Marine Tank

Yanagi

Yup, pretty plain right now but it's going through a mini-cycle so no corals just yet. :) I'll update it as I go.

Came with; Pair of black and white clowns. Brown tang. Bi-colour Blenny. Some un-ID'd nasty looking crab who I haven't seen since he went in the tank.

Feel free to critique my live rock structure. :P First time I've ever used rocks in ANY tank...

FTScopy.png

Blennycopy.pngclownsntang.jpg

• Replies 176
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The rock it's self isn't alive, but it contains heaps of micro and macrosopic critters living in/on it.. It's basically the main biological filter in a marine system. It also houses things like that nasty looking crab the previous owner didn't even know he had. We didn't know it was in there until we put the largest piece of rock in the foam box and out plopped a very disgruntled crab.. hah. Also has plenty of hidey holes for the Blenny.

Going to look a lot nicer in a few weeks.. Have a few pieces of coral being held until the tank is ready.. :)

Nah, first marine tank. Been reluctant because I have some sort of issue with salt water, it burns/irritates my skin. Not much I can do about it but look for tank-safe shoulder length gloves and put them on any time I want to do anything in the tank, or hope I grow immune to it.

beautiful tank.... I hope it doesn't give you too much irritation

BTW I've read it's unsafe for marine tanks to have a nitrate level higher than 10.... (mine goes to about 20 before I change the water). What kind of maintenance other than water changes are you doing to keep it low? Maybe some tips I can adopt for a fresh water tank.

The rock it's self isn't alive, but it contains heaps of micro and macrosopic critters living in/on it

What a relief! I seriously got freaked out "ROCKS ARE ALIVE!?!" *lol*

I thought I had missed something.. made me feel bad for jumping on them (to cross over) when at rock pools. :embarrass: Thanks Yan. :)

ROFL @Sarah.

@Neffy, know what you mean. I have heard it's a LOT harder to maintain a balance within the tank. Sooooo many beautiful fish though.

@Yan............. How many ltr is it? And filtration? You getting corals as well? Will be watching with interest. Please keep us informed of your progress. Might try myself one day.

Lol Sarah, I'd certainly hope rocks aren't actually alive. Wouldn't want to come into my room one day and find my rocks on the floor flopping around and another one holding the lid open helping the others out.

Fish-only marine tanks are easier the reef tanks. You can always upgrade lighting and get corals later on.. Give it a go ;P

Sorry, probably should of added tank stats in the first post. It's the Red Sea Max 130D.

130lt, 110lt in the actual fishy section. Almost a 2ft cube. Built in 'vertical sump' in the back with protein skimmer and what not. Two circulation pumps that come standard. I'm buying another two with nozzles to make them more into 'waves' then just jets of water. I do need to buy some more fans though because the lights make the tank run VERY hot.. A bit hotter than coral would like.

Yup, got some coral and an anemone on hold until the tank settles down. :) Will post pics when the tank's ready and it's in.

I've always admired marine tanks, but they seem too hard to maintain, plus the fish are a lot more pricey. :(

My sister has one, it is lovely. I just sit and watch the fish when I'm over. ^_^

So congrats on them! Hoping all will go well for you. Will be watching for progress. :)

LOL @ Jo

I went through the tank with a torch last night and found Disgrunted Crab's little house (Yes, that is his name now, first time I've named a 'fish' in a while). I'll try to take a photo of him later, but it's such a dark spot I may have to kill him with flash to do it, lol.

Impatiently testing the tank every day, resisting the urge to do it twice. C'mon and finish your little mini-cycle, I want new fishies! :)

The rocks on the right hand side are starting to bother me, honestly. I don't really like the layout of them. Problem is, part of them is holding up the caves toward the middle which in turn are resting on the massive piece in the left corner. If I move one piece, I have to move them all, albeit just slightly. If I start moving things and decide I liked the other way better, I'll never be able to put them back the same way. Sigh. What to do??

Stuff I ordered from Guppy's arrived today.. The powerheads are WRONG and so are the nozzle attachments I ordered.. These look a cheaper and flimsy. Extremely unhappy here. I have to get ready for work so rant must end here.. :censor:

RE: Guppy's- oh bugger. Not good news, I just ordered a canister filter from them, hope I don't have any problems with that <_< . As for the tank, looking great Yan :cheer: and your clowns are lovely, they remind me a bit of my pair of gouramis with all that dancing and weaving. Even Mr Tang looks like he's got a smile on his face :lol: Jo