Brown Java moss

Help. All going brown. Is in my display betta tank. Good light, no nutrients. Have now move a clump to community tank to see if I can revive it. Very brown. This tank gets co2 and nutrients. Is it too late? Everything I read says you can't kill it. I knew I had talent!!!! :-D

9f77ad0f.jpg

b3a05c3a.jpg

Now

ede8b850.jpg

Any ideas. I love plants and take pride in my community tank. What am I doing wrong.

This isn't really going to be helpful as Java moss is problably the one plant I DON'T have, but I was just looking at the December photos of your 3ft and it is beautiful Busman. I know the look I'm aiming for now, just waiting for canister filter to arrive (only running UGF at the moment...Ah you gotta love having a husband who studied aqua-culture <_< ). Sorry I'm not the least bit helpful. Jo

Have you dosed the tank with any copper based conconction? sometimes this will kill off moss.... also things like some of the fertilisers that have carbon in them have chemicals that sometimes don't do mosses any favours....

Generally with java moss ... my tanks with the least light and only natural nitrates (from fish waste) produce the greenest java moss.... other fast growing plants in a tank can take up all the nutrients quickly and deprive the slower growing mosses too...... even java moss in the bottom of an unlit and dirty fry tank comes out pretty green still so I'm putting it down to chemicals or lack of food .... pH shouldn't be a problem - have had it grow extremely well in pH 5.9 up to pH 8.5 and still healthy moss....

This Is my display Betta tank. Little bit of Java Fern as well but one small piece only. No other plants. No chemicals added to this tank. No fertilizers either. No co2. Nothing. Has two foot light with good globe in it.

This also happened to my moss in two ltr bottles which got little light. Thought that was the problem but happened in display tank now.

@holycow...........won't be able to save it?

Edited by Busman

I'm not much help but I just got some off a guy on eBay he was super helpful and nice I purchased golf ball size clump for $2.25 x 2 and like $6.00 for express postage and he threw in a huge bag of freeze dried blackworm in their as a bonus :) :) it was well worth the $10.50 :o sorry not much help am I lol :)

Could it be it's not used to your betta display tank? Coz I have java moss in my shrimp tank growing at the speed of light with a drop of liquid fertiliser once a week and light on 12 hours a day. I pulled some out to use in my breeding tank and within 2 weeks it looks almost as brown as yours. Since I didn't need it to look nice, I only need it to provide cover for my female betta or fry to come I didn't change it. But after a few weeks it started sprouting green from the brown and had excellent growth.

Maybe it's going through a transition period?

It's been in the tank since my last spawn (about six weeks). My last lot did it too. Might buy some more and put it in community tank and see how it goes. Does the same in bottles. Have no problem with any other plants, just not this. That annoys me even more.

Do you think it is beyond recovery?

I had some Java Moss in a Betta jar.. forgot about the light.. it was just like this (if not worse).

So I rinsed it, and it came OK. Figured might as well try it. Put it into community tank, and it is a nice, lush green now. Sadly I didn't attach it (it ran away before I could catch it) and I found it up the intake of the filter. Pulled it out, it was striped right down to its 'branch'.. but is GREEN!!! So I just attached it to the ship. :) Seems fine enough. So no, I believe it is not beyond recovery.

Steady at about 28. Thought I could see a bit of green amongst the brown with the clump I put in community tank. Might be kidding myself as well. Maybe a lack of food?

Not really concern, more annoyed that it keeps dying for me ( never had it in community tank before ) and everything I read says you can't kill it.

@Flamedragon..............thanks for the compliment. It is my pride and joy. Bit neglected at the moment as my hands are full with two betta spawns.

Edited by Busman

I would remove that moss, it looks dead to me and it can't be saved in my opinion. I, like Joan, have java moss in my shrimp tank and can't STOP it from growing. I have to thin it out every few months or I lose track of my shrimp... I also know there's a driftwood piece in there with java fern attached but I can't see it any longer due to the abundance of moss! I don't do anything to my shrimp tank at all. It has a 2ft light, that I rarely remember to put on, a sponge filter and a TON of shrimp that are probably over populating the tank as we speak. I almost NEVER suction vac the floor of the tank either. I think the shrimp themselves are mainly responsible for the great condition of the moss, they tend to eat any growths on it and keep it very clean. I can actually see the moss growing now, it has little buds on the leaves. It's cool

Sorry, but your moss seems beyond dead. Better luck next time!

Edited by Fighters4U

• 7 months later...

I realise this is a relitively old thread but I thought I'd pipe in.

Java moss is hardy as anything (I've had it live for over six months burried in dry gravel in a dark cupboard and it came out bright green).

What happened, as you can see in the photos, is this java moss has had all sorts of debris build up on it. This is about the only thing I know which will kill it.

You either need a current to stop it settling or shrimp (possibly snails and the odd variety of fish might do this too but my snails are pretty bad for just letting it go).

Blackworm out.