Marine Tank

Yanagi

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That hurts, Busman. :(

lol

Ok seriously, pictures are coming very soon.. Had to go watch the recorded episode of the block with mum. :D Now to edit a bit...

You're probably all in bed by now but oh well. :P I HAS NEW STUFFS.

WOW look at those shots!!

...and I'll admit... he looks like a "Super Sai - Yan"

I had a monster ruykin who had perfect dark red markings, white butterfly finnage, a light black trim on all fins and a BLACK bottom lip

I called him Shi-tjin

phonetically it makes sense, you sort of have to say it aloud.

I can't praise this tank enough - even though I'm crap at keeping up (still want the shoe eel somewhere in your house Miss Del)

Lots of lemon for you missy. Get better, then Get back to the tanks.

We're a slave to our tanks, and face it, our wrinkly little fingers love it.

x

Yay, praise for my photos! :D

I'm really slowly working out the kinks in this camera.. my 2 favourite pieces don't have their own individual shots because 1. the goni isn't out and 2. i can't get it to focus properly on the monti.

I'm really still disappointed with the fact this camera does NOT like the blue light. It washes everything out and I have to go back and photoshop in the right colour, or as close to it as possible. The last one pictured looks INCREDIBLE under the blue only LEDs but I just couldn't capture it.

He is definitely SUPER SAIYAN. I have to keep him now, don't I? :(

I am again considering the snowflake eel.. We got 2 new ones in at work and hOH my god. One is an absolute NUTTER. He's so aggressive he actually bit one of the triggerfish and shook him around like crazy. I didn't know whether to beat him off or laugh at the trigger getting his own back (he steals the eels food and tried to bite me once). It was over before I could do anything so I was just left standing there dumb struck.. NOT that I want that eel. No thanks. I'll stick to a more placid one. Where was I going with this story? I'm not sure. Eels are cool.

Lemon? Oh.. So vodka doesn't work for sore throats? Been working so far!! LOL And honey in my tea..

FTS.

270733_2062329474453_1131185180_2391416_

260420_2062330114469_1131185180_2391417_

More praise is coming your way Yan. I love your tank. Keep the photos rolling please. Not so sure about the eel though. Lol.

Sorry, no offense intended but you are all still a little crazy. If it wasn't for me, I don't think there would be any sane people on here.......

I'm again feeling the need for a change in aquascape. Get the rocks away from the walls of the tank. I'm not too sure what exactly I want to do through because the fish LOVE it as it is. Nice big cave up the RLH corner for the ugly tang, another beside it for the clowns and I think the cardinals sometimes get in it too, etc.I do have a very large amount of rock in there for the size tank it is, anyway... Hmmm. That tang really needs to go.

Or I just need another marine tank to play with...

I do have another tank sitting around with excess live rock, and now a bit of macro algae that I have been letting pods and other crittbers breed in freely. This tank is aimed towards bringing home a Mandarin, fattening it up and training it to eat frozen foods.. But there isn't any reason it can't look nice.. right? ... :D Perhaps another project in the works.

I just looked at some older photos of the tank and the leathers have grown SO much. I'm pretty happy with that! So has the random plate coral up in the rear right hand corner, the one the coral goby is sitting on. I got it half dead. It's got a lot of new growth on it now.

Oh NaughtyNess

I had a monster ruykin who had perfect dark red markings, white butterfly finnage, a light black trim on all fins and a BLACK bottom lip

I called him Shi-tjin

:rofl:

Sorry Yan so busy laughing at Ness forgot to say beautiful photos :blush:

Edited by FlameDragon

Oh man, the barracks is GOOONNNNNEEEE!!!

I'm slowing working on my parents. 'You know, a 6 footer would look GREAT along this wall.', 'I just did up a few measurements and as long as my door is taken off the hinges and I move the community tank which I want to do anyway, it will right right in!', etc...

This way they are less likely to say no to a 5 x 2 x 2.. ;) LOL Oh god what have I done.. reefing. It's like drugs. I'M HOOKED.

Oh and I found these AWESOME LEDs.. At least they look/sound awesome on paper. I've never heard of them before so not sure on quality. However they look UH-MAZING.

3w Cree. Dimmable. Programmable. Controllable via remote. CHEAP for how amazing they are. I am so, so tempted to buy some even though I have no idea what size tank I am going to end up with. The lights are on sale... I could always buy 2 units which would be enough for a 4 footer.. Get more if I need to, right? Right??

Some pics to come later, maybe a video too. :P

Huh?? I posted a reply.. I swore it went through. It's gone?? I guess my internet is still funny. :(

Anyways, sweeper tentacles are an aggression and protection tactic. They have a toxin in them that's very comparable to a bee sting but they effect people differently. In any case, it HURTS.

So yeah, if there's another coral too close they may be able to put out their sweepers a 'burn' the neighbouring coral to death. Different corals have different length of sweepers. Nothing quite like seeing a huge Torch coral putting out massive sweepers.

Some people develop a reaction to the stings to the point where they can put their hand in a tank with the coral they react to and feel a tingling sensation.

Isn't coral cool? LOL :P

Coral is Alien life form.

Miss Del these shots are amazing - I have to second Neffy's observation - you're totally getting the hang of the camera.

That shot of the Blasto is incredible...

What camea are you using? (This might have been asked and answered before)

Cos I can't reccomend a little eBay second hand G9 enough... they're light weight and the macro is insanely powerful.

I'm just wondering if you're able to mess with the white balance on your camera, this would help with the colours that the LED lighting are producing.

Some little autos also let you choose what lighting conditions you're shooting under.

Worth finding out - I've now discovered in my grow out tank what lighting setting and white balance I need to demonstrate the most realistic colour.

Anyway, back to your tank, I have to admit; i'm with the fish- I like the piled up rocks to the wall - I always struggle with layouts that have large quantities of coral/rock/hardscape all piled in the middle... just dosen't look realistic (to my eye)

For some reason I always imagine scaped tanks to just be like a cut and paste section of real life... at least thats what good scapes make me imagine.

PS mind those stingy things... you could threaten it with your drippy nose if it gets too agro.

or set the shoe eel on it.... it could be like your pitbul.

x

At home I use a Fujifilm finepix S5800 with a macro lens. I much prefer the camera we have at work which is an Olympus SP600UZ. The white balance on that one is just so much better and it's dead easy. A blind monkey could take brilliant photos with it.

Cannot adjust the white balance much on this one, I can't even get pics of my tropical tank looking right under the given W.B. settings. Though this may just be the fact I don't read manuals and I may have not found out there's some other way to adjust the W.B. setting.

260327_2103503423776_1131185180_2408961_

Un-edited, just resized.

At the moment I have changed my mind yet again RE the 'rockscape'. It gives me a lot of options for coral placement, but if I keep accumulating acans and favias I am fast going to run out of room.

I thought y'all might be interested to know.. I think I am going to head in a different direction with the 4 footer (now looking at a 4' by 2' by 30").

I am in love with the Asfur Angel (click it, I already googled it and grabbed a pic for you LOL) at work. He was pretty shy when he came in but I've got him hand feeding, recognizing me, will sometimes let me give him a pat on the head. The only problem is that Angelfish especially of the large variety are notorious coral eaters. :(

I'd also like a Harlequin Tusk fish, which again may not be reef safe.

As everyone has already noticed, I have fallen hard for Super SaiYAN the Powder Blue Tang who is reef safe but LARGE.

Plus the 'Shoe Eel' aka Snowflake eels grow very, very large. However the risk of him eating my fish is minimized by the fact all the fish I have listed thus far are WAY TOO BIG to be eaten.

What I am now thinking is I will start out FOWLR (Fish only with live rock). I will feed these fish into rotund beasts almost resembling whales. Then I will add some.. DUN DUN DU~UU~UN~.. LPS coral. I think they are less likely to be eaten. I hope.

Things like Hammer corals, Elegance (Cats) corals, Frogspawns, Torches and eventually moving onto Favias, Blasto, Brains, etc as long as the fish show no signs of nipping the first listed corals.

In theory fish with full bellies shouldn't be interested in coral but obviously it doesn't always work that way. If they're going to pick coral there's nothing that is going to stop them aside from not having any coral.

Of course all this relies on the fact I get a large enough tank (minimum 4 x 2 x 2). If I don't, well, all this thought and planning has gone to waste. Actually no, scrap that. It hasn't. Thinking about fish is never a waste. After all, it beats clothes, handbag and shoe shopping. :D

I've lost my train of thought. Ummm...

Ok well, next salty topic. The only issue with live rock being up against walls of the tank is you can't get in there properly to clean the glass. Waaah. :(

And let's dive right into the next topic again.

That little live rock holding tank I mentioned a few posts ago..

It has a fishy in it now.

A skinny little Mandarin who isn't doing too well. We'll see how he goes.

Skinny Mandarin appears to be dying.. I knew I should have grabbed the other one. Stupid expensive fish, ugh.

Whyyy do they have to be so hard to keep in captivity?! Blah.

Edited by Yan

Oh boy, I just starting writing up a big post. Then accidentally clicked back and now I can't get the post back. Ugh!

Ok well I was going to say sorry for mostly using this thread as a dairy but hey, we don't have a tank journals section on this forum and reefer forums can be scary. LOL

Barring any SUMCS (sudden unexplained mind-changing syndrome) a 48 x 24 x 30 is on the cards. That's about 150 gallons or 550 liters, which more than covers the 'minimum' recommended tank size for all the fish I want. Well, the Asfur cuts it close but I think a lot of people are rather dramatic when it comes to minimum tank sizes but that's a topic for another day.

I am most likely going to have it custom built but I need to do more research on how I want to do the overflow and return.

Just as an FYI, this is going to be interesting. I can barely reach the bottom of the RSM (red sea max, current tank) which is only about 20 inch deep.