My babies are growing

shadoh

Yeah, I though Eric was a VT DT.. VT is super dominant. Well they sure carry lots of nice genes!

Too bad about the blue marble. Maybe you should name it quick! ^_^

I think I'm seeing things.. could that be a CT or cT @ 1:57? Nah.. it can't be.. must be the lighting. :confused:

I just discovered MORE I love (love them all though). the two black marbles @ 2:50.. and I quite like the one straight after them too, though I'm not sure if it is black or blue.. maybe a green. Probably blue.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am so annoyed at how dark this movie turned out. The lighting was exactly the same as the previous movies! I hope it is just a setting thing and not a sign of the camera on it's way out!

The fish that you thought might be a CT isn't. It is Mirrhi (gotta find a new name now he's a boy - can't call him a name that means little girl :D) he is losing the red BF banding and has white BF banding with clear banding at the ends. What you saw was his white rays extending into the clear part of the tail :)

The 2 black marbles are actually blue (see what I mean about the stupid darkness of the video?) The one on top is the blue marble you like... The one straight after is one of the royal blues :D :D

Maybe it is just a setting...

Well, I thought it couldn't be a CT in this spawn. I'm sure you will find a new name for Mirrhi. I can't seem to find what "little boy" is in Aboriginal.. but Nerang is "the little one" and Matari is "Man".

Too bad, blacks would have been so lovely, but of coarse blue isn't a disappointment! I thought one of the "black marbles" looked familiar.

Ponenye - Little Brother

Ponto - Also means Little Brother

Puku ' arrka - Baby Boy

Pama - another name for Man

Maji - Hungry. Good for a Betta right? :P

And the names above I'll repeat anyway.

Nerang - Little one

Matari - Man

Thanks for that great research Sarah! :D

I think either Maji or Matari will fit the "M" theme I had going with Migaloo and Mirrhi.

I think I fixed the resolution issues with the video camera during my lunch break. I will upload during my afternoon tea break. You'll be happy to know one of the marbles have a black head!

Thanks for the kind words Delyall :D

You're welcome. :) The "M" theme is going well. I would name them depending on how well I can pronounce the name. :lol: Looking forward to the new video, it is good that it was just the settings.

Black head? GREAT! ^_^ Can't wait to see little Inky Face!

Here is a lighter video. You actually get a better idea of colours here!

RIP Eric :( Your babies will carry your genes through to the next generation :)

Sarah, you've given me an idea - the one with the black head is now called Inky!

Edited by shadoh

Great, lost my comment. <_< Don't you just hate that?

:rip: Eric. I'm sorry to hear that. Happy though he was a good daddy, and left lots of fry who will carry his genes on.

The fry are all so cute!!!

And a cutie at 57secs, and I like the colour on the one at 2:30. I think that one was also shown near the end of the video too.

Thanks for using the name Inky, I was really thinking about our chick (who is also named Inky, though is fully black except a patch on its belly). He/she sure is cute. I hope Inky won't change.. but I doubt he will stay with that marble coming. Inky was quite a star in that video.. oh then he yawns at 3mins! How adorable is that? Are you going to jar him/her to keep an eye on little Inky?

You must be so proud of them!

When you are ready to sell some (if you can part with them that is) would you be willing to ship down? I would adore some (because I can't have them all :tongue:) of them.

What are they eating now? Nearly 3 months now, they probably could be eating dry foods, maybe frozen with the treat of live.. but I like watching Bettas hunt down live food. I never tire of it!

Edited by Sarah

Here is this weeks growth video. Whenever I convince myself there has been no growth, I just look back a week or two and see I am wrong. Inky cellophaned out and now has a black stripe between his eyes. He looks loke he is wearing glasses! *lol*

Shimmer Shimmer!!! Oh, they are so shiny!

Cute Inky! B) Looks like he has been blotched with ink!

Pretty tri-coloured one @ 3:30! Love the colours.

Poor little dorsal-less one. :( He has such lovely finnage. Naughty Eckle Twins!!!!

I see a beauty at 5:20!!! Pretty pretty Betta! :drool: When this little one has the spot light I can see Migaloo trying to get attention! *lol*

THERE IS THE STAR! Does he know he is shown at the end? I don't think he will be too happy about that Jarrod. He should be first, and always in view! :scold: Sorry Migaloo. Too bad. :NOPITY:

I love the way they are jarred too. The bottles are a great idea! I must start hoarding them up. Though we don't drink much soft drink, only on special occasions. Maybe I'll collect a couple from Christmas.

The one @ 3:30 is Jeckle. The beauty @ 5:20 is the un named Lavender one from last weeks photos. I told you that Migs had been demanding his close up all video shoot. *lol* I thought that I'd give the others more of the spotlight for a change and put him in last. <_< Unfortunately, it didn't put him in his place, it just convinced him that he is sooo special, they are his support act :dance::blink:

You could always ask friends and family to keep empty bottles for you. I gave up soft drink this year (drank way too much of the stuff...), but couldn't give up the bubbles, so now drink soda water. That's what I use - 2.25lt home brand soda water bottles :D

Oh my Jeckle!!! What a sight you are! :applaud: I should've been able to recognize him - he is one of my favourites. I blame the marble. :P Anways, I picked you out as a pretty one Jeckle! That's ought to count for something. :rolleyes:

I had to laugh at Migs. He has such a big head. :lol:

Well, maybe we'll get some just for my fish.. we got some soft drink as I wanted the bottles for my Brine Shrimp, and was like "hurry, hurry.. drink it all!" The first cup or so was OK.. then everyone went off and didn't want to drink two large bottles are once. <_<

You must be so proud of your fry Shadoh! Have you spawned before? I think I recall something about a break.. and this was a kick into the Bettas again, but I may be wrong. -_-

No, you have it right. I tried quite a few times years and years ago, but because I listened to the pet shop and fed them on liquifry, then powdered flake and didn't know how important water changes were, no more than 5 survived to adulthood per spawn. I gave up trying, as I thought it was too hard with too few results. My sister, who shared a unit with me when I was trying to breed bettas the first time around, thought that I must have bred a dozen pairs to get the quantity of fry I have this time *lol*

I'm sure Jeckle will forgive you, but Heckle is mad you thought he was inky :lol:

And, yes I am proud! If I can do it, ANYONE can...

THAT WAS HECKLE!?! Oopies. Sorry Heckle & Jeckle.. you didn't tell them did you Shadoh? :embarrass:

If I had tried with such few results (due to LFS) I would have gave up. It is good you came back, these Jewels are really something!

Recently, a LFS near me had a spawn of Bettas (I think the dad was a multi, and the mum I can't remember). Anyway, at 4 weeks old, they were the size of 1wk fry, and there wasn't very many. Anyway I was told they ate the same as the adults (most likely flakes) and were fed a small amount once every three days!!! No water changes ever.. They had live plants in the tank, so they must have got some infusoria from that, but not much.

Well, last month I asked the guy working there "What happened to the Betta Fry?" as I couldn't find any. He was like "the what?" I said.. "BET-TA FRY". "WHAT!?!" So then I went on to "the siamese fighting fish fry". Then, unbelievably, he said "FIGHTER WHAT!?!". Trying not to hang my mouth open I said.. "the fighter babies.. they were here last time I came.. in that tank there..". THEN he said with a shrug "oh, they died. We don't know why, no reason at all really". UNBELIEVABLE!!! I think they should have fish training when they choose to work there. You do get the odd LFS person who really knows what is what, but most don't. I did tell them what should be done with the fry to help them grow and feeding suggestions - they said they will look into it, obliviously they didn't. Anyway, sorry for that, it was off topic. Did it distract Heckle & Jeckle??

Every week I think "they are so beautiful.. surely they can't get any prettier", but every week I'm surprised and happy to know I'm wrong.

They are just adorable.

Little Frosty (not a CT) confused me again - I thought for a second (no more) that he was a DT. Tricky little thing. <_<

I love all the butterflies, and the royals.. every single one of them. :love:

Your setup looks amazing (2:11)! So pretty, for the pretty fish of coarse! Did you buy it like that, or is it a long tank with dividers?

Sorry about Migaloo. Such sad news. :byebye:

Bettas just squeeze into anything.. even if there is no gap they make a gap. No one would've know this would happen.. so sad. :alright:

:rip: Migaloo.

Thanks guys :D I am so proud of my babies!

LOL @ Sarah, Frosty's disguises get you just about every week! Let's see him try and make you think he is royal blue! :D Thanks re: the setup. It is the tank I bought in September. It has built in dividers. It was that way when I bought it.

If any of the bettas was to worm into an impossible place, it would be Migs. He was the most inquisitive of the fry :) Now I am unsure what direction to take this line. The idea was to use him to try and get more butterflies like him. Now I am unsure, as there are no more lavender BFs :(

Where is my comment?!?!?! I hate that. :devil:

I have a little tank with built in dividers - there are 3 sections, each 2L.

Anyhoos.. I don't think Frosty could get me with that. :fyi: It has only been twice - CT, and DT.. not every week thank you very much. :tongue:

Is there any other BF's at the moment? I mean, non- lavender BF's seeing as Migs & Mr. Lavender were the only ones. :scared:

Edit: my comment came back, don't want TWO comments eh?

Edited by Sarah

Frosty is one of the only Bfs left. Jeckle is a BF atm, but looks like he is about to change again :D I think I'll just have to wait now for the rest to mature...

Pam and Migs in 2 days has been a blow to my breeding program plans :rip: Perhaps it was a blessing in disguise. Perhaps I'll go for blue/white dalmations like Heckle, or put together the 2 cleanest royal blues... <_< ......the possibilities....

Edited by shadoh