Sign in to follow this  
Sarah

Shipping Guppies

So I've never shipped fish before (have once posted grindals, killed them all.. but that's another story haha), and Matt wanted me to ship him up a trio of guppies.

So, what is the best way to do this?

I'm thinking double bagging them, either together or separate (probably separate, or just females together), and putting them into a box, with express post.

OR, Matt said small drink bottles? I have heaps of fish bags, so would prefer the bag idea, but just want to get a second opinion on it.

Also, air.

Would it be OK to pump them air using airline from an air pump (air pump pumps air, seems a good idea to me)?

Does this sound like an OK thing to do?

Thanks.

Also, would any chemicals be needed to ensure their safety?

Also, would any chemicals be needed to ensure their safety?

I received a trio from jodi lea, females where together male seperate, double baged water was slightly blue but im not sure what it is sorry :P

when you say box do you mean styrofoam or cardboard? id strongly recommend a styrofoam box

you can pump them with an airline but itd be just the same as the room air. its not going to be pure O2 like fish shops do them up.

Thanks Neffy!

The blue stuff is a mild sedative to calm the fish.

I was going to go with cardboard, someone sent my CT pair in the same box (I kept the box haha)....

I guess I could try and find a styrofoam one, that would be best.

Thanks for the info!

If you're dropping by auburn any time soon come into the shop and ask for a blackworm foam box. They're the little blue styrofoam boxes that have a little rope handle, I have heaps of these suckers laying around. They're great.. I bring home way too much stuff.. lol

I've never shipped before but received plenty of shipped goodies.

I'd definitely go with a styrofoam box as it's a bit tougher plus extra insulation. Double bag. If you have a lot of spare room in the box, pack that in with bags filled with air and the rest of the space with newspaper or bubble wrap to stop any movement. It's also a good idea to line the box with another plastic bag (shopping bag) and pack the rest inside that so even if there is a leak that somehow manage to get through both bags it's not going to leak out of the box and upset some postal worker lol

If you've got the bags we use at work they are hopeless at holding in air for any decent length of time, the fighter/live food ones are better but not by much. Or get some clear, square bottomed bags instead. Far better.

Are you confident in your bag tying abilities? LOL I've seen some shockers..

Great, I'll have to convince dad to take me to Auburn... not sure if that will be for a while though, he has been/will be driving me around a fair bit lately (love my dad).

Thanks so much for the info Yan.

As for confidence, I've never actually done it before.. but I was bored one time and spent a long time bagging and unbagging... quite neat if I can say so myself.

Sign in to follow this