Triming curled rays

Matt_95

A few of my HM boys have wavy/bent rays in their dorsals and anals. One guy has his dorsal folded in half! I was wondering if I trimed them back to just past the place they go weird would the have a chance of growing back straight? The rays really annoy me and I want them gone really badly. Curled rays are environmental arn't they? I have heard of it being done in CT, why not HM?

I just tried this, I would not recomend it, you can't get easy access to the fins and it stresses the fish. I feel absolutly terrible for doing this to him :( never again, it is not important, it's not hurting them to have curled rays.

I must confirm that they do indeed feel the trim. I have done this, but to a fish who had fin rot that I couldn't get on top of despite continual medication. As Sarah mentioned, the fish does flinch as the scissors cut. Also, the rays do bleed temporarily and the fish is quite distressed for a while afterwards.

I had discussed this "surgical" approach to fin rot in a thread some time back. Having done it, I wouldn't recommend it, and despite some initial very rewarding results, the fish died a few weeks later.

I remember citing some writing that confirmed the fish have nerve endings (during a tail biting discussion) thus my persuasion against it.

Ah well.. you only need to lear that lesson once, and we all know you're a perfectionist Matt1000, so you better breed some perfect lil fish.

We all make mistakes - I just bloody siphoned up my perfect BT turq boy and shredded his fins. what the?. oops.

clumsyNess

Sometimes being a perfectionist is hard *wiped away a tear* I'm in the process of tearing down my planted tank, it annoys me to see it in such a horrid condition. Good news is, is that Mum said if I sell the 4 foot I might be aloud a rack to fill up with tanks :D

Oh no! I hope his fins grow back ok, Cadbury almost had his fins sucked up yesterday, lucky he is a strong swimmer :D

The typo in the tittle is annoying me now I have seen it *lol*

You..... filed down.... his dorsal?

*cough, splutters* MATT1000 A PERFECTIONIST!?!?! Um, I think NOT! Gosh, have you SEEN this?

IMG_3748.jpg

Er, excuse me.. but the front of that tank does not look like a perfectionist frontoftank.