Sign in to follow this  
Rhysmachine101

Need some Help Identifying what he is!

Hey guys and girls- looking for some help in identifying what my new betta-boy is?

He is LFS bought, a Plakat, and seems to be metallic all over.

I purchased him as a Dragon but as I understand it- and please; correct me if I am wrong- a Dragon has a heavy metallic covering over the top of the head and body while the fins are free of said metallic colouring? Is this right?

Anyway this guy is metal all over!

Some of you would have seen him in the intro thread where I first posted him, so sorry to inflict him upon you again!

Also i would like some honest feedback as to his suitability for breeding- for a first timer, that is :D

How does he measure up?

Anyway: here he is!

Thanks for your time!

Edited by Rhys

I think he is definitely worth breeding. Really need to see him flaring in order to judge his form. Fancy a trip into Melbourne on Sunday? We would love to see him in real life at the Vic Bettas meeting.

Ok, so here he is flaring, you guys make it look so much easier than it actually is! Trying to get some good shots of your fish, I mean.

Thanks for the invite, Bettarazi! I am afraid I will have to cry off, I am working this sunday- plus I am scared of people in general :blush:, sorry! Not very good with the olde social situations :embarrass:

But I may get it off work- its been quiet recently- so If I conjure up some courage, I might just make it down.

Here he is:

So.. would anyone like to take a stab at what kind of genes I might get out of this little fella?

What are his faults?

His strengths?

Hey Rhys. This guy is probably a dragon, but I too get unsure about dragons. I went back to your intro and I agree the other fish is definitely a red dragon. This boy looks like what I've seen other people refer to as armadillo ( check out bettysplendens.com re this). But I think overall the idea is now to call all these thick irid layer fish "dragon".

It's hard to critique him with both the videos, but overall, he is a PK. I think a green dragon but I'm not sure (ie turquoise as the basic rid colour). The dragon gives him a nice even mask over the face/cheeks. He has nice form through his body and even straight ventrals. The caudal fin I cannot assess. Does he stretch up to 180degrees when flaring? Does his tail make the ideal 'D' shape?

I also have just got a couple "blue dragons" but don't know if they really are dragon or opaque. Sorry I can't help more than that.

Hey Rhys,

When you do get the time off work (I chucked a sicky for it!) I recommend catching up at one of these meetings - we're fishy people, as a rule we're generally pretty nice!

I really like your little turq boy - again it's a bit tricky to advise you on his form - overall he's quite nice.

Personally I want you to breed the Steel/Red Dragon boy he's flairing with!! Such unusual colouring, find a nice little red lady and you'd be set!

(:

Have a look through this site - and especially the IBC show standards, there are some very helpful diagrams of the "ideal" form

http://superbbettas.com/Bettas4AllShowStandard/Bettas4AllShowStandard.html

Great place to start doing the research.

-Ness

He doesn't look like he would be halfmoon. So I would call him a traditional plakat. The term dragon is starting to divert a bit from where it started. The term was originally used for fish that looked like the boy next door. I think armadillo or heavy metallic are probably better terms to use. Just my opinion of course. He has a minor colour fault in his anal fin.

Do come on Sunday if you can? We're really very friendly and there won't be that many of us there. Looks like only about 5 or 6 this time.

Thanks everyone for all your help- sorry the videos aren't better quality, my camera is not really meant for videos, I guess.

Sorry that I didn't make it down to the meeting on Sunday, I did end up working :(.

Congratulations Bettarazi for your places in the show! :cheer:

I hope everyone had a great time! :D

Sign in to follow this