Snap Happy

shadoh

The Black Cambodian is back! YAY!!! :cheer:

I thought you would have had more males to choose from

*lol* Seriously? Too funny.

How could she not love all of the little jewels? Each one is a gem. :love:

Hope you can find loving homes for all of them. :)

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've been watching the black colour slowly creep back into her fins. Can't believe it!

As for the comment on variety, I just told her I have more bettas and more variety than most local pet stores (with the exception being Fishchicks!)

Paul, I'm too scared to point out favorites or fish I want to keep. It has been the kiss of death to them in the past. Every one I said I wanted to use for F2 now "sleeps with the fishes" *lol* Perhaps someone on here has a little fishy voodoo doll and sticks a pin in it whenever I get too excited... :D<_<

If you end up coming out on Thursday, I'll show you the ones I am keeping.

Come on Jarrod, your getting a bit slack. What's there names? They just feel like you don't care, like you have favorites. Almost like they are just a number. Lol.

Agreed.

They are all beautiful. My favourites out of these are #1, #3, #4, #7, #12, #13, #14 (Migaloo/Dorsal look-a-likie), #18, #19, #20 (Edge?). Of coarse the others are just as pretty too. :D

Thanks Sarah, #20 is the edge lookalike, he has a lot of green iridescence in his fins, but doesn't show too well in this pic (he's just recovered nicely from popeye.) I see you like the sparkliest of the jewels. I have to say, these late bloomers were worth the wait!

I forgot to point out that #16 is Tigger. Who would have thought?

Edited by shadoh

I have to say, I am loving the pastel blue/turquoisy metallic ones. At risk of bad luck, I really like #1. I thought it was a girl until I jarred it. The caudal has grown, has long ventrals, so I am crossing my fingers it's a boy I can cross with Inky :D

I reckon you try keep Sarah happy by keeping the shiniest and most colourful of this lot. Shiniest because F2 will probably yield the greatest range in iridescence if you breed the shinier ones. You will probably get dragons in the mixup too. Colourful because you already have seen that the marble gene tends to give you cellos, which can be disappointing just as you get all excited about a colour/pattern. Also, pick the ones with the best ray branching.

One factor that you may have already considered is to be careful in your selection in regards to the fish's top line. Might seem like a minor point, but an abnormal topline may be exacerbated by the fact that you'll be getting DTs out of F2 (they are - as Lilli put it - the hunchbacks of the betta world).

Only other thing I'd ask, is.... Do a cello x cello spawn. I think lots of us want to know how much the marble gene will affect the fry. Will you end up with a whole bunch of cellos, or a mix of colours?

I tell you what Paul, I'll do a cello x cello spawn if I can get a few people to guarantee to take some fry if they all turn out to be cello. :)

Actually, I wasn't even thinking about dragons, but yes, you are right, these guys do have that potential, especially with the high degree of iridescence some of these guys have.

Pam's a dragon. :)

Do both the sparkle sparkle spawn, and the cellophane. :)

I reckon you try keep Sarah happy by keeping the shiniest and most colourful of this lot.

Hehe.. are you sure it isn't really to keep you happy Paul? :P

Found this info on cello x cello crosses on Betty Splendens. Looks like it will be a go...

Clear bettas (also commonly known as Cellophanes, or 'cellos') are a common sight in fish rooms that breed marble bettas. The cello has a clear- or flesh-colored body and transluscent fins; often the cellos that crop up in marble spawns will start marbling as they mature. Alternately, marble bettas with good color contrast and separation may start losing their pattern with age and become cellos. Breeding cello to cello will usually produce a fine yield of cellos, marbles, and butterflies.