Upgrade (Almost) Complete

Pyrefly

They are coming out of their shell a bit tonight Jarrod.. and they are all starting to come beg for food when I hover nearby!

paul - Giggling at my one-eyed wigglebums? You monster :D

Wild Nut - *cough* Not my fishroom.. My dining room <_<

Think you're pretty lucky to be honest, I WISH my Shubbies didnt consider everything green a tasty potential snack! Once you start, hard to go back.

You can try blanching the lettuce, brocolli and zucchini are favourites too. Thin, easily nibbled slices to begin with, don't be tempted to leave it more than 24 hours if they havent touched it, zucchini in particular will turn to mush and clog filters.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Haha my bedroom is my 'fish room'. I have about 20 tanks in there, an empty 450 litre on my floor and a blackworm colony going for my wilds. My mum finally drew the line at installing my own sink.

I've tried blanched lettuce, peas and zucchini; they just ignore it. They do like duckweed though. Put some in the tank to grow and it was gone in about 30 seconds flat.

• 4 months later...

Got a bit snap-happy last night/this morning, thought it was time for some more show and tell.

18-01-2012shubbies.jpg

The 4ft as it currently stands. Crypts are filling out nicely, though I have bunched them towards the middle a bit to try and emulate the popular 'Island' style of planting. Have trialled (and failed) a few other plant species in here, but its all just shubbie-chow. I'm pretty happy with it overall really.

I still need to rehome the fantails in here, ideally I want to get it down to just the three big shubbies. Anybody with a pond and a love of spoiled, slimey puppydogs, feel free to get in touch.

18-01-2012flash.jpg

Caught a nice snap of one of Jarrod's boys. Meet 'Flash' the shameless camera flirt.

18-01-2012gourami1.jpg

And introducing three new additions..

Been salivating over gourami forever, and these guys (Pearl Gourami) were a treat from Hubs following the big fishy fiasco of 2011. They're still very shy, but responding well to bloodworm bribery :D

Edited by Pyrefly

Thanks guys :)

I might well try breeding the Gourami, but they are still a bit young for that I think. The little boy is coming out of his shell today, picking on the girls a bit even though they're both much heavier :D Apparently they are bubblenesters like Betta, which I think is just lovely.

18-01-2012gourami2.jpg

Managed to catch a nicer shot of all three Gourami. The boy is in the middle with the subtle fin extensions. These guys are zooming around the tank today, making themselves right at home!

18-01-2012midnight.jpg

This is JP's favourite little girly, living right on the desk where she can be flirted with and overfed at every opportunity :blush:

18-01-2012shubbies1.jpg

An end-on view of the 4ft, with so many little hungry Shubbie faces, it breaks your heart.

18-01-2012biff.jpg

'Mr Attitude' the Biffmeister wanted an action shot. If anyone ever wondered why goldfish have pride of place in my fishy corner.. This is it, right here :D

Edited by Pyrefly

Not only am I going to steal that absolutely gorgeous jar, but now I feel ashamed about the current lack of aquascaping in my Shubunkin tank :lol: Luckily they have no internet access so they can't see how they're being stiffed.

Gouramis have tons of fry. I had a pair of Gold Gourami that I was babysitting, who spawned twice and there was at least 500-1000 fry. I do love gouramis though. It's those feelers, they're just so fascinating.

• 2 weeks later...

Forgot to reply to this, sowwies :blush:

The wood.. I don't know. Its the smaller bits from my salvage mission, it could be anything :lol:

I keep threatening to plant the 'Zen Jar' just to give JP a grouch.

His girlfriend is indeed a Black Orchid (I think 'Black Lace' technically since she's all steely blue irids), one of my first ever female betta pushing on 18 months - 2 years old I reckon. Have tried to spawn her a couple of times now, but the boys just want to beat her senseless :devil:

She's wonderfully interactive, will follow you around the room in that jar if you let her.

Did pull her out tonight for a bit of a photoshoot. She's such a wiggler!

29-01-2012midnight1.jpg

29-01-2012midnight2.jpg

Her CT rays are usually much longer, but she had a drastic trim a month or so ago to fight off some fuzzy finrot. Growing back beautifully actually!

Edited by Pyrefly

Great photos Sarah. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the girls from that spawn really outshone the boys :D

Amazing transformation. The irids look so thick in places it almost looks like metallic dragon scaling :) If it wasn't for her distinct triangular shaped dorsal, she could easily be mistaken for another fish.

Is it the lighting in the photo, or does she have yellow ventrals?

Thanks you guys :)

Quick snap of a little LFS fella I bought myself yesterday. I went in looking for the usual array of interesting CT's this guy stocks, but instead saw this lovely little dragon-marble boy. Picture doesnt do justice to the wonderful colour he is.

09-02-2012dragonSD.jpg