How can I filter my new tank?

shadoh

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job Jarrod, well done. If I didn't firmly believe that Husband would shoot/divorce me (or both and probably in that order! :lol: ) that set-up would have me running around town on a rescue mission!! A local plumber has a lovely (but sad) VT in vase :censor: and one of the local publicans keeps one behind the bar in a BEER JUG :censor: The receptionist in the plumbers told me "Oh, its OK, its only for decoration". My response was "So are you apparently!" whereupon Husband gave her a copy of the Betta care sheet and removed me from the premises before I really strained her brain for her :devil: . NannaJo B)

Thanks Jo! The only thing keeping me from mounting a betta rescue mission is the knowledge that I have 4 pairs of fish arriving to fill those empty barracks... The receptionist is probably lucky that your hubby stepped in or she'd need her own rescue mission :)

There is a coffee shop I used to go to that had a sad looking VT in a small container of no more than 500mls of water also being used as a tip jar. I said something to the manager about it and she said she had no idea that bettas couldn't be kept like that and would look into it. I went back the following week and the container was still there with a new sad looking VT in it. There was another new addition - a sign next to the fish that read: "Fish and tank proudly supplied and maintained by ______ pet store." I walked out and I have not been back.

Looks awesome!! Good work on the mini sump sorta system, for my mini tanks I just bought a hang on filter for each one while I was on holidays. Dirt cheap in Malaysia, something like $3 each.

Figured out what/how you'll set up the 5 ft?

• 3 months later...

4 months on and I am happy with the job I did. I did away with the individual polytube outlet pipes, as they keep getting blocked. I have the airline tubing poked under the gaps into the gravel in each individual barrack. The water seems to be circulating properly and the waste is being sucked down through the gravel, under the partition and into the sump.

I lost my pair of red rocket crowntails to dropsy this week, so stripped everything back and sterilized the lot. I replaced the gravel. All other fish in the tank seem happy and healthy...

P8150023.jpg

P8150028.jpg

P8150021.jpg

P8150017.jpg

P8150013.jpg

• 1 year later...

I will be revising the design once again next month. I'll be doing away with the gravel and inserting a piece of sponge in each gap at the bottom of each barracks to prevent the fish swimming under the divider into the sump and to add a little bio filtration.

Why? The plastic mesh I have to keep the gravel being sucked into the sump is constantly coming loose and floating to the top and the gravel gets sucked into the sump. I want the individual barracks to be bare bottomed for easier cleaning - I'm getting sick of cleaning gravel - by the time I vac the gravel in half the containers, I need to top up to be able vac the rest, then do another waterchange, making the entire job harder than it should be... Also it will look more minimalistic. I'm into minimalism at the moment and these fish must be zen!

OK, here comes the idiot questions.

Water pumps out of the airline into each section right? What causes the water and waste to be drawn in to the back compartment?

By doing away with the plastic mesh, won't that stop waste being drawn in to the back sump section?

Could you not have a one long piece of plastic mesh that runs behind the rear glass panel at the bottom and make a couple of little slots at each end for it the slide in to?