or "reborn". I think the paperwork is still around somewhere, plus there are banners and signs. Betta Australis has 4 members at present (myself and the treasurer are signatories on the bank account). A club needs 5 IBC members to stay accredited. One membership is a family so 2 more separate members are required.

It may be an easy way to start up a club again.

During my recent visit to Asia I was HOUNDED about Australia's lack of clubs and shows. I am willing to help with both, but will not commit to anything without a large amount of trustworthy support. Have been left "standing at the altar" far too many times to go down that route again.

The Australian Betta Scene was set back almost a decade by the actions of certain individuals several years ago. It's probably time to try again. The Betta clubs in Asia are keen to support any shows held. It would be nice to have the sort of camaraderie, friendship and support in a Brisbane club that the Asian clubs display.

There is possibly space to hold meetings and table shows in the arcade, I am happy to talk to Ace Comics about hiring space from them.

So as far as a club goes I am willing to offer complete, wholehearted support, but I will not lead.

Best regards, someone

Would love to be able to participate in this. As I work every weekend, the time i can commit to helping actual shows/meets is limited (can get one or two off, just not all the time. ). Would be more than happy to help in any way i can.

As for needing two new members, both Shadoh (Jarrod) and myself (Paul) would join tomorrow.

Wow someone, that is a wonderful opportunity you present us, just to have your support/advice is fantastic.

I'm more than happy to lead, as I am the one to bring up the subject (if everyone is happy with that...) I am a member of the IBC, so that is one more towards keeping Betta Australis accredited. someone, what do we need to do to join up?

As I said earlier, I am looking at an informal first meet with interested parties. We could meet at the coffee shop along the strip of shops someone's shop is located. We could meet over coffee and have a chat about our goals and expectations with the club, then go downstairs for a "look" (ie:big buy up...*lol* ) at Fishchicks.

Let's aim for the second (or third) Weekend in August. Leave your details regarding your availability here, and we'll try and settle for a day that will suit the majority. If you belong to other forums, or know of any "Betta" people that aren't online, spread the word!

someone, your support is most welcomed and appreciated. Thank-you so much :)

More than happy to support the Betta network.

I heard over and over about the enthusiasm the Thai breeders have to encourage Aussie breeders/keepers/showers to get their acts together.

If it needs a website, branding, energy, enthusiasm, networks - say the word, I'll do it.

(Pending IBC member)

-Ness

Please not a Sunday. I lose my double time.......lol. As long as I have notice, I should be able to work it out. :-).

Happy to join IBC and local club. Will talk to you Jarrod about it soon. :-)

I'm an IBC member and would be happy to join a club that is closer to me - am a member of Sydney Splendens to support it but would be more able to attend meetings from time to time in Brisbane if that's where Betta Australis is based.....

just awesome guys.

If you are an IBC member and keen to join the club please email me and I will contact the IBC. We will need a meeting to elect office bearers etc at some stage. I'm happy to take the role of show chair or such.

Cheers, someone