Snap Happy

shadoh

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm toying around with doing 2 spawns at once next time. I Imagine it would only get hard once they are all jarred. This spawn was so big, I had them in 2 tanks anyway, so no big change there...

I must be a sucker for punishment :blink: As I am not going away now over Christmas, I figure, what the heck? If I get organized now, the babies will be well over a month old by the end of my 3 weeks off work over Christmas/new year. :cheer:

No, it is way too early for that. Despite Migaloo's fast fin growth, he is still only half the size of an adult betta (and he is the biggest of the lot!) My next spawns will be my black orchard CT male x black/blue dragon HM female and my HM multicolour male x yellow dragon HM female. I'll put spawn logs up if they are successful.

Hey Shadoh.. Eric is a DT/VT isn't he? Have you found any fry with DT.. or do you have to wait until the next generation? Isn't DT recessive, especially since Pam is a single tail? I could be wrong.. I'm a hueg beginner when it comes to genetics and stuff.

Also - photo update? I know, I'm a bit of a nag with the photos, but we all love them! Especially Heckle & Jeckle. :love:

Yeah, that's right, he is. DT is recessive, as is PK (which is what Pam is...) so the next generation is going to be a real mixed bag. They are carrying genes for DT and PK, so I should get a mix of PKs, DTs and VTs (and I think DTPKs.) Now if I can get some pink butterfly versions of each out of Migaloo x Sibling spawn, I will be a happy man. I know chances of it happening are small, but I can (and do)dream :)

Oh, there will be the weekly video/photo shoot sometime over the weekend. Not a lot of change this week after Migs sudden fin growth earlier in the week...

Sounds great! I really hope that the Migaloo girl, really is that - female.

Sounds like the next generation is going to be great! Good luck for the future.. keep on dreaming, hopefully it will come true. :)

Now, it is 8PM Sydney time.. the competition should be announced any minute.

It's all good! :) You're not bugging me.

They eat grindals and instant brine shrimp mainly and I am trying to move them onto frozen bloodworms, but they're being stubborn and hold out for the grindals :D

Oh, and just noticed a couple have changed. There are 2 black and white marbles and one of them almost looks like a black cambodian... (Shhh, don't tell Paul...)

Anyway, off to make dinner!

Edited by shadoh

Haha! What Shadoh... Do you think that now that you have a couple fry that look like black cambodians that I'm now planning to come and steal your fish from you? I would never do that... Instead I would convince Yan to come up there and steal the fish that she was threatening to take from you, and then she could take some for me too while she's at it! lol

BTW, regarding introducing frozen bloodworms, have you tried putting in the bloodworms at the same time as putting in the grindals? This trick was recommended to me and it seemed to work to get my fry from BBS to chopped blackworm. The fry get excited about food (grindals) in the tank and so will attack anything that falls in the water at the same time. They soon recognize that the bloodworms are edible and attack them too.

Good luck

Edited by paul

I've also heard if you get a couple guppies (I would suggest females, brown if you can) that if they start eating the frozen food, the fry will too as they are very competitive for food. I'm not sure if it will work, as I'm really suggesting stuff I never tried.. but seems to make sense.

Just be consistent, and they will learn. Slowly, only ever so slowly, I would cut back on grindals too. I'm sure if they are stuffed on the nice food, they wouldn't want to eat the frozen (other than being pigs and will just keep eating).

Hmm... that's all I can think of now. Good luck.

Oh, how convient Paul popped up when you said "black cambodian". :P

Haha.... My babies are under lock and key :lol: If you do manage to get past a severe licking from my "watchdog" and get the fish, Brissie Paul, I'll just stalk out JL's shop, you seem to be there most days LOL and Sydney Paul, I hear on the grapevine that if you stand in front of a mirror and say "black cambodian" 3 times, you appear... :lol::blink:

Seriously though, thanks for the bloodworm ideas guys. I tried Paul's idea of feeding with grindals this morning (just a little bit), but they all turned their noses up. I'll try again for the next feed...