My Abstract Planted Tank/Spawning Tank

With the filter you could disperse the water flow a bit if you get a long bit of pipe (eg. PVC hose or gravel filter hose) block off the end (or kink it) and putĀ  in heeps of largish holes about 3mm wide, (yes it would be time consuming) then attach it to the end of the filter outlet, you would have to be careful, if you dont put in enough holes you could put too much stress on the filter (ive nevr done this B4 so I dont know what exactly it could do) what i am actually trying to suggest is a system similar to this:

Posted Image

(this one was on ebay for $17)

<{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks for that Idea Jazz :cheer:

But it's the intake of the power filter that I'm worried about...Does reducing the output of the filter as in above diagram, reduce the intake flow rate? Remember this tank is a fry tank...

Stefan,

Sorry, coming in a bit late to the conversation... have you seen my tank? I put all my tropical plants into cheap shot glasses, 6 for $1.25. Under the gravel is half a clay ball and a teaspoon of potting mix. The shape of the glasses makes it easy to pull the plant out without damaging it and replace clay balls, rinse out the gravel etc every few months, because they will go green eventually.

The goldfish fry tank has small anchovy jars full of thin val same set up with clay balls and just elodea and aluminium plant floating free but shot glasses work better because the top is wider.

http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/home/bren/photos/bachlorpad.JPG

You can get the shot glasses at practically any asian importer shop... Yen Huot, etc... or I've even picked them up at Spoils for $2 for 6. I find it much easier to care for the plants and keep the tank clean using jars. The tank in the photo gets a lot of indirect light from the window (which I believe is good for crowntails) so everything has to be wipeable.

Archived