New AquaBid fish...

shadoh

I picked up my new AB fish today. On the whole, I am happy with them. The downer is that the male DT has chewed off most of his tail, half his dorsal and started on his anal fin. He has a little bit of new growth so there is hope. The breeder sent over a replacement pair (to compensate for the damage) with my order - a pair of white PK's :D The green dragon PK pair I had ordered is more beautiful in person than their AB photos.

Here are some photos...

Orange/Blue DTHM Butterfly

What he looked like before he turned to self mutilation...: http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_archive_item&fwbettasdt1303387618

How he looks now:

He seems quite proud of his handiwork...

B1.jpg

B2.jpg

And the female....:

B4.jpg

B3.jpg

Leave a comment for a closer look at this pair:

W5.jpg

Gorgeous!

Shame about the damage, but hopefully it will heal up well and he won't do it again!

How lovely of the breeder to send you an extra pair. :)

Um, do I say something cool here for more photos or what?

That's a lot of thinking Sarah... Want a panadol? *lol*

Here is the last lot of pics.

Green Dragon HMPK Female:

No Flash:

G7.jpg

With Flash:

G6.jpg

Matt, you can get the flash effect by having a spotlight set up at the front of the tank...

Sorry Sarah, I don't have any more pics.....yet. I thought I'd let them settle in for the night after their big move.

Not that I am complaining - I absolutely love the green dragons that arrived, but I am not convinced they are the same pair I bought looking at the AB photo... http://www.aquabid.com/cgi-bin/auction/closed.cgi?view_closed_item&fwbettashmp1300641433

What do you guys think?

Great fish as always Jarrod - Congrats!

Just my 2 cents worth....

1. Shame about the tail bighter.

2. I couldn't figure out why the pictures had white pubic hair on them - weird!

3. Yay for bonus fish - they're amazing

4. The white girl is a fantastic example of being able to see the ovaries in a light bodied fish - she's ready for the spawn tank!

5. The green goblins are definitely different to the pictured fish on aquabid

6. They are fantastic looking fish - love the green goblins!

7. I have just named you next line green goblins.

8. I'm way over the two cent limit

:P

Thanks Paul :D

Since you went over - here is your change...

1. It is a shame that I never got a chance to enjoy him in pristine condition. At least it doesn't affect his ability to breed

2. Lol... *lol* It's filter wool. I used it to plug a couple of holes in the dividers. Within 5 minutes the girls found their way to their respective men...

3. I love the white! Can't work out if they are dragons or not...

4. I thought that was her ovaries :) plenty of plans for this pair

5. I was 99% sure they weren't the same. I am happy regardless

6. Green Goblins.... I was thinking Green Lanterns

7. I think I just gave you your 2 cents back... *lol*

PS - Thanks Jo. I am happy regardless. I am sure I'll get some pretty fry out of him...

Busman Paul - I am happy regardless. It all worked out in the end and it is going to be the last fish purchase I make in a long long time :)

Great fish as always Jarrod - Congrats!

Just my 2 cents worth....

1. Shame about the tail bighter.

2. I couldn't figure out why the pictures had white pubic hair on them - weird!

3. Yay for bonus fish - they're amazing

4. The white girl is a fantastic example of being able to see the ovaries in a light bodied fish - she's ready for the spawn tank!

5. The green goblins are definitely different to the pictured fish on aquabid

6. They are fantastic looking fish - love the green goblins!

7. I have just named you next line green goblins.

8. I'm way over the two cent limit

:P

LOL @ Paul.

To keep the theme:

At least you cna imagine / know what he looks like normally

LOL - more to the point why is the while "pubic hair" in your tanks!?????????

Bonus fish (esp boy) very very nice

I say the greenies are different - male looks to be "less curvy along the top line" (this is an analysis made with my 3 months of experience :) )

All in all - very :censor: nice. 6 outa 6

I recall hearing those words before. :-).

Yep. I said them almost 3 months ago after winning these fish on AB *lol* I've been tempted, but haven't bought another fish. I can't help that breeders are now throwing extra fish at me... :rofl:

They don't appear to be the same pair as the ones on AB to me, either. They are still rather nice, though.

I like the white PKs but is it just me or are they SUPER long in the body? Love love love the males tail shape though.

Shame about the orange boy. Damn tail biters.

They are long in the body for a plakat. My black PK dragon pair are the same (although their offspring are a mix of long bodies and shorter stronger plakat style bodies.) I love that spade shape tail too :) Don't see too many around like that these days...

Jarrod,

Looks like all your Christmasses came at once - I was curious about Supremebetta breeder, as I thought maybe his shots are a little bit too "vibrant" to be real - but that DT male sure has some amazing colours - it'll be interesting to see what he throws colour/finnage wize!

What are your thoughts on the length of his finnage (the DT gene) as probably factors in his tail biting?

Would you cross him to his little lady?

...I can't remember when you're supposed to out-cross to avoid deformities.... ?

(20 questions, sorry!)

Also - that white pair have me drooling, can they go in the spawn tank first? I think i'm willing to cross-over to the white side... after bussie's black spider CT's had me over to the dark side... you boys are corrupting!

The Green pair aren't anything like the photo- obviously you're happy - would you mention it to the breeder - just so they know you know that we know? ..you know?

Or not worth it?

The male in the pic is full mask and quite a different body shape (colour changes so much it's hard to make that call)

And the Female has different scale formation to the one in the pic... they don't appear as regular as the ones in the AB photo.

Regardless, the Santasack-barracks are full, and they're beuuudiful.

x Ness

Thanks Ness,

I'm very happy with my haul. It has given me a broad genetic canvas to play with :D I'll give the DT male a month or so before I access his potential for the spawn tank. I wasn't planning on breeding the DT pair with one another, as I have read that you never breed DT to DT. I had a chat with someone about it and she thinks it will be fine to breed them before introducing some new blood into the line next generation. My main worry was that the male already has a short body. The more you breed DT to DT, the shorter the bodies and the chance of deformities occur. The female is quite long in the body though, so I'm willing to give it a try. I am thinking it was an excess of finnage that contributed to his biting. I guess we'll see if it is genetic (tail biting.) I have to admit that the female has extremely long finnage for a female too...

I'm excited over the white pair too. I keep thinking of 100's of out-crosses I could do down the line (after they have a spawn of course :D ) As for when that will be, I am not sure yet. All I can say is keep one eye on the spawn logs... I still can't work out if they are dragon or not. I look at the heavy scale build up on their heads and think yes, then look at their bodies and think no.... Either way, they are my angels... Hmmm, I wonder what a black dragon x white dragon would produce... sometimes I wish it was as easy as mixing paint on a palette...

I'm not going to bother contacting the breeder over the greens. I haven't had a response from any emails I have sent in weeks. I'll cut my losses and be thankful that I have some amazing healthy fish out of the transaction.