Bettas types for dumbies?

Hi Everyone,

I want to know how to tell what type a betta is...

I get all confused with delta/super delta/half moon/ veil tail/crown/copper/marble/mustard gas/dragon/double tail etc

Is there a "bettas for dumbies" guide out there for us simple folk?

I want to be able to look and go "I think that is a beautiful ....." instead "ooooooo that one is pretty"

Cheers

Michelle

Hey Michelle,

No such thing as a dumb question! We've all asked these things at one stage (I've just recently worked out that IMO means in my opinion)

There's heaps of info out there on colour types and fin types - and certain shows have classes for EVERYTHING...

I love this resource Betty Splendens as they discuss the genetic history & development of tail types and colour - along with the "political" history with colours (see mustard gas etc)

Good luck!

-Ness

Best advice for a first timer is - pick a pair you like.... and give it a go.... I started with some common old petshop veiltails (before I started to sort out genetics and all the confusing stuff) before I went all out with the more expensive fish.... and there's a good chance the local pet shop will take the fry off your hands ....

Like Wayne said pick somthing you like and learn with that pair then when you feel reel confident take the trainer weels off and go freewheeling it will take over the force will drag you in luke I think though start with VTs or Cts as they are as tough as old nails I have the VT sisters that I use simply for experimenting with BOY those girls will live when even cockroaches wont

Cheers

Les

Edited by les

I have more problems distinguishing female types. Some that I thought were half moon females, turned out to be plakat or super deltas. Some that I thought super delta, turned out to be veil. :confused:

Their tail is shorter than the male and sometimes harder (at least for me) to distinguish between each other.

Edited by kertaz

Yeh I still get confused. One day I will sit and read for hours til it's all straight in my head (only to have it all knocked around a minute later)!

Great Question.

When I decided to learn about genetics I spent 3 weeks trawling the internet for upto 5-6 hours a night reading and gathering information. Most nights I was up until 3am reading. I learned a lot, got a big headache and find that I still don't know anywhere close to everything! I still have trouble with the females (sometimes what tail type and other times they're not actually females at all :D) and with the Delta/Super Delta/Halfmoon. I can pick a HM but have trouble between the Delta and Super Delta :)

Enjoy your learning, I know I did

(: It's fun getting to know your way around the genetics of these fish, I think even when you're a really experienced breeder, you still need to confer and nut it out....

so that's the fun bit - you never actually 'know everything'

....thats why I just ask the AA Brains trust, they're so smart, and good lookin' and helpful an all that.....

x

Hey, thanks for that, Paul!

Those descriptions would definitely help. Though, I'm still not confident that I can differentiate the female other than double tail now.

EDIT: And maybe crown tails :lol:

Edited by kertaz