4 ft Display tank

girlz0r

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

that tank is briliant the tree has come on a treet

you spent up prity big at the auction did it all go in the one tank? you have insired me to plant up one of my tanks

Cheers

Les

Brilliant tank, love it, will you be putting it into the Aus Aquascape competition? (have a look under general discussion)

Entries close may 22nd

I didn't see you at the auction - did you see all the Vic Betta gang being silly somewhere on the right in the middle?

I wish I'd known you were there - always good to have a face to a name!

Great looking tank... glad the EDAS auction was fruitful for you.

-Ness

hah!! so YOU were the culprit who assisted me in my expenditure!! hahaha

The layers are javamoss sandwiches, Gutter Guard mesh, Java moss then Gutter Guard, then used fishing line around the outside so it sticks together. Cut some holes in it and slotted it onto the branches of the tree trunk base thing.. There's some pics on the prev pages.

anyway, Update. Jordan Gave me a leftover packet of Purigen, and some Blyxa(sp?) which i've planted. Rerranged the tank a bit. I'm addicted and becoming a prefectionist. I moved the output of the sump as well so that there'd be better water flow and all the BN poop would be blown into the corner or into the sump.

227820_10150278423448082_527348081_95563

Looking for an underwater light that will shine up at the tree... anyone know anything?? :dontknow: I'm a bit stumped, there seems to be so many! but they are all so large (pond size)

http://cgi.ebay.com/LAGUNA-POWERGLO-MINI-POND-LIGHT-KIT-/220608960171?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item335d5196ab#ht_553wt_905

You can buy little underwater LED lights from a lot of LFS/LPS now, they can be suckered on to glass sat on the sub or whatever and run on a little transformer. Think they are made by Marina and around the $30 mark from memory. They are adjustable through a 180degree arc so easy to place the light where you want it. Tank looks AWESOME :drool: NannaJo B)

hmmm yeah maybe i'll check out bunnings tonight, I checked Guppies Aquarium and they are all pond lights, and I can't hide them, Blyxa is not big and bushy enough to be covering them.

How big are the laguna ones? It was a bit hard estimating the size from the picture... I want them small enough to be partly buried in the sand and can be hidden by plants so the light shines from the bottom up from the front of the tank.

Flame Dragon, heh. Transformer as in battery or like plugged in. I am pretty clueless about these things.

Ness I will enter!! Soon. I'm getting more carpeting plants though because the one i have atm grows REAAALLY SLOW. It'll take at least 6 months to get some sort of coverage ):

ooh sounds really good, I'll check them out today after work.

I just realized a really stupid mistake when i was setting up the tank.

The Java leaves are right next to the overflow into the sump. So all the fishy poo and other unwanted things are getting stuck =__=" I'm having to clean it every day.. at least it's making the moss grow nicely..

what a fail!

• 3 weeks later...

228668_10150298221418082_527348081_97311

planting some hc. it's sooooo tedious. Moved ALL the microsword to the back of the tank individually, hc is now at the front. Can't really see it coz the pic quality is pretty crap ):

nah, not yet, going to msia in a couple days and they've got a WHOLE STREET dedicated to aqarium stuff, and it's dirt cheap too. David and I bought really huge bags of filter wool for 8Ringgit, which is about $2.30, and I bought some hang on filters for 12RM each and they are still working really well!!

so I will be searching there for now :D

Hi GirlsOr

Are you back yet and did you have a good trip?

Did oyu get a light? if so what type?

Intested in what an up light effect will look like in a tank as I have never seen one used in a tank before.

Cheers

Les

Still away atm.. looking at some submersible lights here in Malaysia, they are a little less than the price in melb.. but haven't found one with the right colour... most of them are pond lights are are yellowish red ):

I want more or a whiter colour, and even some moonlights, depending on the price.

Today I saw some pretty crazy catfish. Moonlight catfish as well as some tawanese freshwater rays.. I wanted to take a picture but i'm pretty sure they are illegal to get.. somehow as I wasn't allowed to take pics -__-"

this is a pic off google.. they look very impressive irl they are 100% metallic, look as if someone had spray painted the fish with silver paint. so unreal..

Photo-0169.jpg?t=1289438087

the fresh water rays were 'Potamotrygon leopoldi' and another type which i can't seem to find on google.. such a magnificent freshwater ray.

itaituba.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

254293_10150325824078082_527348081_10019

added another bag of purigen... Didn't have enough before, got some ferts from malaysia too

247249_10150325826653082_527348081_10019

tree is doing well, although will need that pond light soon, the moss isn't growing very well on the underside, which was expected.

Harlequins are happy too!!

247992_10150325831118082_527348081_10019

One of the smaller ones :)