fishish

Guns n Roses male

This guy is a guns n roses HM DT but what actually is his colour? I think not an ideal DT? Am still unclear but it looks like a true DT is supposed to have their caudal divided into two lobes which he doesn't. He seems to have pretty good form? I know these are probably hideously terrible critique pics but best I can do atm :P lol his dorsal is very rarely straight up, just too heavy I think? soooo hard to get a pic! To make it worse, he swims around like a maniac when he's flaring, he's like one of those aerobatic planes that spin in circles and upside down as they plummet towards the ground! No joke really, he swims like that when excited :blink:

149547_10150093943648594_693283593_71498

76517_10150093940193594_693283593_714978

150197_10150093936358594_693283593_71497

76585_10150093932018594_693283593_714965

Beautiful!! Mine (which is almost identical to yours, though he got a bit beaten up by his girlfriend) doesn't hold his dorsal straight up much either. I think it's possibly just a little too much fin for one little fish.

He's yours' brother :D

Hope the damage your boy suffered isn't too bad?

Edited by fishish

Nah, nothing too dramatic. I separated them before their lovers tiff got too intense. With a bit of TLC he'll be fine in a couple of weeks.

Given that our children share the same parents, I'll be interested to see if anyone has any comments for your questions.

Hard to tell if he is a DT or not from the pic plus that you said there is no split in the tail but if you said you dont know if there is a split in the tail i would have say yes because he has Characteristics of a DT like the broad dorsal fin and heavy tail

as for colour name to me its a mustard gas

Do you think he may not be a DT?

He looks like one to me, and in the first & last photos, you can see in the middle of the caudal tail a darker spot, which I believe to be the overlapping of the two lobes. I've heard that when they flare they almost make a full circle, but I don't own any, nor have seen them in real life (sad isn't it), so I wouldn't know. To me, he also looks like a mustard gas.

His dorsal probably is really heavy for him. Sometimes I think Bettas can have too much finnage.. as much as I love the finnage.

It looks to me like his caudal fin folds over itself but i cannot see any split to create two lobes. I'm pretty certain the fin is not split. Its honestly so hard to see, i think id have to fish him out of the water (no pun intended ;) ) and have a poke around to see for sure. It definately folds into itself to some degree, just not sure if there could be a small split too....

I thought mustard gas for his fins, what about his body? Colour? and i think he's a dragon?

Edited by fishish

His dorsal fin isnt meant to split, his caudal fin is aka. his tail :P Looks to me that its split. But theres no doubt that this guy is a DT :P The massive dorsal pretty much confirms it..

Can look at the DT standards here - http://ausaqua.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=10278

Id say he's a Bicolour (commonly known as mustard gas) dragon with almost a full mask :D Seems to also be a bit rosetail which makes it harder for him to carry his fins.. overall I really like this guy :D He's absolutely gorgeous :D

OMG! TYPO I CAN EXPLAIN!!! lol I have fixed it :blush: Thanks :) he's quite the character too! :D

So mustard gas can have any body colour? They seem to typically have this kind of colour fins though I think??? If that be so.... alright theoretically speaking, if his fins were a different colour what colour would his body be? :D :giggle:

Edited by fishish

I think 'mustard gas' is just a name of a strain of bicolour betta, that seems to now refer to all bicolour bettas like this.. but Im not so sure..

This sites so useful - http://www.bettysplendens.com/articles/page.imp?articleid=968 :P He's just a dark bicolour :)

From the AAQ link to Joeps standards:

"The caudal fin of the doubletail is characterized by two caudal lobes. The two caudal lobes are allowed to overlap but should be separated by means of a split which runs up to the base of the peduncle. The form of the two caudal lobes of the doubletail together can be compared with a the shape of a capital letter ā€œDā€ "

So there should be a split, I can't see one on him.

From the second link I think my boys' colour on his fins that is the same as body colour is a fault? I thought it would be...

Edited by fishish

Mustard gas now commonly refers to any blue/yellow bi-colour fish. This can be steel blue/royal blue/turquoise metallic versions or dragon versions of blue( or"green") over yellow or orange(or mustard etc). However, the original mustard gas was a specific colour pattern with banding of yellow/ white in the fins with a dark blue body. The history of the name/the actual colour and the (somewhat incorrect) current use of the term can be found on Victoria starks website (bettysplendens.com).

Your fish does look like a DT with overlapping lobes. The volume of the fins makes it impossible to see clearly. I'm guessing that the split doesn't go all the way to the caudal peduncle which is a fault for DT, but, he seems to have equal lobes to the caudal which is good.

*Bit delayed* .. Im pretty sure I can see a split, though as Paul says, it doesnt look like it goes right to the end.. though its really hard to see.

See in the third pic the dark bit in the caudal? That would be the two lobes overlapping. :)

He is amazing!!!!!!

hahhaa so jealous! i would love one like him!

i would say he is a metallic blue/see-through blackish colour through out the tail

i actually just recently bought a double tail and unlike mine who's tail can easily be seen as a DT

yours has incredible body,

have you seen yet him with split tail? or is it just all connected?