New Barracks Idea

Rhysmachine101

Greetings fellow fish people!

First of all- sorry for the mammoth post! Don't let it cow you! You can do it!

I have been mulling an idea over in my head for a few months and now that my exams are almost out of the way, its starting to coalesce in my mind.

Ive been thinking about a tower of barracks... i haven't done any drawings yet (will get on to it) but this basically how I am imagining it:

So I have four rectangular containers, I put them together so they form a plus(+) symbol if looking down upon them, but with a square hole in the middle of them- only their corners are touching.

With me so far?

Next I have a tall PVC pipe/cylinder that I cut rectangular holes out of, so that the rectangular containers fit in them snugly.

Inside this PVC pipe/tower is another PVC pipe/tower with a smaller diameter-this has holes in it as well so that the container fits snugly inside as well.

So we have four containers fitted inside the two PVC pipes in a plus configuration.

Are you still with me? So If looking from above we have the containers now partially inside two circles( the circles being the PVC cylinders)

Now we repeat the four container configuration down the PVC pipe/tower as many times as we like.

At the bottom of the tower there will be a tank that is only as wide as the protruding containers- to preserve space.

This tank will be where all the water from the containers will drain to and contain the filter material and return pump.

The containers will drain via a small hole in the side that is facing the inside of the inner PVC pipe.

The containers will receive their water from a network of small tubes coming from the return pump that connect to a airline tap that is inserted into the top of the container.

This can be turned off and removed from the container and once the container has finished draining you can just pull out the container from the tower if you need to remove a fish for some reason.

I just need to figure out how to make the PVC tower with its container load rotate so you can just rotate the tower around to look at all the individual barracks.

I have some measurements; I have these 23cmlong by 12cmhigh by 17cm wide tupperwear containers that are 3L (small, I know, might still be better than beanie boxes?)

So a tower made from this type of container takes up 0.63m squared of floor space and if its only a meter tall (could be taller!) not including the height of the sump tank beneath it, then it could contain seven rows of four containers, which is 28 individual barracks! All those fish in a 0.63m squared space, only 1 m tall.

I think most shelves come out from a wall about 0.3-0.5m(if they are really big) My fish tank shelves intrude into the room 0.47m from the wall if I remember correctly.

So, if you managed to digest all that and actually understood it (firstly, i am impressed) what do you think?

I will conjure up some of my famous paint pictures later to help everyone understand what I am actually going on about here.

Thanks so much for reading!!!

Rhys

Thanks for thanking me for reading, but i got 1/4 through and you lost me, I can't wrap my head around barracks, it's driving me mental at the moment too... plumbing, pipes, litres per whatever and engineering.

When it's not 12:15 am, and I'm not still buzzing from MSG I'll read through again.

FYI sorry I forgot to respond about the tanks you saw at my joint - they're terrible K mart $30 9 litre "Marine Master" tanks, I've since ripped out the carbon filtration in the lid and kept the light and lid.

I do weekly changes and it's killing me.... also they fluctuate between 20-22 degrees with a critter warmer udnerneath - just not working!

Want an Aqua one setup and be done with it.

Can you come to my house and make me a barracks?

I'll do the silicone, I'm VERY GOOD AT SILICONE.

draw pictures so my sore brain can see if i want a copy of what you make.

k?

-illustratedNess

Ok I was actually with you and the set-up you've drawn is what I pictured in my head. I'm no engineer but husband studied aquaculture for a while and is definitely the engineer/ideas man in the family. With regards to rotation my immediate thought was a lazy-susan type set-up (like they put on the table center in Asian restaurants). As for the rest of the info you need, if you can wait a few days Owen is home (Whoops... yes guys he has a NAME!!) from work on Sunday. If you don't mind me showing him your post I'm sure he can probably come up with something for you. Jo B-)

The pipe seems a bit large, im worried about the tanks being secure, and that you might need something to support the ends not attached to the pipe or the weight of the water will prob just pull them off. any plans for lids ?

For the space your using you could fit 9 of these boxes on a shelf with a drip system = 45 tanks instead of 20.

The diameter of the pipe will have to be at least one length plus half a width so 315mm in diameter. This is to ensure that it doesn't tip off and out of the tower.

This size does exist, I think- I would have to confirm as I only eyeballed the thing while I was at the plumbing shop- But I know there is bigger diametres available.

The smaller pipe inside acts as additional support for the containers so they aren't just balancing on a few mill of pipe.

So Looks like we would need an additional locking system of sorts to help keep the containers in place- shouldn't be too much trouble, perhaps a small platform jutting out from the bottom of the hole that the container rests on? I will think on it... (help?)

@Neffy, If the tower is 1.5 metres high I can fit 12 rows with the current containers which equals 48! Haha!(wriggles eyebrows) Still not as tall as your shelf is it? (laughs best evil laugh)

As for lids everybody, they are a must, other wise we have fish doing spectacular dives inside the tower and either to their deaths or trapped forever in between the two towers. Fortunately the containers I have spec'ed are tupperware and come with lids- obviously we need a small hole for feeding though.

Congrats to FlameDragon for actually getting through that disgustingly long first post and understanding what I was jabbering on about! :cheer: Please feel free to show it to Owen (awesomely welsh name there :lol: ) all input is appreciated!

More ideas please!

Rhys.

I had to read it a couple of times to understand, but I can now see where you are coming from. I can't see a way to rotate the tower without rotating the sump (or possibly the pump) as well, as the tubes feeding the containers will get tangled.

Great to see someone thinking outside of the box and coming up with a new design. I'll definitely be following your progress :D

I was only going with the 5 rows pictured so really if you had 12 rows of these tanks you can fit 108 - space for shelf and a gap to get to the tanks so lets just say 10 shelfs thats still 90 tanks double what you have, not enough room still? 8 shelfs = 72 thats still more, cant reach the center & back tank remove 2 thats 56 tanks more managable less work :P

If maxium tanks in your space was the aim i think there are better easier ways to go about it :P im just not sure the spinning will work without getting something tangled up

Edited by Neffy

So with the 108 tanks from 12 rows, which is 12 shelves, = 9 containers on each shelf, right? 9 times 170mm (width of said container) is 1530mm- 1.5m. So thats the length your shelving has to be. You can fit two towers in that space, with about 30cm saved.

Height of each container is 120cm- I've been adding 10mm, so 130 times 12 = 1560mm 1.5m high of shelving... approx 2 towers in the same horizontal space, of 12 rows, 4 in each row... = 96 containers...

Yep, shelves still win. :( :alright: You win, Neffy :lol:

Oh well, way too complicated an idea anyway.

I will head back to the drawing board!

There must be a way to beat regular shelves!

I vow to not rest until those standard shelves are defeated- no matter the cost!

C'mon people help me out here!

Can someone give me a rough idea of what I'm up against? Height of your barracks shelving, Length of your barracks shelving, intrusion into the room (width) of your barracks shelving and how many individual containers(how many litres are they?) do you fit upon said shelving?

Try saying all that without getting sick of the word shelving, I dare you :lol:

That is only if you stack each of the 9 containers next to each other length ways, keeping them in a 3x3 tank square 69cm by 51cm fills the same space as your design! but then like i said it could be hard to reach the center tank and the center back tank, you would only have easy access to the outer facing tanks 7 of them a U shapped configuration you could approach from each side. So keeping only the outer facing tanks on the 12 shelves = 84 tanks in the same space as the 45. The shelving would have to be the frame type not blocking any sides, you could then use the center space created by the U of tanks as the pillar for your plumbing, custom cutting the shelfs or drilling a hole in the shelf for plumbing tubes.

My question is why do you want to beat regular shelves ?

Edited by Neffy

here i made some pics hehe incase that was confusing there are 2 configerations you could use in the same space.

the center tank was originally rotated length ways but then you couldnt get any plumbing from the back of the side tanks to the center plumbing section.

This way i prefer

or you can only use 1 row of 4 tanks, but then we are back to 45 tanks but no spinning/hard to build/strange configurations :D

Edited by Neffy

Oh Gods, I think you confused me?

Please help?

That is only if you stack each of the 9 containers next to each other length ways, keeping them in a 3x3 tank square 69cm by 51cm fills the same space as your design which would be 63cm x 57cm

length ways? Why am I stacking the containers length ways? That means 230mm times 9 containers which is more shelf length than stacking the containers on the shelf width ways(170mm times 9) facing out from the wall so all the length of the containers comes out from the wall making room intrusion at least 230mm?

What did you mean by 3x3 tank square?

I get that you mean my tower design in reference to the 63cm but where does the 57cm come from?

Maybe I didn't understand your original post?

As to why? Why not? Thats about all the reason I need to go off on a wild planning goose chase :lol:

Edit: I was typing while you were posting. Thanks for the pics! Studying now! Never been good at optimisation problems... not a clue why I started now!

Edit: do you own a barracks system?

Edit3: Got it now you were assigning as many containers to a similar space as the tower design. Right. Am I slow or what?

Edited by Rhys

Cool you got it ? lots of edits and questions :P

No i dont have a barraks setup in this way but i know enough about them to know the components needed for one

but yes same space and more tanks!

Edited by Neffy