Marine Tank

Yanagi

Lmao Shadoh, not quite up to that part yet unfortunately.

I think I may indeed just pull everything out and have a total do-over. It will give me a chance to catch the ugly brown tang and the few nasty crabs I've spotted. I may wait until tomorrow though as I have wanted to change the substrate since I bought the blasted thing. It's this awful red sea max substrate, stupid little ball things.. I want actual SAND. Of course that means I need to go BUY sand. Boo.

Oh, there's also for sure a mantis shrimp in here. I saw him for the first time friday morning. I've been hearing him for months now! He's not even one of the pretty ones, just a gross dull brown one.

The large clump of star polyps (very front of the tank, left hand corner) needs to go too, I think. It's a bit 'amateur' as far as coral goes and it takes up a lot of valuable space. I may cut it up and use it to fill in any empty spaces though as it's so adaptable I can put it anywhere and it will be happy.

I'd love to get a zoanthid garden cranking somewhere in here now that I'm sure my flame angel doesn't touch it. I think it's time to go coral shopping online.. :)

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found an aquascape VERY similar to what I hope to achieve with the 4 footer. http://i358.photobucket.com/albums/oo21/rodney_ri/Picture-179.jpg From http://www.masa.asn.au/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=148&t=196860&start=240 that thread.

I love that tank. What I want to do though is flip it so the caves are on the right (I am strange like that) with more height and have less rock/bulk to the left side so that it's more open swimming space. Maybe a bommie on the left. I wish I could draw up what I have in my mind but rocks were never my forte.

Yan, have you ever ordered from here? There prices seem very resonable. http://www.amdbulbs.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=42&Itemid=74 my light should arrive this month :D I'm thinking I may get a bigger set up with one of these LED's though http://www.amdbulbs.com/site/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=41&Itemid=75

Looking great Yan! I really love how this tank is going, looks much better now.

So... what tank is the snowflake eel going in aye? :P

Saw the little guy at Auburn today, dad was like to me.. he'll look great in your tank Sarah! I was like, YEAH! Oh, but it's marine... that would mean I would need a marine tank *cough*. :P

I haven't ordered from there as of yet, Matt. I think it will be the first place I go to when I have funds for a zoo garden though.

Y'know, the more I think about it the more I'm in general pretty confused about LED lighting. I have some awesome stuff growing under around 25-30 watts of LED lighting. That's in a 20 inch deep tank. Why the need for these huge panels when I can get an acro coming back to life off my live rock. Under a lot less light! I can't imagine what 60w would do in my tank.. Bleach the coral and blind the fish probably.. lol

Eel is going in the 4 footer. :P He would eat my coral goby and firefish otherwise. I am not getting the current one at work, he's WAY too aggro. He bites and latches onto the trigger, tangs, etc. I don't hand feed that one.. I throw food in it's general direction and watch it wrestle the food out of the triggers mouth. :blink: Scary.

I am thinking when I get the 4 footer, I will have the cabinet built much longer and get a 2 x 2 x 2 or similar and hook it up to the same sump. I'm over the RSM and It would make more sense to buy a new tank and hook it up to the bigger system than to replace and mod the RSM any further than what I already have. Want to buy it, Sarah? ;P

I got all the sand washed (probably not enough but that's ok..) but I'm finding it really hard now to dig everything out. It will never go back in the way it was. Never. Just doesn't work like that with rocks. What if I hate the new scape more than the old one? Argh.

It needs to be done though I guess. I don't think I want the cardinals anymore, they're pretty boring. The Tang has to go as well.

In other news, I've just ordered two epic tiny little Tunze Turbelle Nanostream 6015 so I can replace the big ugly thing that's now starting to rust.

The 6015's are TINY, seriously. The two of them will equal about the same size as the big one I've got.. and I can put them on opposite ends! Yay!

Piccies when you put it all back together please :D

Do zoos require a chiller? I've sen them in the wild in rockpools that heat up alot. I have decided a chiller is out of my pricerange so I would like a zoo garden in my 30cm cube :)

Well I took out half bucket of the old substrate and added almost a full bucket of actual coral sand, it looks SO much better. It really does. It's a million times more natural and WHITER!

I got too tired though so I just dumped all the rock and coral back in and will sort out a 'scape when I feel better.. I went to bed at 11pm and got up at.. 12pm. Ugh!

I didn't catch any of the fish because I realized I have no idea where I will put them until I can take them back to work, LOL. Plus when I was doing the substrate change the tank was so full of sediment I couldn't see 3 inches deep into the tank.

Disgrunted crab has been moved, though. He's in a little live rock tank until I can figure out what to do with it. I couldn't see it before but he actually has grown.. Quite a bit. He is just an algae eater but he creeps me out so yeah, he's OUTTA THERE.

Ok well.. I think I kind of look this randomly tossed around rock look. Maybe there's a few pieces of rock I'd like to move but I think it looks pretty good.

Was also doing some reading on a marine forum about a discussion RE shoe eels / snowflake eels VS zebra eels. It seems everyone agrees Zebra is a better choice as far as reef tanks, aggression and fish snacking goes.

We do have a zebra eel at work... Hummm... :)

Still haven't touched the tank, just feel really worn down today. :(

Lights are out, corals are feeding on some coral food and BBS.. I may move one or two rocks tomorrow but I kind of like it now. For now. I know that won't last, lol. Plus a few corals need to be moved.

I just went and ordered a fair bit of stuff from guppies.. Here's hoping they send me the right stuff this time. A whole bunch of new test kits as I am not sure I trust mine. Some coral fragging tools (I am so going to start my own zoo garden and tear apart that zoo rock LOL) and some other bits and pieces. I so cannot wait for all my goodies to come!

On my list:

Tunze 6015 x 2

4 Stage RO unit

Coral fragging kit

Other assorted awesome stuffs.

I'm also now going to be a crash test dummy (almost literally) for the new Red Sea range 'reef colours/reef energy' etc whatever they are calling it. Right now I'm just using the phosphate/nitrate remover but I'm going to get onto reef energy A & B which supposedly force some epic polyp extension and really good feed for the corals. Whatever else I can afford as time passes too as I've just finished paying off my car, WOO.

I am considering really modding the RSM right now. I'm not really sure why but all of a sudden my attention has gone off a new tank and back onto it. I do want to get out the dremel drill and butcher the hood to put in some more lighting. Two T5 tubes, maybe another LED panel and definitely some serious moon lighting. I'm also thinking about how to add a sump onto it so I can get a real skimmer. Nothing that I can't pull off the tank and use on another if the need or want arises. I still want it to look absolutely STOCK though, but that shouldn't be hard. The inside of the hood is hollow so carving it out shouldn't be difficult. Just wiring it and coming up with some kind of splash guard is going to be the fun part. Need to look more into that.

/ramblings and jumbled thought procress of a tired, sick and sick and tired Yan.

Got my Tunze Turbelles earlier in the week, they're pretty amazing. I think I could of gone with just one and been fine, but the coral isn't complaining. If anything it's looking better than ever. I think I will buy the multicontroller in a few weeks when my funds recover from the massive spending spree I've had this past week.

Also got my new test kits but I am a huge moron and forgot phosphate test kit.. That's ok. I guess I'll wait and buy a hanna phosphate checker anyway. Everything looks to be in line, nitrate is actually pretty high, eep.

Starting to dose with Red Sea's new stuff now. I had the nitrate/phosphate remover for almost a week now and I've noticed a significant decline in the amount of algae. Also now doing Reef energy A & B which is supposed to force polyp extension and give them a good old feed. Now cutting back on my dosing of aquasonic's sea food and increasing feedings of BBS. Happy with how things are going, just really really need that RO unit to show up some time soon to help with the algae.

Oh I also got Guppy's programmable digital timer and while I'm still working out the kinks, it's great. I've now got staggered lighting. RSM stock moonlights run all night, then at some time around 10am the moonlight bar comes on, a couple hours later the main blue LED comes on and the moonlight bar goes off. An hour after that the main white LED bar comes on as well.. Late at night the white bar goes off, then the blue bar, then the moonlight bar kicks in again and stays on for a couple of hours then switches off and back to just RSM moonlight LEDs (super dull, can barely tell they are on). I really really want more light in there though. Thinking of putting the stock lighting back in (i could actually really use the heat they put out in this weather) and ripping the hood to shreds to get the LED strips placed elsewhere.

My coral goby is finally starting to put on weight back on.

Loving the new sand. The fish came through it all fine, I expected the tang to end up with white spot over the whole ordeal (which is why I decided not to catch him and return him to work.. now I think I'll just buy a fish trap).

265107_2127391780970_1131185180_2445639_

264377_2127391940974_1131185180_2445640_

/Ramblings of hungover and kind of sick Yan

Looks great Yan, Dad saw the Red Sea max at Atlas teh otherday and said he really liked it, then he saw the price tag and changed his mind *lol*

I really like those black and white occeleris (spelling?) I'm getting myself a pair.

Does teh Mantis eat your stock? I'm going to get myself one, not keeping it with fish though.

Edited by Matt_95

Tell him to check out second hand ones, they often go VERY reasonably, and well under retail. ;P

^ ocellaris, lol. Mine are pretty cool but they refuse to host in ANYTHING. I've got plenty of choices for them but nope. The ones in the display at work will host in mushrooms....

Mantis hasn't touched anything I don't think, but I have noticed ripped fins on some of my fish occasionally.. It's really odd because there is very little aggression and when there is, it's a little chasing between the cardinals and that's that. Both cardinals have turned up every now and then with ripped fins on their lower halves and the flame angel as well. Kind of odd, I don't know who or what to blame for it. The coral goby would be the first thing to go if the Mantis really wanted to, though.

Do you know where I could find second hand ones? I really like them :)

Thanks :) they are just a colour morph of the normal occies right? Could I have a pair of orange and a black? Or 2 pairs in a 3 foot tank? I'll go research now. I remember when I had a 6 foot tank the occies would always get beaten up and die because the Clarks would beat them up :(

I love the coral goby :) I used to catch them for my tank :)

what type was it? Smasher or spearer? I would think smasher because I don't think spearers hitchhike. Smashers usually go after inverts I beleive but also fish, it has to be eating something so it's probably eating snails and such right?

Check our reef/marine forums, gumtree, ebay, etc. I got mine off ebay and I think I may have seen a few on MASA recently.

Basically, yeah. You can mix an orange and a black one. Stick to one pair only, or maybe one other single one but 2 pairs won't work.. And yeah, never mix clown types... as you've obviously experienced, it doesn't work lol Clowns can be super aggressive and territorial.

I have no idea. I've only seen a glimpse of it once as it scuttled back under a rock. I have no idea why one type would hitchhike and the other not, that just does not sound right. More than likely just eating pods. Maybe a few snails here and there as I've had a bunch of snails pop up as hitchhikers.

I'll have a look through the ones on MASA again :)

I wonder if I mixed pair would look good though :confused:

I beleive spearers live in the sand while smashers actually smash tunnels into the rock and that is why they hitchhike. The smashers can hit with the force of a 0.22 calibre bullet so can break through rock while the spearers spear things arn't made for rock but flesh.

Ahh my god my brain hurts so much.

Got home an hour ago from a staff meeting/presentation at work all about the new Red Sea range. I've seen improvement in just DAYS so I was already sold on it. Then he showed us images of growth rates over 42 days. OMG. Did NOT look like the same coral. Wow. Based on what he's shared, my system is more in the 'colour' range of the spectrum rather than one focused on growth and that's ok with me. I have a lot of LARGE pieces of coral in there and fast running out of room for more acan pieces.

Going to take a while to all sink in.

I brought home a cleaner wrasse :goodo: ( am I the only one who sees this as something other than what it's meant to be..? lol) already eating frozen food and friendly as all get out. Ought to make my dad happy since I lost the blennywho was his favourite a while ago. This is the first 'new' fish the Tang has accepted without a fuss. Swam right up to the wrasse, raised his gill and got on his side for a nice cleaning.. Wrasse swam right past, lol.

• 7 months later...