Chuckie

Tell us your BBS hatching methods!

Lotsa stuff here, just my two cents on one side issue. I'm not sure how much nutrition BBS lose when refridgerated for short periods of time, say up to 24 hours, because their metabolism slows right down. It would certainly be some, but when I have done it, the BBS basically stop moving after a few min in the fridge, and when I would take them out again, they would need ten min to start moving again and congregate where the light was brightest.

This warning is certainly true for people who have BBS constantly hatching, or use a hatch over the course of a day or even two. If they aren't fed soon after hatching, BBS will use up more and more of their nutritional reserves.

That's an excellent point Mike, and one I hadn't thought of. If refrigerated soon after hatching, presumably they'd take longer to absorb the yolk sac so stay nutritious for longer.

Refrigeration WIN!

It's a great video isn't it, with good backing music :-)

Lilli, the idea wasn't originally mine, just following some advice from Keith Hand. I've found it works really well.

Built myself one of those the other day... works great1

Did you need one because you've got a new spawn?? Did I miss the spawn log?? :)

That's a fantastic video. He took so much trouble with the post production and everything.

if you're a klutz like me the hatchery in the video can be tricky - I keep knocking the damn thing over (and losing all my bbs - did it AGAIN this morning) so much so I'm going to re-read this tonight at home and look at the alternative approaches for something a little more stable and can be sealed to prevent spills if the Klutz gense kick in still!

I stand my bottles in a small (30cm) glass tank so they can't spill. I am waaay too familiar with my inner klutz!

That's what I do as well. And I add a heater when it's cold. Like last week!! In the middle of summer!

My bs hatchery looks like this:

Instructions can be found here.

is it difficult to get them out of that little hole in the top?

Great article BTW :lol:

I use airline to siphon the bbs out. I only hatch enough for a single feed. So I siphon everything out, feed, rinse out the bottle and start again.

i use a glass jar with an airline running in through the lid , the jar sits on the window sill .

When the bbs hatch i use a turkey baster to draw them out then rinse them with tank water through a coffee filter then rinse the coffee filter out directly in the tank ....

My method is like the other Michael's, cut off coke bottles. I am about to move them into a thing like he has, but now they are in a 2ft tank, so access can be a little difficult when the front glass fogs up. I find it much easier if I use a length of rigid plastic attached to airline tubing too.

Ahh.... that reminds me of a bit that isn't pictured and I don't think I mentioned it in the article either. I think I'd misplaced the bits when I was taking the photo. They'll be somewhere in the mess of my fishroom. But it's a plastic bottle stopper that I drilled a hole to fit the airline. The stopper fits into the hole in the top and it's purpose is primarily to stop the airline from slipping out of the bottle. Nothing worse than coming into the fishroom and finding a brine shrimp hatcher malfunction.

I use a thin rubber band around the airline and top of the bottle to stop the pipe coming out.

I have been experimenting with a few different methods. aeration is working for me at the moment. To get the shrimp to congregate near the light, I am trialling standing the bottle (a bottled water bottle) in a stubby cooler. I knew they could be useful for something!

Yeah I never understood the need for stubby coolers. Surely the best way to stop beer from getting warm is to drink it faster. :lol:

But I have cold-sensitive hands . . .

Re the airline coming out, I either poke a hole in the lid of the bottle with a tiny screw driver, and pass the airline up the bottom, or put the airline in from the top and faff around with an elastic band till I get the airline to sit where I want it, a la Lilli. Though I'm sure she doesn't faff.

I don't know what mine are. I bought them from Jodi Lea years ago. I keep them in a sealed tin in the veggie crisper and only remove a couple of tablespoons at a time to keep in the fishroom.

Hi all, how critical is it to separate the bbs from the egg shells or unhatched eggs? I have just got my first lot of bbs to hatch (new eggs) and the unhatched eggs seem to be suspended right throughout the bottle. Even letting the bbs settle doesn't solve the unhatched egg problem. I can't help but draw up some with the bbs. Any quick tips? Thanks, Dan.

i think the eggs that are suspened are in the process of hatching so maybe leave it a couple more hrs and try again.

A few shells won't hurt your fry. Just do your best to minimise the number you suck up and you'll be right.

My experience is that shells, unhatched eggs and bbs don't separate out as neatly as they're supposed to, and there are often shells or eggs all through the water column. But I have yet to see a fry eat an egg/shell, they seem to be attracted to the movement of the bbs, and to actually spit shells out if they do happen to take one in.

So I wouldn't be too worried if there are a few shells mixed in with the shrimp :)