Snap Happy

shadoh

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

He does look like a different fish, doesn't he? If he hadn't been jarred I wouldn't have witnessed the transformation and would never have picked it as being him. He is now a beautiful BF piebald marble! Let's hope he stays that way :)

As for how many, I'd say around the 100 mark. I have 35 jarred. Most of the fish left in the growout tank are female. I suspect there may be a boy or 3 hiding, but until they either sprout or start getting ultra aggressive, they can stay in there. I will, however keep jarring them for now, as I seem to get better growth that way. The girls can go back at a later stage. All are loving their IALs - lots of bubblenests waiting to greet me this morning :D

I'd love to Sarah, but after checking things out, it is too much of a hassle. Sorry :(

I'll hang onto the twins so you can keep up to date with their antics. If you ever make it to Brissie, Jeckle will be waiting for you :)

Aw, too bad. :(

Thanks for the Jeckle offer (you know he is my favourite).. just asked dad if we can drive up to Brissie. :P Going on family holiday soon-ish, asked if we could "keep on driving.. visit someone's, etc" he said it was ages away, too far away to worry about. :confused: Hmmmm.... I've always wanted to see Fishchicks, its been one of my life long dreams since like a month ago. *lol*

Edited by Sarah

I've almost got back on top of fish water changing/feeding duties. Did jars tonight, will get stuck into the tank tomorrow. I noticed that there have been some changes. A few of the girls I jarred have coloured up and others have sprouted into boys :D.

I love this one. I've got another 1 or 2 like her. Are the white scales dragon scales or just white scales? Either way, I like this pattern...

a-2.jpg

One of the girls that sprouted :D I am starting to get a few blue/white butterflies!

d.jpg

How did this girl get ray extensions like this? I wish her rays would branch, she would be a good candidate for my red rocket CT cross...

g.jpg

Believe it or not, Tigger has now lost all his blue and is now a lovely cellophane...

i.jpg

Another "girl" that's starting to sprout!

c.jpg

Excuse the soda water bottle distortion... :D

I'm adoring that first girl right now!!! :drool: Could be dragon scales.. but I'm not positive. Beautiful though. Hope she doesn't go changing..

:cheer: Yay for Butterflies! Very pretty.

Is that Frosty.. the kinda CT? Looks to be real ray extensions this time. :blink: *Goes and looks at parents :book: * Nope.. nothing I can see, except that Pam has tiny little extensions? :notsure:

TIGGER

Before

l.jpg

After

i.jpg

The wonderful marble gene.

That "girl" is absolutely beautiful! The colours are amazing. :betta:

Edit: Image links.

Edited by Sarah

Whoever figures that one out, Daniel, will be very rich! It's a genetic "mystery". The marble gene will switch other genes on and off at various times in seemingly random patterns. It seems to affect colour only, but god only knows if it can affect more than that. The speed at which it can do this is really quite amazing!

That truly is incredible. Never seen anything like it. Must be frustrating at the same time though, watching a beautiful fish that you like turn into something totally different. Works other way though too, I guess.

Do they finally stop changing or do they do this all there life? Sounds like a stupid question, even as I type it but I don't know........

It's fun to watch a fish change, especially this young, as changes are rapid. As for the changes stopping, having no 1st hand experience with marbles, I can only go on what I read online. Changes are supposed to slow down as the fish ages and a lot are said to eventually stop. The only frustration I find is getting excited about a particular pattern or colour and deciding to breed for it, only to find the next day the fish looks totally different. I am glad that some that have changed overnight have been jarred, as I would never find them in general population they look so different! :D

@ Sarah, you forgot the transitional pattern Tigger went through...

a-1.jpg

Edge is looking good :D (He has a twin who has greenish iridescence on him. I'll try to get a picture later)

h.jpg

This "girl" (still not 100% sure) has a lot of green iridescence

e.jpg

Another "girl" who sprouted

f.jpg

Remember Mo? She's turning out to be a beauty

b-2.jpg

Another thing I've noticed is that a lot of the girls are now starting to get black marbling in their tails. It is fascinating to watch...

Dorsal

d-2.jpg

Showing some black in her scales and caudal

c-2.jpg

Another "girl" has sprouted. He must have been in hiding. Finally caught him. I hope that it is him who has been taking chunks out of the girls fins...

a-3.jpg

Nice multi

e-2.jpg

Boy or Girl???

b-3.jpg

Dorsal is coming along very nicely. Too bad about the Dorsal though. :( Must have hurt. Lovely colours he has.. he reminds me a bit of Migaloo.

Nice blacky girl. :) Makes me think of that Black Cambodian. <_<

I do hope that boy is the big bully.. picking on girls, COME ON ... JEWEL BOX FRY!!

That is a very nice multi. :yes:

Pretty boy/girl.. hmmm....

I sold the first of these guys today. It was a to family friend. She chose 2 boys and 2 girls. I have approx 25 boys jarred and she had the cheek to say "I thought you would have had more males to choose from" I'm still not sure what she was expecting. I've been posting pics to facebook, so she knew exactly what types I had. Just one more friend to take his pick, then these babies will be in the classifieds section...

I almost had a last minute change of heart when she started umming and ahing, how could she not love every single one of my babies? <_< There is a big sense of accomplishment, but I also worry about whether they will be looked after properly. Gotta cut the cord sometime, I guess :D

Red Rockets are doing fine! Very happy little fish!