Snap Happy

shadoh

• Replies 288
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A few more from today...

I've never been a fan of blue/red multis until I saw this fry...

P3140383.jpg

Looks like this one will have a full mask!!!

P3150400.jpg

One of the royal blues starting to marble...

P3140381.jpg

Black and White marble...

P3140387.jpg

Steel Blue female(?)

P3150407.jpg

Edited by shadoh

Thanks Sarah. Just about every colour in the paintbox... :unsure:*lol*

I expected pastel blues and marbles. The royal blues were a mystery until Pam turned that colour. I wondered if red would show up. Eric has a red dot the size of a match head on his caudal. Just didn't expect that much.

Oops, I meant Turq, not pastel blue. Just looking at Eric again, he does have a pinky body like Migaloo under the turquoise iridescence, so I guess that's where that colour comes from. I read on Betty Splendens earlier that you will get butterflies in a marble pairing, so that's where that comes from and I guess Eric carries the red as well. I'm a beginner when it comes to genetics too, so don't worry. Everything I know now is from reading and asking questions during the last 2 months. :)

Just doing a waterchange and discovered 2 things...

1. - I have a houdini fish somewhere in the tank. One of the bottles was empty. Not 100% sure, but I think it is one of the royal blues. Since they (the R.Blues) all look the same, I am going to have to watch for signs of aggression, as he is behaving himself atm to escape detection.

2. - No pattern is set in marble fry :( Yeah, I know, it was silly to think that the 2 marble phenotype fry I have would stay looking the same. The "black cambodian" one has just about marbled out and is almost cellophane. The blue marble now has a white face and looks like it is starting to lose colour too. Oh well, that's the fun of marbles and I wouldn't change it for the world. *lol*

Anyway, back to the waterchange...

On the good side, I jarred Migaloo's potential partner so I can keep an eye on "her" development. I've noticed the start of her caudal rays branching. Mig really sprouted after this happened with him, so if it is going to happen with this one, I'll know for sure in a week or two!

I forgot to mention that it is now possible to tell the difference between Heckle and Jeckle. Heckle is starting to marble. He has a blotch of black pigment next to one of his eyes. If it gets any bigger, it will join up to his other eye and will look like a little betta version of a zorro mask. He also is getting a grey/steel looking wash in parts of his fins. Jeckle has red wash coming back into his fins and his ventrals have gone a deep red colour.

I haven't given the "girl" a name. Keeping with the Aboriginal name theme, let's call her Mirrhi. It is an Aboriginal name meaning "little girl". While doing a search, I also found this article. More coincidence - there is a whale named Mirrhi. Which also fits, as Migaloo was named after a whale too!

I will try and get some photos for you! :D

Heckle giving ATTITUDE!!! This shows his "beauty spot"

P3160420.jpg

Heckle side on...

P3160416.jpg

Mirrhi... After looking at this pic, I am thinking now that "she" is a "he"... Any expert opinions?

P3170355.jpg

Jeckle... In real life, you can't see any of this blue iridescence. Just the red.

P3170360.jpg

Blue Marble

P3160425.jpg

Edited by shadoh

Very nice photos! Thank you. :D

I love them all, and I like Heckle's beauty spot!

Mirrhi is lovely, and would make a wonderful match for Migaloo. I don't know if she is a he though. The ventrals and quite long...

The blue marble is pretty, I'm very keen on the patches! Well done, you are so lucky to have such beautiful fry!

Is the last black & white marble the black cambodian?

Thanks Sarah. I am not too sure about Mirrhi, I also noticed the length of the ventrals and that is what is giving me doubts. As I said earlier, we will know for sure in a week or two now "her" caudal is branching. I am pretty sure that the blue marble is female. I think I saw her ovipositor. Her fins seem overall smaller, and then there is the body shape...

Yes the B&W marble is/was the black "cambodian"

Edited by shadoh

We'll just have to wait & see if Mirrhi is female.

Yes, the blue marble did seem quite feminine to me too. Would you like to breed the blue marble one day?

Too bad about the black cambodian, sure he(?) is nice and all, but to stay a black cambodian would have just been awesome. Anyways, he(?) is still very nice looking. :)

Ahhh!! My internet service keeps dropping out today. As I was saying before I was cut off and lost everything; I am pretty sure the black marble is a boy from his behaviours and long ventrals. As to breeding the blue marble, I am unsure. I have to make a couple of decisions about where I want to go with this line. I will probably sell her, as her mother is blue marble AND HM, so it would be wiser to use Pam in any further blue marble experiments. I have my eye on some clean pastels in this lot and want to try and fix Migaloos BF colours into a future line.

With all the fry and the many, many colours I'm sure it is very hard to pick which ones to breed. Good luck!

What about Heckle & Jeckle, any future plans for them.. they are kind of pastely.

Hope the connection goes well.

Hey, if you are entering in the Christmas Competition, you could have a Baby's First Christmas display! That would be adorable. :dance:

At the end of the day, I think it will be best to wait and see what they look like once they are fully grown. I like the direction that Heckle is taking colour wise (a steel and black marble would be nice), but don't like where Jeckle's colouring is going. There could be a runt that I haven't noticed just waiting to bloom!

I have a few ideas for the Xmas comp, but finding the time to do what I want is another thing...

Hope they all bloom quickly. A steel & black marble would be just amazing! I've heard often it is the runts that turn out the best of the spawn, so maybe Jeckle and any other smallies are just waiting to impress you.

Yeah, time sure can get away on you. I hope you and everyone else can fit it in. I myself homeschool so do not have to be a school 6hrs a day. Plus with mum (she tore her calf muscle) we are pretty much here all day. That's why I got mine in. It only took 15mins- of me though as I knew what I wanted, plus already have the stuff.

As a tip, filter floss makes great snow. Just pin it down with a pebble or two.. ;)

Editing the time I used. It took less than 15mins, and I bumped 30.

Edited by Sarah