Tank Stocking Ideas Please!

Sarah

OK, before you bombard me with ideas, I was recently given a 4ft corner tank (and a tall 2ft, but that's already planned for - RCS and one species of small fish). :D

So, I have no idea what I'm going to put in my lovely new tank.

I was thinking grow-out tank for future Bettas, but I DO already have a standard 4ft, and a 3ft for such. Although, you can never have too many grow-out tanks, right? ;)

So, there is always the faint idea that Betta fry may go in it, so maybe I should have something that should go with them... yet a grow-out tank is fit for a bunch of growing bettas.. so I don't really want other fish in there anyways.

I really quite like cichlids, because they are cool looking... but with bettas? I think not. So anyways, I think I'm over the grow-out idea.

I want to get something different (all other tanks are Bettas, so don't worry... I'm not straying from them)!

I don't really know too much about cichlids however, and must do lots more research. THEN, I'm not going for the one pair for a tank, I want multiple fish living together - but not a community tank, a species only.

Oh, as for filtration, the two tanks came with filters that sit on top of the actual tanks, can't remember what they are called.. they are part of the hood. Everything is in tiny parts, I'm going to have a fun time putting it together. Maybe I'll get a new filter if need be, we'll see.

Sooo... maybe cichlids, maybe not. I'm not sure - ideas please! :fish:

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow, lucky you. I suggest going to your fav LFS and looking at what you like. Write there names down, take a photo and return home to research each fish.

No use doing research and deciding on a fish then can't buy it. It's a very exciting time Sarah, take your time and have a go at whatever you like.

Sure you know all this, sorry Ninja-san.

Haha, thanks Busman. :)

Going to LFS... looking at what I like... I don't think I need encouragement, but OK!!! :D

True true.. mmmm.. I think I need to go to the LFS again. :P

Gosh I love my driver dad.

Doesn't QUITE want to take me to Fishchicks, but the local ones are good too. :)

Sarah, get yourself a canister filter for it, Go african cichlids, I used to keep a few. Here some of mine, I'll pm you more because of teh 4 photo limit thingo.

Maleri gold peacock.

IMG_1626.jpg

IMG_1539.jpg

Black Calvus, pindani and a asorted peacock.

IMG_1513.jpg

Black calvus.

IMG_1513-3-1.jpg

Thanks, I wanted a planted tank, I am onlyu aloud three tanks so I got rid of them, I am going to try get a fourth tank aloud to get them again.

Also Sarah, Don't get them from a LFS, I paid $6 for the Maleri that size, not colour fed and was not fullt coloured up. In a lfs I would have paid over $30 and it would have been colour fed and I wouldn't have known how it would turn out. At a breeders always try and get the dominant coloured up male.

If you go African and you want colour and not to breed - go for an all male Malawi mixed cichlid tank (most of the species females are pretty drab colours) or you could pick a species like Maingano's or Demasoni's that are blue/white and look great.... Peacocks are ok but again females are drab so an all male Peacock tank would look great... with cichlids you will always have aggression in the tank especially if you want to have a breeding colony....

You could go a Tanganyikan tank - something like cyprichromis species for mid water and have some shellies on the bottom - the cyps are magnificently coloured and don't eat their own young.... and the shellies are great parents and will not eat their own fry...

Generally, if you go for American cichlids are better in pairs unless you want to go for an all male tank of mixed types.....

Thanks for the suggestion Matt, great fishus there. I likie. A lot. :D

Thanks for the information Wayne. :)

So, I could have an all male tank then? Sure, there would be some aggression... but no major damage which would make it a bad idea?

Yea, definatly go all male, peacocks and haps are magnificent, well the males are anyway. I think her tank will be to small for cypes. I was looking into getting them but they cost a fortune and need a minimum of 4 feet. Your tank will only be 4 feet in one section so I wouldn't recomend it. I was going to get tanks, hence the julli's and clavus but decided to keep my pindani (Malawi mbuna) and get some display peacocks (Malawi) you need lots of Rocks to Sarah.

Sarah, it's like a sorority, one male becomes dominant and they have a pecking order, adding females often makes them fight. You need to overstock them also so they don't fight overvterritory. All make mbuna tanks often don't work and you need to vent sex them ect. There is little sexual dimorphism. Get peacocks and haps. Research each species to.

All male. Awesome.

I didn't think this could be a good idea.... have basically only kept Bettas, so used to no-male for fancies and such. SUPER EXITED!!!

Heya, mum found me a nice big aquarium rock in the backyard. :) So I have a rock. Pretty sure I need more than one though. :P

My sister has the other one... might see if she is ACTUALLY USING it. She has a marine tank, I don't think it's in there.

Yes, the tank is 4ft at it's widest. Pretty big really, I was literally inside of it while I was cleaning it.

Yeah, I'll do lots of research... but it sounds to be the go this. :cheer:

Um... Matt... did you just say to overstock it, so they DON'T fight? Whhhhat??? :blink:

You to make stacks of smaller rocks for them to hide in.

Vals and swords are also good plants to keep with them, well at least I did :D

yes I did, it stops them from developing a territory, like you can't keep less than 5 bettas together or what ever the number is. It helps disperse agresion to :)

I believe you're referring to top filter. I would definitely switch to a canister and maybe keep the top filter as supplemental filtration.

Love some of the colours of the cichlids but I wouldn't have them. Not my cuppa tea. Plus they tend to destroy plants. <_<

Some of my favourites...

Cynotilapia Afra 'Cobue'

Labidochromis sp. 'Hongi'

Pseudotropheus Saulosi

Pdeudotropheus elongatus Mpanga

Metriaclima pulpican / Kingsizei

Good old Labidochromis Caeruleus, the Electric Yellow

Melanochromis sp. Maingano

OR you could go with salty! ;)

YES! Top filter - that's it!

Great, thanks for the list Yan, I'll research each of those tomorrow. :)

Salty. I wish... ahh, how I wish! But no.. maybe one day. *Dreams*

I can just come and admire you're tank. You do the work, the paying for.. I look. Sounds good to me! :D

Hehe, all just happy to help set our (Busman's, Matt's and I) tanks up. :)

Yan, don't you go backing away - I need your expertise!

Ah.. heyyyy.. my sister has a marine tank (well really her bf but she says its hers)! I think I'll just look at hers. :P

Not expensive aye? Sureeeee... I've seen your tanks thread! As if!

Which fish Paul? The cyps and shellies?

Bay fish has Cyprichromis leptosoma *untinta" on their list at the moment. Shellies of a few varieties are available around the shops in Brisbane... I have a couple of spawns of L. Hecqui at the moment - great little fish with camo markings and really funny to see them pick up snails and move them if they get too close to their chosen shells.... good fun little fish that raise their own kids and tolerate them hanging round....

There are other shellies and cyps available from breeders round Brisbane too I believe.... might see some at some of the Auctions down there at times....

Sarah, the list Yan made are all mbuna, they need to be kept in groups of around 6 with a male to female Ratio of 1:5 that's the general rule, there are exceptions, like demonsoni (spelling?) need like a minimum of 12. Electric yellows can be mixed with peacocks but they have different diets.