DIY 'Rock' Retainer Wall

Alasse

I've decided to take this tank back to a planted tank....so for starters i wanted a way to separate the plant substrate from the sand i want to use at the front (for my cories) So i decided to build a wall, quite pleased how it turned out actually

So the wall is done. All that was used was foam, silicone and black quartz sand. It is now siliconed into the tank, just have to wait until silicone cures before i can procedd further.

Rough foam draft

foamwall3rdFeb2011.jpg

Full wall

foamwall3rdFeb2011b.jpg

'rock'

foamwall3rdFeb2011c.jpg

Close up

foamwall3rdFeb2011d.jpg

Thanx

I carved rock shapes into the foam with a knife and melted areas with a lighter to make it more realistic.

To coat in sand - Work in snall sections, spread silicone onto foam fairly thinly (like icing a cake), sprinkle sand onto it and gently press into silicone. Continue until you have coated all areas that will be visible. Gently shake off excess, fix areas you may have missed with a small dab of silicone of your fingers, put sand on and gently squash down to match in with surrounds.... Then completely let silicone cure

Edited by Alasse

Actually it doesnt take long at all, the time is in waiting for the silcone to cure..all up it took 2 hours, but around 1 hour of that was waiting for silicone to partly cure ( the wall is 4 sections siliconed together, then sand on top surfaces, then sand on side surfaces)

1st pic taken at 8:31pm, last pic (full sanded wall in tank) taken at 10.25pm

Edited by Alasse

:cheer: Alasse, that is brilliant! I have been looking at my own tank and trying to work out how to keep things seperated when I remove the UGF. Problem solvered!! I have heaps of polystyrene sitting in my studio just waiting for me to do something with it but I wasn't sure what or how until now :dance: thank you, just the inspiration I needed, Jo.

Update:

I did a test fill on the tank and wall. Wall stayed siliconed to the base, phew *L* Actually looks really good under water too.

Ive started putting the substrate into the plant section, miscalculated how much i would need though, grrrrrrrrrr, i'll need to drop into the lfs and pick up more gravel!

Stay tuned, i'll try to grab pics as i'm 'scaping

Soooooo its done, well pretty much, needs a few more plants, but this is all i have at the moment.

A pic of wood and some plants being placed

25ft7thFeb2011a.jpg

Now filled, lights running. Still gotta fix up the canister, then plug it all in

25ft7thFeb2011b.jpg

I must say i'm rather proud of how it turned out

Edited by Alasse

Thanks for pic, looks wonderful. Motivation has finally got its **** together and I've made a start on my own rock wall. Mine is going to be curved outward from one corner of the tank to the back wall. Just have to find some quartz sand, local nursery was less than helpful <_< so have come to a grinding halt for now :censor: Jo/Nanna B)