30 bay barrack

Matt_95

Hi everybody, I am looking into building my own barracks to keep all my breeders in. I want it to hold around 30 bays but because I still live with my parents they want it to look good so I want it to look neat like the A1 does. I'm also on a budget so I don't want to spend more than $100-$150 on this. Any help is very much apreciated. Aso what would be the best option to make teh tanks out of? I'm not that need a person with fidelly thinks like siliconing.

Matt

Ok, Matt, maybe we can kill two birds with one stone here- what are the dimensions of single bay? Also what are the materials available to you now, ie; what do you have in the shed; wood, glass that sort of thing, and what sort of tools do you have to work with? Have you a router? A jigsaw? drill?

I ask this because if your budget is limited ( like mine so often is- you want to see what you have lying around first and then what you can procure from roadsides ( yes I actually have done it!) is the first step; next is finding out what tools you have, otherwise its lending and if you happen to know no-one who has any stuff then its out to Bunnings to pick up some cheap tools.

Which kills the budget thing pretty quick- If you have a jigsaw or even better a router then acrylic is a possibility; if not then some cheap glass from demolitions places are a good stop before actual glass shops(you can get a glass cutter for a couple of dollars and cut your own glass- needs a few practice runs though).But be careful of safety glass! you cant use it like normal glass. Taking a breath now!

Edited by Rhys

I was thinking the size of the A1 bays but taller, can't remeber measurements of the top of my head though. I would have to ask dad what we have put we definatly have a drill and I'm pretty sure he has a jigsaw. Dad works at a school with manual arts so he could probably get stuff from there. They don't have clay though so I'm not sure if the could afford tools :lol: I don't have wood, glass, PVC or anything really. So I would have to buy all that to.

I think the Aqua One barracks too small. As a grow out, fine. However no one could pay me enough to keep my nice (adult) fish in them. (My opinion. Others are free to disagree)

I think it's less than a litre per chamber and extra height might give you more water volume but it's useless water volume, they want to swim side to side/back to front not up and down. :P

That said my barracks chambers are large enough to still comfortably split again down the middle. I think when full each chamber is something like 5.5 liters each.

I agree yan my cells are 2.5Ltr from K Mart Home Maker section only $2.00 each that would make them afordable for Matts budget and fair on the growing fish the containers are transparent and look fine get Dad involved in every step and ask then what they think as alternatives its amazing what you will get if every one is playing the same game if you want the rest of what you might need ill send you a list you should be able to make it on your budget with a push mine cost a bit more becouse of the UV steralizer not esential but I wanted it just to be safe.

Cheers

Les

Only a litre? Gee, I definatly wouldn't keep them in there permanently. Is 2.5 enough? That sounds perfect for my needs :) a list of what you used would be great please :) getting dad involved could be hard, I will try though, I am terrible at diy so I will need some help. He got really angry about dividing my 2 foot, I'm still not sure why, I was trying to comply with his limit of 3 tanks. Anyway, as long as he does the sawing, drilling ect. I should be fine, I'm better at fiddly things, espicially when I'm not tired and a take very frequent breaks. Thanks :)

There is this Vinyl tubing at Bunnings that is really cheap; its clear blue stuff and it comes in a range of different diameters and lengths. There are tonnes of different barbed connectors for the stuff, so all you really need to do is cut the tubing to length and push it on the connectors- I also found that those small garden drip heads with the barbed ends? they work a treat with this tubing- just push and twist them in and you're right to go! Saves on the expense of gluing pvc together, less messy too!

Only downside to the stuff is that it is really hard to get the tubing to stay straight on its own (it comes rolled), I found heating up lengths of it and then immersing it in cold water worked reasonably well, or you can just get some tube holders (plastic black things-semi-circle like) and tack it or even glue it or cable-tie it to a straight surface- quicker than the former method. It is very flexible. Not rigid at all.

Those K-mart containers sound great for the cells- then you don't have to worry about acrylic or glass. Unless you want some for the sump. On the cheap side just get yourself a plastic storage container.

So with that stuff all you will need is a return pump, heater, something for the sump, filter... and basically some form of shelving to attach it all to.

So 30 of those aforementioned containers cost you $60, the tubing, connectors and drip heads, well I am guessing here- but around $30 to $40 if you are extremely unlucky. Hmmm, so you are up for around $90 already... well, hopefully you have that extra $50!

Good luck and let me know if I can be of any assistance.

Rhys.

Edited by Rhys

What would be the best option for shelving/stand? Mum and Dad would be happy if th espawning/growout can go underneath/above. If I make them happy fish wise it means we wont be constantly fighting. Also how would I drain the tanks to the sump? I have a 2 footer I can use for a sump, I was thinking a plant filter :)

If it was me and it most likely will be before long, I would get myself some more pine knock up some shelves and seal them with polyurethane.

Something like this:

Quicksketch.jpg

Sorry about the poor quality of this paint image- its actually pretty hard to draw on a laptop, I have never tried it before!:)

with an open back as well; basically a frame.

I think that if you can find a cheap shelving system that you can trust to hold some weight then you will be right to go.

As for getting the water back down into the sump- if les's $2.00 K-mart cells are plastic then you can just cut one of those barbed connections in half and melt and/or glue it to the cell- then you can run tubing from the cell to the sump: this means that they can be disconnected. if its glass then you have to drill and you can do the same thing really- just need the right glue... not too sure on this- I would try araldite as a first stop. I will have a bit of a google later.

Hope this helps.

Rhys.

Edited by Rhys

Thanks, I get the general idea from that drawing :) I might add another row so if I oneday want to keep more I can.

I'm still abit confused about getting the water back down again. What if I got the barbed drip things melted them in to the plastic like you said and fed that in to the one underneath so I only need one pump. The rate of flow coming out of both would need to be the same though....

Thanks for all your help :)

cheers, Matt

Hey Matt!

Well about the getting the water back down again, I am not entirely sure what you meant about only needing one pump?

Sure it would save on tubing and drip heads if you just fed the overflow from the cells above to the ones below; the flow rate would be the same. Your only going to need one pump in the sump (try saying that ten time fast :lol: )to pump the water up to the drip heads and then you let gravity do the work for you.

Here is a couple of my famous Paint pics that may make things clearer...or not:

This is what I am talking about with the barbed connectors- they look somewhat like this..somewhat.

BarbedPic.jpg

This is a diagram of how a cell would be connected to the system- paint is so much fun.

diagram.jpg

It would be a whole lot easier if you could find a long, not very high, plastic tray, so that you could sit all 15 (or however many are on a shelf) cells in, so you could just have holes in the cells for overflows and let the water drip out onto the tray. You could then connect some tubing to the tray and run that to the sump! Much more efficient.

Kinda like this!:

diagram2.jpg

Even a few shorter trays would be better I think.

Hope this is helpful!

Rhys.

Edited by Rhys

My drip system is like Rhys' second picture. I use a plastic gutter available from Bunnings which is what the containers drip into. I've then cut a hole and glued in a sink attachment. PVC pipes then take it down to the sump. You can see it on my YouTube channel.

Word of warning, I've found that my system has the disadvantage of evaporating rather quickly which causes a lot of humidity in the room. In winter, humidity = mould.

Just went and had a look at your youtube channel, 'Razzi, and you have put together almost exactly what I have been proposing! From the second picture at least :). I feel like I just reinvented the wheel and then met the original creator!

Matt- hop over to 'Razzi's youtube channel- look at his fishroom videos; they are pretty much all you will need in terms of templates to build your barracks.

Rhys.

I know someone who has built something which is more like the first diagram. Instead for the drainage tube going from container directly to sump, it drains first into a pvc pipe which is laid horizontally behind the containers. The pvc pipe then goes down to the sump. The advantage of doing it this way is that you've created a much more closed system and with a lid on the sump and lids on all the containers there should be virtually no evaporation. Disadvantage is that you have to buy more materials. You should experiment with dispensing with the barbed connector that attaches the tubing to the container. If you drill the hole to be a tight fit, you should be able to squeeze the flexible tubing in and it should hold without leaking.

• 2 weeks later...

Hey Matt!

Well about the getting the water back down again, I am not entirely sure what you meant about only needing one pump?

Sure it would save on tubing and drip heads if you just fed the overflow from the cells above to the ones below; the flow rate would be the same. Your only going to need one pump in the sump (try saying that ten time fast :lol: )to pump the water up to the drip heads and then you let gravity do the work for you.

Here is a couple of my famous Paint pics that may make things clearer...or not:

This is what I am talking about with the barbed connectors- they look somewhat like this..somewhat.

BarbedPic.jpg

This is a diagram of how a cell would be connected to the system- paint is so much fun.

diagram.jpg

Like a couple of new kitty litter trays?? Cheap and easy to come by.

It would be a whole lot easier if you could find a long, not very high, plastic tray, so that you could sit all 15 (or however many are on a shelf) cells in, so you could just have holes in the cells for overflows and let the water drip out onto the tray. You could then connect some tubing to the tray and run that to the sump! Much more efficient.

Kinda like this!:

diagram2.jpg

Even a few shorter trays would be better I think.

Hope this is helpful!

Rhys.