Lame looking tank

Neffy

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hehe i was flat out last night ! no time for pictures but the lotus is AMAZING !! i really do love it ive placed it in the brightest part of the tank and its so beautifull, thanks heaps !

I wont get home till 7 tonight so we will have to wait till then for a photo :(

Heres hoping it keeps its color once it gets a little bigger place to the rear a little more so it is amongst all the green should look good if it holds it red coloring

also dont stick it in the middle of your tank as a centre piece keep it of centre as it is now

look forward to updates see how it goes with the lower light conditions as this is an experiment on how it will handle staying red

Ray

• 2 weeks later...

The lotus is doing very well, at fist it dropped a small leaf and i got worried but no other leaves have fallen off, its spread out a fair bit trying to get the most light i guess ! i dont think its gotten much height on it yet but i will take a photo tonight to compare ! Its still in the pot !

Good to hear it is doing well

It is not uncommon for them to drop leaves when moving them to different conditions and one of the reasons I prefer to sell them potted as they seem to handle the move better

You may want to look at dosing a little iron if you are not already

Ray

• 4 weeks later...

ok so i sold 2 giant plants and this crap silverleaf thing plant a the fair as well as get some huge driftwood .. its too huge i had to take everything out, catch all the fish and then put it all back in T_T my back is killing me this is all i got done so far

opinions?

Edited by Neffy

looking good

plenty of room for it all to grow back again personally I would move the anubias and while you where at the fish fare you should have picked up some needle leaf java and placed it in the location you have the anubias

I would move the anubias to the lower section under the bit that points forward/right just to the left of the angel.

I have no idea how to scape a tank so hopefully someone else will comment

Glad to see the lotus is alive and well and when you plant it dont forget to give it a feed with some root tabs

Maybe some moss on the wood but I would go for xmas or fire rather than java

oh and fill the tank

Ray

Ray, can you be our plant jedi?

Jess the tank looks great, loving the driftwood... I wish I could keep mne without whit slime all over, no amount of boiling makes it go away... Wah.

Anyway, loving the red.... Remember all that previous design stuff I mentioned?

Asymmetry and negative space- same principals go for feature colour & hardscapes like the opals n driftwood.

Gosh, looking back at the original, this can be the fat boy slim tank "you've come a long way, baby"

(so 90's)

loving the planty teamwork!

x greeNess

Thanks pritch! I do own some needle leaf i got at the auction awhile back ill nick some from my bettas tank hehe poor boys, i definetly agree on moving the anubias but ive never had much luck with moss =( would dino dung be suitable for the lotus?

Ness if i moved the drifwood all the way to the left would that help with asyemetry a bit more ? the wood is cut off in a straight edge that could go quite snug against the glass then have the rocks more on the right of the tank. all the swords would then go from left to right behind/arround the driftwood with the lotus also too the right in front of them. you would have two diagonal lines going from top left to bottom/mid right the wood and green plants, or should the lines be oposite each other ending in the centers? argh negative space e_e

I dunno if that makes sense design is my weakest point =/ maybe i will draw it first on my ipad to see.

Yep same tank sarah =D thanks!

dino dung will be fine for the lotus and for all your swords

I am aslo currently about to try the manutec aquatic plant tabs under my swords as they are looking a bit shabby just not doing well.

I also dont have much luck with mosses but they do look so good on the wood.

I also thought the wood was a bit central but giving its size in the tank thought it may be dificult to offset it all that much? hence the needle leaf as it will block hide the wood a little once it grows and it will look like two bits of wood eventually if you get the java to grow large enough.

Helped with a tank setup recently (group of about 8) and so much time was spent in deciding how to place some beutifull bits of wood but by the time all the plants went in and then filled out I sort of wondered if it was all worth while although it was a very nice setup but you couldnt see the wood eventually.

I also have done the same and now removed some of my larger pieces as you lose sight of them in a heavlly planted tank and more plant room without it.

I also had someone telling me how they paid a huge amount of money for a bit of driftwood and planted needle leaf on it and it covered it up and couldnt see the bit of wood, close to 2ft long or more and so thick with needle leaf that looked fantastic but the wood was lost so I wouldnt worry to much about your placment as it looks like it will eventually be heavlly planted and will cover it anyway.

sorry going on a little

Ray

for all my scribbling last night i didnt get anything done, my little pepermint decided to escape his net and hid underneath the wood teasing me with his little tail poking out underneath, well come night time i turned all the lights off and waited sure enough he came out and i led him on a merry chase about the tank and recaptured him. Now i can shift it without squishing him so tonight should have a bit more progress.

I like the idea of spliting up the wood with some needle leaf !

Looks great Neffy! I have some plants here if you want them. broad leaf chainsword and some subwassertang, grows like a weed in my tank, a few strands got caught on my intake and a few months later there's a soft ball sized lump stuck to the intake preventing water from getting in. So much easier than java moss.

I would move the blyxa out of the foreground and grow something shorted like E. Tennulus, it's a low tech fore ground plant. I think tropics java fern would look better than needle leaf. I can send you a few plantlets but I don't have many so only a few. Just pay shipping and I can give you some stuff.

haha no ive grown to dislike sub it blocks my gravel cleaner hose all the time.

Normal java fern would fill in quicker with the larger leaves thats true, i also have some of it i also have windelov as well which is quite attractive maybe ill use bits of all of them!

do you have any E. Tennulus ? it looks exactly like blyxa to me maybe thinner XD

No I don't sory, I like to use glosso as a foreground. It doesn't get as big as blyxa and it sends out chains (runners) of new plants. I planted glosso in my foreground once, it got so big everything but the C. bamansae disapeered behind it

i couldnt stand trying to plant glosso hehe ive tried it a few times with no luck, i dont think i have good enough lights for it either

oh also im not too fussed about covering my wood like the other guy did :P it only cost me $20 for the huge peice it has much more interesting angles then what i ended with but i couldnt balance it right or stand it up vertically :(

While you lot all talk in tongues about different plants - I'll just respond about the green stuff and the brown stuff....

The brown stuff looks 2000% better on the side, personally I'd plant up the left hand side all the way from the back to the front (obviously shorter at the front) so you can't see where the end of the wood is...

gives it more of a natural "cross-section" look than a block of wood in a tank.

Here is what our CGI Engineers came up with as a graphic representation of this recommendation:

nesstank.jpg

Loving that new vector paintbrush... but you get what I mean, and build up the background.

Just my humble opinion - keen in mind i know nothing about green and brown stuff, just know what I'd like to look at.

xx

I love the pic my brain works in picture

s I have Lot of unplanted stem plants I can use to fill up the areas I definitely like planting densely on the right there to block the ends of the wood up and push it back to the center more

Ness' pic reminded me of Ambulia somehow.

Great work on transforming the tank, Neff. Maybe you could consider carpet plants that'd look nice? Like.. HC or Riccia?

Even if you don't fill up the area, if the conditions are perfect for the plants, they can easily overgrow your tank in a few months time

Is there a reason why the tank is not filled as I find it very annoying and it distracts my eye to look at the water level first rather than the tank.

I dont mind the location of the wood but something is missing/not right to me but cant seem to think what it is?

It maybe that it just needs to fill out a little more but as I said I really have no idea how to scape and it comes down to you liking it.

What is the plant at the rear right hand side as I cant quite make it out? Bolbitis? if it is and I am guessing it some of the big ones sold at the last auction or fish fair and could be a little out of place because of its size as it was very large and really needa a big tank IMO

If it is the bolbitis try placing it at an angle rather than straight up as I think it would look more naturall as it gives more a weeping look to the plant like the fronds on a fern

Ray