Fish disasters

Jess

I was just thinking about the time when I was doing water changes on my B. enisae tank about 6 months ago. These fish are LARGE and shy, so you would imagine that I was so horrified when one of the adults got stuck in the siphon hose :D . I tried to shake the hose gently to dislodged it, but it had no effect. So I had to resort to blowing down the hose to remove it :D A few missing scales and mild shock, it made a full recovery - only to jump out of the slighty unclosed lid during a storm. My fault, stupidity really. I also bought guppies home from the LFS one and day and when I was emptying some of the water from the bag a guppy flew out and went straight down the drain, it is still MIA :D I want to hear your fishy horror stories! ;)

Ive been pretty lucky with disasters. Nothing really major. The main one i think of though is when i got a new female fighter, i must of been about 13 and she was a big fish, i was siphoning and she swam up near the end of the tube, and i thought, she wont be stupid enough to go near the end of the hose. While i was watching, it seemed like time froze for 2 seconds as i saw her get stuck in the hose up to the back of the gills, and the pressre suck blood though her scales into the water in the tube. I was horrified at it, and unfortunatly she didnt survive. I have always been so careful since then when siphoning!

I also have siphoned up a fish. I was lucky enough that I was using large tubing and he went all the way through (about 2 meters). He lost some scales and fins, but made a full recovery. My worst losses were when Patrick put his hand through a fish tank once. While most fish made it to the last inch of water that was left at the bottom of the tank, I lost a number of fish on the kitchen floor. The funny thing was I was seriously considering putting off going to hospital so I could look through all the broken glass and water to see if I could save any more. But as Patrick was going a little pale and was starting to sway a little I thought I better get him to hospital first. That was before the betta bug had hit, so I think if the same thing was to happen now I would say stuff Patrick, I need to save my fish. :D Najina

Touch wood, I think my worst self-inflicted disasters so far have been losing bettas through inadequately covering tanks; and killing one of my carefully-nurtured wild splendens fry. I was taking "empty" jars out of the barracks, and obviously didn't check one carefully enough (although I did look, truly!). I found the poor thing next day, crisped up at the bottom of the jar. I don't know if you count my tank full of "female" plakats as a disaster, since they all survived, but I got so sick of picking semi-concussed skydivers off the floor that I had to resort to putting a wire mesh security grille under the tank cover so I could feed the blighters without dodging flying fish :D (One even ended up inside my slipper).

So far, so good. I lost my first 'freedom fighter' this week. It was one of the ladies I picked up at the pet store. She decided that freedom was better than water... needless to say when I noticed her small tank (half way house to the ladies tank) was empty I saw her. She had to be the one RIGHT on the edge of the desk :D

I er, I tipped an entire bag of blackworms, 2 serves, down the drain. I was supposed to be changing the water! I have done a similar thing with ghost shrimp, but only lost 2 *phew!* Then there was the time I sucked up the platy. And the cory. Did you know a 3' fishtank can halfway drain itself in a day just by syphoning out of an airstone? it can :D I added a 'rescue betta' once, that ended badly. About $200 worth of stock later... Quarantine people! I once was disinfecting jars in boiling water and er, forgot. I now test the water with my hand before adding fish. Probably tons more. *sigh*

9 x adult Frontosa when the filter stuck and the tank crashed. I cried when I had to throw those big, big fish onto the mulch pile. 30 + adult royal whip tails - put a new puchase in - wiped out the lot with some fast acting and previously unseen disease. (never forgot to Q AGAIN) approx 20+ juvenile Chilotilapia euchilus when they were only new to the country - we brought them back from Sydney 2 to a bag (that very quickly became one to a bag) 18 Ectodus decampsi adults - filter crashed (poor housekeeping on my part) hmmm, actually, this is embarrassing, think I'll call it quits now!! :D

Umm... let's see.. Danio down the sink because i forgot they jump, curious cory up the siphon female freedom flighter at the office office turning into antartica and turning my tank into an iceblock (never ever again will i go without a heater in the office) while rearranging my tank i forgot i had juvie panda cory and squashed him, then remembered i had a panda cory a week later Mulitple male bettas parachuting out of holding tank during water changes and ending up on the bathroom tiles (from 1.2m height.. someone forgot to attach parachutes) <---- All alive though! Uh.. that's it i think.. nothing major

Hmm. DIY CO2 that backed up and siphoned 1.5L of stinky beer into a 6’ community tank. No survivors. Loss of filter on 316L brackish tank on a 40 degree day – loss of an adult saratoga, 2 adult (12”) salmon cats, 2 scats the size of a teasaucer. Multiple jars lined up on the bench after fish had been bagged. Rinsed with hot water, then drained… discovered on draining that one had still been occupied!!!!! I am still traumatised by that one. 2” white leatherskin koi jumped from pond, mauled by my dog. Still soft when I found it. I had had him for about 10 years… Added an otherwise healthy opaque SD with fin rot back to his tank after a PP bath. He flicked once and dropped dead. I shipped baby severums 3 to a bag. Many suffered ammonia burns and several died. That was just silly of me. That’s all for now. I’m sure I’ll think of more.

I had a thermometer explode in my 4ft during a heatwave last summer. Came home to a white cloudy tank with glass and iron balls though everything. The only survivors were 6 neons and a handful of watersprite. I had a bacterial septacemia infection that wiped out a couple of hundred bettas (including fry and juvies) a couple of years ago.

1. Heating a small tank of zebra danios with a chicken heatlamp (before I got my first heater) Tank overheated = cooked fish :goodo: 2. First betta spawn, 12 l tank heated with a heatlamp at correct distance, incorrect use of heatlamp led to the wiring around the globe to become red-hot. Had to go to school, so didnt want to risk burning the house down, turned the lamp off. Bought a tank heater after school, got home 9pm, water cold, bbs hatchery dead, fry got velvet, all died within 2 days. 3. First successful spawn. Too many bbs being left uneaten because they were fed to quickly for all of them to be caught by the fry before getting sucked into filter. Put a 3 l container containing harvested bbs in clean salt water, drip siphoned into fry tank with the end of it inside the tank water. Airline tubing. Idea was for the fry to see the bbs and eat it as it was oozing out. 2 fry decided they were smarter than the rest, and swam up the tube (normal airline tube). Luckily I saw them and blew them out from ther other end. Never thought that the same might happen when I was not there to save them. It did happen again, 2 of the best fry died that way ;) 4. Best female from 1st successful spawn commited bowl-acide 1 week after her own spawning ;) 5. Mother of this female also commited bowl-acide 6 months later. 6. Moved house. Most jarred bettas kept in bottles standing in 2 big tubs of heated water, in the garage. Forgot to turn heaters back on after waterchanges...2 cold nights killed 36 VT bettas :) Apart from making the bedroom or kitchen become a swimming pool during water changes, thats about it ;)

Archived