Migaloo is Sprouting

shadoh

I like that name. Wonder if the pink-purple BF will set.

It is good there are a few fry with similar patterning. At least one will have to be a girl!

Now, I really should get back to school.. I'm having a 'break'.. must find diagram on water desalination plant..

The problem with butterfly is that genetically speaking, it's supposedly the same as marble. It seems that in a butterfly spawn, some will be marble and vice versa. I've read of lines which tend to be able to maintain a majority of fry that are BF, but they still get marbles in those spawns.

So potentially, spawning Migaloo and Missusloo could result in the same extreme variety in fry that you have now. I guessing though that Migaloo (and partner) might be a Cambodian - if so, you'd expect ALL light bodied fry from this pairing. If he and missus are just clear body as a result of the marble gene though ... the colour range is likely to be as extensive as the current spawn (perhaps even moreso if they are both royal blue irid over - as you would then get all three variations of "blue").

I don't expect to get a line exclusively of BF, I just want to be able to tell people down the track that if they buy a pair from this line, they will get a certain percentage that will breed true to the strain. As I don't know what else the parents of this spawn were carrying, I guess it will take a couple of generations to find out.

I have been assuming that half the fry are cambodian based due to the fact that from the moment they hatched, half were light bodied - marbling doesn't show until they start to colour up. Where does the pink colour come from? Which layer/s cause this? It sits over the flesh layer. Is it a mix of the blue and red layer with the black layer "turned off" ? (see overhead view below You can see a patch where it doesn't cover.)

5186112561_8a917dc1ea.jpg

Edited by shadoh