What Marbles Do Best

Sarah

Very confusing... I'm not going to bite because I'm just too confused, no harm done. Anyway, I blame Matt for half slipping up... :P

Edit: Heya Matt, should we tell them?

........ nah... let's just draw it out a bit more. mwhahahahahaha *cough* :devil:

Edited by Sarah

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

@Busman Paul, they are big and fat, make sure you keep your house locked up, there are predatory water beetles everywhere, one got into my tank and they were at school to.

@Sarah, no way, I blame you because ummm.... You didn't cover it up. Don't tell them yet, it has to be a surprise.

OK... now I'm confused..

This is what Apache looks like, all angles, light or no light -

Apache002.jpg

Simple... looking sorta steel blue-ish right?

UNTIL.. the flash hit him at the right (or maybe wrong) angle -

Apache001.jpg

Looking like he used to... but only in this photo?

So what sort of blue is he?

Ahhhh... and look at how green my Java Moss is! :D OK, OK... I just got it so it hasn't had a chance to go brown yet. <_<

Busman... you're confused? Is it over this comment??? Hmmm. Why hadn't I realised this could be interpreted in a few ways?

"Oohhhh... I thought you were referring to Matt. :confused:

I hope so too, I love him how he is now! :drool:"

*ducks for cover*

AHHHHHH... I'm so slow in the mornings, I just got that! :devil:

Yeah you better duck.. :ph34r: ( <-- me = ninja...).

If I was to be brave enough to come out of hiding, I would be helpful and say that apache is royal blue... Hence blue normally, but turquoise with flash. It means he was always a royal blue marble, but had the steel gene completely switched off by the marble gene - until now!

OK, so he is Royal Blue.. but a really cool one. B)

Thanks for that The Paul. :)

So if he wasn't marble, I would get 50% of Royal Blue & Turquoise because girlie (who needs a name, hint hint) is turquoise right?

But since he is marble, can you tell, or do I just get a higher chance of blue marbles? Marbles are so confusing, and they haven't even spawned yet.

Oh, and I er.. may have introduced them just to see what would happen, knew I wasn't supposed to (sorry).. but I couldn't resist, I just wanted to have a peak at how they would react.. and he has a nest now, female looks ready. Me want to release them NOW.

The 4th seems sooo far away, can I do it before please? :(

Edited by Sarah

Why not? If the fish are ready, they're ready! The moon cycle might help trigger spawning, but it's not the only factor. So, if that's what you're waiting for - then don't!

You'll still get 50-50 turq and royal blue, just the marble gene may play tricks.

Esmerelda!

You wanted a name for the turquoise girl. That's my suggestion.

Full moon and new moon supposedly have higher success rates when attempting a spawn. Theory goes the fish know when its a full or bew moon due to the gravitational force - don't know how or why but that's the theory.

Yes, thanks... hmmm... I'll have a thinkie. Sorry, I thought there was something funny behind the name, just a nice name then. :)

Didn't know that, thanks. :)

To be honest, I don't even pay attention to the moon for spawning my fish, I just put them in when I feel like it (and they feel like it). That's pretty interesting, just, why would that trigger them to spawn?

Didn't think you'd go for an old school name Sarah! I just thought it fits with the Spanish girly theme (tenedor, esmerelda) and she's the start of your own "jewel box", so she's like and emerald - but not! When will you let her out?

Ps I find it easier with the coke bottle bottom cut off, lid off, and the wide end being flat against the tank floor. Ie the other way round! That way the food can go in the narrow neck, you can use the neck as a handle, you can lift up the coke bottle/chimney without stirring up the water and you can catch the girl again back in the bottle just by sliding it down around her. Just a suggestion.

Didn't know it was an old school name, but I like it, it is very pretty. :)

Haha.. I'm going to have to think of my own strain name though - don't want to take Jarrod's glory! *lol* I'm hoping tonight, maybe tomorrow.. I'm.. waiting on something.

Yes, I usually use the other way around... but I happened to be holding this end so I thought I might as well. :P Haha, that makes me sound really lazy.. anyway I didn't think it would make much of a difference, I do like the other way better though, will use next time. :)

Sarah, if you want to take the Jewel Box name, you are welcome to it. I have nothing from that spawn left that is worth breeding. That's why I have gone crazy on aquabid buying quality breeding pairs. It's funny - Blue is my favorite colour betta, but I have bought yellow, orange and red/white BF so far... :)

Good luck with the spawn :D

PS:Actually, being CT, you can call them crown jewels ....

Edited by shadoh

Thanks for the offer Jarrod, but I think I'll rather think of something my own, rather than be unoriginal and take your originality.

Haha... what, you didn't get any blues?

Will do, I poked pin-holes in it, so the water trickles out, I tested it before I put the girl in, I'll just scoop her out.

... and I was practicing hatching BBS in a plastic cup, inside the tank (you can see it behind the nest).. they have hatched in 24hrs, so tiny! So I'm pretty happy about that, I know I can do the BBS fine then, it took forever when I tried a while ago in a plastic bottle, unheated. Heated is the way to go. :)

Righto.. infusoria is ready, as are VE, and I've had a successful hatching of BBS, that's my future fry 1st week worth of food. Ready to release edit: tomorrow! I'm so exited, as are the pair. :P

Edited by Sarah