water heater

ads

i see alot of people with the water heaters on their sides.. mine says that it should be placed vertically in the water.. is mine different.. or can i place it horizontally?

its a hydor what ever that means.. made in italy.. its not the newest its from when dad had fish.. but its not the oldest either it says.. "place hydrosafe plus vertically in the tank and in an area that enjoys good circulation... ect..

but who reads instructions <>

If it's a cheapy brand then you can't fully submerse it.

Hydor is fine though, ignore the instructions and put it on a 45 degree angle so the heat doesn't rise directly onto the thermostat and turn it off prematurely. Beside a filter is the perfect spot as well so the warm water gets sucked or pushed away.

The only worry would be if there is a "maximum water level" mark--- meaning the seal around the electrical bit is not water tight. Water and electricity are not a good match!

Otherwise, just make sure you're not touching anything at all or alternatively you are completely wrapped in insulating material if you planning to put your hand in the tank. Lol.

Strangely enough, water & electricity mix doesn't effect the fish! I lived in a house that had a pond and the pump stopped worked. Real estate people sent out electriction who asked me to put my hand in the water to confirm what he thought, that there was electricity flowing through the water. Didn't tickle but the koi were fine :D