How do I make a 2-tier tank stand?

Bettarazzi

I need a 2-tier stand to hold 2 x 2 foot tanks one on top of the other. The dimensions (in cm) are W60 x D30 x H30 and W60 x D30 x H45. As someone who doesn't have any experience in carpentry and hasn't used any power tools other than a drill, should I consider doing this myself? Or should I just get someone to make it for me? I don't mind having a learning experience but I'd be unhappy about making costly mistakes.

I have a friend with a power saw who would be willing to cut the pieces for me. But what kind of joints should I use? And what size wood should I use to bear the weight. I want the lower tank to be at least 45cm above the floor, ie approximately the height of a 20ltr bucket. Allowing for about 30cm between the tanks, this means the very top will be around 160-170cm above the floor. Will this make it top heavy? I suppose I could look at attaching it to the wall studs somehow but it's just an internal wall that I'm putting it against. Not sure how strong it would be.

Hi Bettarazzi,

I've got one of the 50kg per shelf stands from Bunnings with a standard 2' tank and an 18" tank on it. Holds them no problems.

Alternatively if you wanted to have a go at building one. Here is a great link to the DIY BaZrack. BaZrack

It is for a 4' rack so you will need to adjust the lenghts to suit your 2' dimensions.

Best of luck!

Shane

How do you make a 2ft tank stand? Well with a lot of training and a few treats you cannot only get it to stand but also sit, beg and stay...... :P

Seriously though..... do you want it for display or just to hold tanks? Some of the hammer lock steel shelving units will hold 50kg + per shelf.... all locks together with the tap of a hammer.... replace the mdf shelves with 12 or 15mm ply and seal it with paint or a waterproofing sealant......

If you want something for display.... check this page out.... ignore the gaudy blue paint job though!!!!

An alternative would be to get a steel frame welded up and then just screw timber on the outside to trim it as another option......

OK,

Not hard at all if you are not to fussed on fancy appearances.

Firstly, anything with wood is all about precise cuts. So long as the pieces are the same length and cut square wood work is not hard. The good news is Bunnings will cut all your wood for you for 50c a cut (if you wear a short skirt, flutter your eyelids and look pathetic / useless they usually do it for free :whistling:).

Secondly, pre drill all holes and use screws to secure the frame ... it costs a tiny bit more for screws than nails but it is easier, stronger and more precise when you have little skill.

Thirdly, make a good plan. I have two wood stands that each hold four 45cm cubes that I bought of eBay ages ago and they are rock solid, very basic and were used by a breeder who bred cichilds for a living. I will go downstairs tomorrow and take a photo to give you an idea (its to dark now). They are good, but there are a few things I would change...

Consider the height between the top of the tank that sits on the bottom tier, and the base of the second tier. Leave enough room to maneuver nets, heaters etc. leave room to put in hooks so you can hang cords so they from drip loops, or for hanging air pumps or what ever. Do you want an exact fit, or a little room in front or on the side to put food containers, chemicals etc for easy access. I found it handy to keep the stuff I was using right near the tank, and my shelf did not allow room for this.

It is rewarding to do it yourself, and you can make it the exact size you want

It's not intended as a display. But it will sit near the back door which is the entrance our friends use. Only the postman uses the front door. The tanks will be bare growout tanks so they won't be particularly pretty either. I don't mind that it looks functional but I don't want it to be completely ugly either.

Thanks for those two links. They look like great designs. But if anything, they're cementing in my mind that perhaps this may not a project that I would particularly enjoy. I might design it but then find someone to build it for me. Or maybe look for something ready made.

If its not for display then... the hammerlock shelving units are perfect Razzi.... when you put the ply in to replace the mdf shelving you can paint the shelves to look good ...... I have a black coated set of shelves which look quite good and I painted the shelves orange (cheap tin of paint from Bunnings for $10!!!) which looks great - get get a pic of it if you want. they have 2 x 40 litre tanks on each shelf and one shelf has a 2ft tank at the moment... another similar set of shelves has a 3ft tank on it so they are definitely strong enough.... The units I got have 900mm x 400mm shelves and can either be built so they are 3ft high and 6ft wide or 6ft high and 3ft wide.... unused shelves are useful for food, air pumps, put a curtain round them to hide anything else you want to store!

OK, so I think the hammerlock shelving is the way to go. I saw one description that said each shelf can hold up to 350kg of evenly distributed weight!! But why the recommendation to replace the MDF shelving with ply? Is that really necessary? OfficeWorks have something called Hammerfast shelving for $49. That's pretty affordable.

The other thing I need to find is styrofoam sheets that I can use to insulate the tanks. The spot these tanks are going is pretty cold in winter and I figure that if I insulate the bottom, back and sides the heaters won't have to work quite so hard. Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Not sure if you bought but if you go hammerlock dont go too long or too wide try and keep them as close to the size of tanks if possible. You dont have to replace the board, just get some thick lino or contact and cover them before use.

I went and bought $180 unit, pallet racking. Got sick of the other stuff like hammerlock. It always worried me.

I bought the big $130 unit from officeworks for 2ft tanks... it sorta bowed in the middle.

Edited by brettc777

The shelf units I use are from Bunnings - 900mm x 400mm shelves - 1800mm high - black anodised coating - the mdf falls apart with moisture and will grow mould if there is moisture rising from tanks to the unprotected undersides of the mdf shelves... I replaced them with 12mm ply for strength and painted the ply to protect it from water/ moisture....

Re styrofoam... I just picked up 2 sheets of 1200mm x 1200mm x 10mm styrofoam from the local foam rubber supplier for $10 per sheet.... maybe there is a similar place near you Razzi??

OK will see if I can find a rubber place. Used to be a Clark Rubber near me but I think it's gone.

Re: the shelves. I went to Officeworks cos I'm lazy and it's 2 minutes away. I bought the 6ft high x 3 ft wide one for $99, it's got laminated shelves. I spent an hour and a half putting the damn thing up. But DIY and I are not the best of mates. I may have gotten distracted somewhere in the middle there. Anyway, my partner gets home and totally, I mean TOTALLY objects to the thing. "It's too big and we can't put the window blinds down." This is true. There's no way the window blinds can go down. So I rang Officeworks and asked if I could return them. The woman said yes, but I'm not entirely sure she was listening when I said that I had actually put the whole thing together and would now have to take it apart, possibly damaging it in the process. Ok I left out the possibility of damage part. Anyway, we'll see what happens.

I was thinking of getting the smaller unit http://www.officeworks.com.au/retail/products/Furniture/Bookcases-and-Storage/Shelving/OWPC1504. But now that Brett's said it bows in the middle I'm not so sure. Will see what I can find out about pallet racking. Sigh. This really seems harder than it should be.

You don't know how much I appreciate this thread. Every time I attempt something, this is what happens. I thought it was just me..........DIY to me should be DAY.....Don't Attempt Yourself. Lol 

LOL we are so on the same page Paul. Unfortunately it's hard to avoid DIY altogether as a fishkeeper. There always seems to be something you have to fiddle with. Oh, and there was another little mishap that I didn't mention. One of the 2ft tanks I was intending to use has been stored under the carport for a number of years. I discovered it was cracked on one side. Grrr! More DIY. I'm hoping to find a replacement cheap enough for me not to bother with trying to fix this one. Although I'm considering taking it apart so I can use the glass for lids. But if I could neatly take off the panel, why not just get a piece of glass cut to replace it? Sigh. I wish my brain wasn't a merry-go-round.

@fishbites: do you experience the same bowing effect that Brett mentioned? If I replace the large shelves I bought with the smaller one, it won't be quite tall enough to fit all the shelves and still allow sufficient room between the tanks. I was thinking that I could simply leave off the very top shelf, ie only attach 3 of the 4 shelves.

A smaller one would be better. I had one that could fit almost 2x 2foot tanks... but only had one on each shelf. Having them in the middle of such a large shelf made them bow. If it was a smaller shelf that was suited more to the size of the tank it would have done better. The way I had it was like putting a 60kg rock in the middle of a shelf and it didnt distribute the weight correctly. Now its a kids toy shelf lol.

Now basking in the glory of appreication from my wife who has a storage spot for the kids...."sure... yeah... thats what i bought it for" lol

I meant storage spot for toys not kids.... hmmm but it has got me thinking. haha

Edited by brettc777

• 3 weeks later...

Talked to someone about making me a custom stand then started thinking about re-arranging my room so that I can fit a 4ft stand instead. I've put this on hold for the moment until I can decide. There's a lot of junk to get rid off before I can fit a 4ft stand in. And I can't have both. Going to setup up something temporary for the 2 footers so that I can use them.

lol.... decisions.... decisions...... that's why I went with the hammerlock shelves to start with..... deciding on where to put a 6ft tank and whether to go with 3ft or 4ft tanks in a rack.... have the timber.... but too much stuff in the way in the shed so have to work that out yet too.....

Go the 4ft racks and you can still set them up with 2ft or 1ft tanks whichever you decide then :)

I was poised today to head out and purchase the bunnings shelves for exactly the same job today... lucky i checked this thread.

I have 910mm and an awkward shelving unit at the moment, if this one worked, I'd be wrapped:

Here

• 1830mm H x 910mm W x 400mm D
  • Capacity: unit holds up to 750kg evenly distributed

Is this like what you had brett?

I realize pallet racking is better, but they're just too big for my little space.... my gosh, I dont know how i fit my office/artstudio/fishroom & bedroom all into a 3 x 4 mt bedroom.

-Ness

Hmmmmm sounds like you have the bigger shelving system - around 150 width.

I'd just be looking at the 910 with around 50kg on the top 2 shelves (5 x seperate 9 lt filtered tanks per shelf)

Then the 3 & 2 footers below as spawn/growout/sorority/divided tanks

Damn...I just got paid today, after my splurge at someone Lea's and the split in my 2.5 foot tank (bloody silicone) this is turning into an expensive fishy week!

Razzi, How have you gone with your shelving, did they let you swap it ?

-Ness

nah... just have 2 units next to each other.... each unit is 910 x 400 shelves and 1800 high overall...

split in the tank? is it just a bit of silicone let go or glass cracked? not hard to patch either way unless its a display tank then it will look a bit ordinary.....

Wayne,

I want to respond to the silicone queery, but I've already hijacked this thread enough!

Will look at a new thread in DIY for patching naughty tanks.

Thanks!

'Razzi, I'm going to dive in and get one of the Office works shelves (found one on Gumtree, comes with tanks too! Yikes! more tanks....)

I'll let you know how they fair.

-Ness

Took the plunge at Officeworks and purchased not this shelving unit but this shelving unit:

shev.jpg

From Office works - 910 wide x 40 Deep and 180 H

carries 350 KG PER SHELF!!!

Very solid construction and took me about 20 mins and not reading the instructions to assemble. - $89 bucks!

Get the one (not yet on the website) called "Geelong Shelving" the other boltless ones are a bit cheaper and don't look nearly as solid.

Note: The shelves are reinforced ply with a laminate finish - so I didn't even have to waterproof anything.

Rubber mallet was handy instead of a hammer (noise) god knows how I got transporte the grow out/spwn tanks on to shelves

The great part about these (that might be applicable to 'Razzi's original queery about 2 tier low shelving) is that it splits in half.

The side supports (180 cm high on my unit) are actually two 90cm high arms.

So you can create two low units with 2 shelves, or a tall unit like mine with 5 shelves (I left the top one off)

Anyway - hope this helps, I'm a bit of a fan of DIY (to the point of being called the mad professor at my house)

IMG_4692.jpg

Close up of the top shelf, huge supports and thick wide brackets with a clever pressure-fit system to lock it all in place.

....and who can complain with this gunmetal hammertone finish?

I should work as a rep for this company!

-Ness