Bettas and Oxygen

Puggle

I went to the Canberra & District Aquarium Society meeting last night and one of the guys gave a talk on labyrinth fish. He said that you should bag bettas with regular air and NEVER use oxygen because it hurts their labyrinth organ. It can also over-oxygenate the water and cause problems for other fish too. Has anyone heard this before? Is it true?

I've heard of it, but my skill in bagging is such that I'd likely loose most of the O2 anyway. :tongue: When bagged, would the betta be more likely to use surface air or water? over-gassing the water could be a problem, but I have not heard of it happening. I mean, i've heard of it, but never heard an actual account, its always "be careful because..." and I have often wondered if it is actually possible to end up with GBD or similar from replacing some of the air gasses with O2.

I've only ever seen this cause a problem with a dwarf gourami. It was in a largish bag by itself (taken to a show). OD'd on the O2! I ship all my fish - including the wild bettas in O2. I have had wild bettas sent from O/S without O2 and they did poorly. Fighters seem to suffer no ill effects. I use O2 even for a short trip - it's easier to inflate the bag! Another "myth" which I question is bettas "drowning" when held under water. I had a male trapped for at least half a day, and besides the score marks around his head - he was fine. Gouramis on the other hand really freak out if they can't reach the surface. Try overfilling a tank and watch them stress when they reach the glass lid. They will charge around until they find an air bubble. (and no - I did not do this deliberately) Cheers, J

I've confirmed that bettas can stay under water for a quite a long period of time without a need to go to surface to breath, unless there is no oxygen in the water. I accidentally overflood my barracks a couple of times and some of the bettas cant get out of the lid, trapped there for awhile until i realize it, and they look ok. Longer period of time will kill them though :(

When i bought my last ct from a shop, they had him in a bag and floated it inside of a small globe tank and unfortunatly the bag made a seal over the top of the entire globe and the betta below died. I gathered that it died because it couldnt reach the surface, but with the top sealed, all the oxygen in the water may of been used up. I should of complained, but im not that sort of person :(

Archived