Sign in to follow this  
manonastreet

Map to the Colors

Hi all.

For getting back to betta breeding (and before I found the AusAqua forums), i compiled info on the different color combinations and the genes involved.

I'm easily confused by a mere geno listing (try ++blblSi_bbnrnrccRl_OpOp for white platinum) so i decided to make a visual map for myself (that's why i forgot to note where I've taken the thumbnails from--many from Joep's Betta Territory and BettySplendens--no infringement intended).ph34r.gif

However, this could also help others so i'm posting it here.

Here is the map:

bettagenes3.jpg

If you find it useful, please help me in correcting mistakes. Also this is incomplete--for example, Red Loss factor could also be included in Black Dragons.

Also this uses the Drosophila notation (favored by Dr. Gene Lucas) so any wild type gene is shown with a '+' and a dominant gene combination is just denoted by a '_' at the end (Er_, extended red, for example, can either be homozygous [ErEr] or heterozygous [Er+])

[Note: this could go well with M Johnson's Punnet Square Calculator. Feel free to share and modify the work as long as AusAqua Forums is attributed--you can use your own fish photos. Here is the source SVG file (without the pictures--I don't own the rights to them sorry). You can download Inkscape and edit the SVG file to replace the linked pictures in it.] happy.gif

Edited by tame

That is a truly awesome thing!!! I now intend to study it like a crazy person!!!

Seconding and Thirding the thanks and congratulations - this is perfect!

Now all we need is a Betta Colour Generator App on our iPhones, you photograph your two fish and let the phone calculate the result.

ooooo that sounds good.... I should learn to program.

Fantastic - and I love the images you've used to describe teal/turq/metallic blue et al... must show 'Razzi... but I'm sure he'll come across this soon enough!

-Ness

OH! My work computer wont let me open the picture :( Will have to wait until I get home.

I have all of my fish put into an Excel spreadsheet (I love spreadsheets :D) Each one is listed with its genetic code for each possiblity eg. bIbI, cc, si, Rl etc. I have one sheet for males, one for females. Then each male has his own spreadsheet showing the punnett squares for matching with each female. At the bottom of the punnett squares I have a summary of what I'd get from each pairing. (Yes, I have no life outside of my fish :D)

Ness you're spot on! Most of the ground work seems to be done. Stefan (splendidbetta) has the 3D images... Allocating colour layers over the model shouldnt be too hard after that. The colour range is beautifully demonstrated by Tame - so getting the computer to "fill in" the layer with the appropriate colour shouldn't be too difficult either. And the genetics "calculator" is underway with mjohnson. If anyone is able to put it all together, you'll have a marketable product! Mind you... I said shouldn't be too hard - but I know nothing about programming!!!

OMG that is fantastic! But you should have your name and a copyright notice on it. Also a statement about what permissions people have to repost, reuse, link etc. Do you prefer people link directly to dropbox? Or download and host elsewhere? Great job!! :applaud:

Thank you all for the positive response--it seems the map is helpful after all.happy.gif

@Bettarazzi--i'll be updating the map and the source file from time to time as corrections come in so i'd prefer people link to Dropbox for now.

I don't own the thumbnails I used and I'd like people to share and improve on this so i guess I'd also assign it to AusAqua Forums under Creative Commons Attribution Non-Commercial so people can use their own, more accurate pictures when they set to work improving it. The source file (without the pictures) is an Inkscape SVG where people can easily substitute their own pictures. (I'll be putting in the attribution and post the link to the source file as soon as i get back to Bohol next week.)

~tame

PS:

I originally wanted to draw the pictures like this:

bettaparts_royalblue2.jpg

but that's a lot of hard work so that can wait for now. ;)

WOW WOW It is just ausome Tame i want to print a copy and stick it near my tanks so the fry know how there ment to turn out congrats on your hard work and thank you ever so much

Cheers

Les

Sign in to follow this