Lighting Help

I'm looking for lighting and I've come across some interesting ones on ebay. I need a replacement for a 5 gallon sunsun hood (literally all the wires inside have corroded >_>) and a light for my spawn tank to keep all the java moss/fern alive.

anyone had experience with these 'submersible' ones? :dontknow:

link+

or these 'led strip ones'? they come in red O_O but I'm under the illusion that red lighting will make your fish mad :lol:

link+

though it is more likely I'll end up with something like this

link+

link+

link+

I was also thinking of starting a 8L planted nano some time in the future, so anyone know how much lighting I will need? I'm planning an Igwami style nano, so i'll be keeping mostly mosses, riccia (life goal to make it pearl XD) and HC maybe?

any advice appreciated ^-^

All of those are entirely useless for doing anything other than illuminating your tank. They will not sustain plant life, they're just moonlights basically.

The only even semi-useful one there would be this one 11W 27.5CM Length Aquarium Free Angle White Light Lam

11 watts over 20 litres isn't a whole lot but java moss and java fern should be fine in that. I'm almost literally growing it in the dark.. Just a few hours of light a day from the minimal winter sun that gets in my window. Yay for 'java' plants. :dance:

Aqua One has a line of LED clip on mini aquarium lights.... my LFS is selling them for around $30 each.... (advantage is they have the Aussie power plug on the power pack - no need to have a plug adaptor as well)

The LED strips will work out cheaper if you buy by the metre and buy the components to make up your own lighting.... make sure you get the waterproof ones though and if you are cutting and joining make sure there's plenty of silicone over the joints.....

fish cant see red light - red lighting is used a lot in fish rooms so humans can see but the fish think its night time - helps avoid disturbing skittish fish.....

Yan is right re LED use for growing plants - you need that many of them the wattage is more than a fluoro tube.... but LED's are good for being able to see whats going on in a tank and not having a huge electricity bill for the pleasure....

A friend of mien priced an LED setup for growing corals - direct from China it would have cost almost $1000 and used 400W of power!!! cheaper to run halogens!

Edited by fishbites

Take a look at guppysaquariumproducts.com.au - They seem to have very reasonable prices for a range of aquarium lighting.

Most of your plant/moss plans seem to have low light requirements, but the HC will need a LOT of good light if you want it to do anything but melt. Like mine.

Edited by Pyrefly